Guide question

leroy

Son went with some friends to Oklahoma on a guided hunt. He said the guide would take their gun and shoot along with them. IMO it isn't right, now if all the group has their limits yeah but they didnt. Whats everyone else's experience?

Last edited:

Duckbuster82

Most guides will carry a gun but not shoot. They will carry it Incase someone in the party has an issue with their own gun. If the guide sees that the party is struggling with shooting he may jump in and knock some birds down. Bigger pile means bigger tip and often helps to get more hunts booked. Now there is also the case of where the client should say they wish for the guide not to shoot, but they should not also expect to kill the guides limit. There is also some rules about wether a guide can shoot in certain states or countries too.

leroy

The guide was shooting ducks, my son and friends are hunters and were not struggling in their shooting to top it off there weren't that many birds so that makes it that much worse. I can assure you im not going to give a bigger tip because the guide added to the pile lol. His friends have used this guide for several years and did good and say certain guides will shoot every year. They keep going back so it must not bother them but I wouldnt like it.

BaldofPate

When you are part of a larger group, say 4-6 people, you are basically hunting for the groups limit not your own. When that many people pop up and shoot at a group, and they start falling most people may think they killed what they were shooting at, but don't really know for sure unless it's off one of the ends of the blind/s. No one is sitting there saying ok, John got 2, Joe got 3, and Sam is really whiffing on them today. I've had guides shoot along with us, and not even take a gun, or have one and only use it for clean up duty if needed. As long as the guide is busting his tail, and doing all he can do to help my group have a successful hunt I don't care if he shoots or not. In our modern age of social media, you have to also think that the post hunt pictures that the guide, and hunters will post following the hunt will look better with 22 mallards than 18.

leroy

Took my oldest on a inshore fishing trip years ago guide pulls his pole out starts catching fish before either of us, and continued, needless to say he didnt get much of a tip.

Duckbuster82

Seems like a trend, guide thinks y’all need some help.jk

That’s beat up on the fishing guide, but if your boys hunted with the guide before i feel like he didn’t take a gun before or you would of asked this before. He probably new hunting was going to be slow so he brought a gun to help add to the pile. Most people that go with a quide expect great hunts and piles no matter the circumstances. Like it’s been said before the more birds killed the happier most clients are and the pictures help book more trips from social media and what not.

leroy

Seems like a trend, guide thinks y’all need some help.jk

That’s beat up on the fishing guide, but if your boys hunted with the guide before i feel like he didn’t take a gun before or you would of asked this before. He probably new hunting was going to be slow so he brought a gun to help add to the pile. Most people that go with a quide expect great hunts and piles no matter the circumstances. Like it’s been said before the more birds killed the happier most clients are and the pictures help book more trips from social media and what not.

In previous years they piled them up, this was my sons first time going with them they didnt have many this year and weather played alot into that and even my son wasnt fussing, as i said its all me.

leroy

I guess my thing is if im paying you to put me on ducks then you stand up and shoot them its sorta counter productive lol

tucker80

I've seen them shoot cleanup (paying group's empty and a bird still in range) and for cripples. But the main volleys they leave their gun sitting. I never minded getting an extra limit when the birds are there. We tip based in service and effort. Not how big the pile is.

critterbait

I've never had a problem with the guide shooting most of the ones I hunt with in Arkansas do. Never needed a fishing guide but if I did it wouldn't bother me if he fished to. Like tucker80 said my tip is based off service and effort.

heres the deal. A lot of people that hunt with a guide are not big hunters. maybe corporate guys for example that hunt once or twice a year. the guide wants to get in there get the group limit and get out to let his spot rest. he does not want to be in there all day burning his spots up, so he shoots to speed up the process.

leroy

Ive never hired a duck guide, but guess if there were plenty of ducks might be ok with it but if my group is coming out with no limits and not the result of bad shooting but lack of ducks and part of the kills are the guides then again I wouldnt be a happy camper.

Juan De

I went to Washington Sea duck hunting, guide and his son both carried a gun, we split up. They only shot as clean up for cripples or we invited them to shoot on the big groups that came in. We were only after taxidermy birds. I’d go back with them in a second, great folks.

jdgator

If I didn't want a guide shooting I would have spoken up in the hunt. Guides are usually willing to accommodate that kind of request. But they can't read minds. I probably would have asked him to wait until we had each shot three shells before he finished off the flight.

Red Dawg

My experience with guides has always been, I am paying him to take me where the birds, ducks or fish are at. I am not paying him to fish or hunt and every guide I have used tole me to keep shooting or fishing until I had both limits. The guide then cleaned and bagged up the fish birds or ducks. If your guide is not doing that then you are just paying someone to hunt with them. Heck I need to start charging all my dead beat buddies. Hahahaha