Gun Restoration

huntfish

I have 2 of my grandfather's guns that I am thinking about getting restored. One is a single shot 20 GA that has a cracked butt. The other is a single shot 22 that is held together with electrical tape. Yes, electrical tape. I remember my grandpa hunting squirrels with it back in the 60's and the tape was present then so it might just remain. Both are shootable.

Anybody know a good gunsmith around the Atlanta area? I'm in Hoschton.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have 2 of my grandfather's guns that I am thinking about getting restored. One is a single shot 20 GA that has a cracked butt. The other is a single shot 22 that is held together with electrical tape. Yes, electrical tape. I remember my grandpa hunting squirrels with it back in the 60's and the tape was present then so it might just remain. Both are shootable.

Just a thought,the guns are full of memories as they are. If you completely refinish or renew them,that’s all gone. The value in dollars are minimal either way,if you keep them as you remember him using them, they’re priceless.

killerv

Sounds like you dont need to do a lot to them, both easy fixes, a lot of those old 22 singles were held together by a single screw in the stock to the receiver, easily found. A crack in the buttstock, just spread it and shoot some wood glue in and clamp. Some 0000 steel wool and kroil works wonders on the cleaning up any metal issues.

Last edited:

mwood1985

I've used Kenny at The Gun Pro Shop in Ellijay. Hes built two rifles for me on 98 mauser actions this year. One in 25-06 and one in .257 Roberts. Great work

Attachments

• 20230718_083447.jpg
    20230718_083447.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 30

BeerThirty

I have a Browning sweet 16, Belgium made in '53 that I inherited from my dad, that he inherited from his father. It's maybe seen one box of shells in it's lifetime, so it's literally in pristine condition. Took it to a highly recommended, old-school gunsmith about 4 years ago because I was willing to pay for a professional cleaning/lube once-over service on it. The gunsmith couldn't get over how nice condition it was in, kept complimenting me. He turned me down, said it was so nice he didn't want to risk messing with it and probably didn't need it.

specialk

my dad inherited a stevens 22 crack shot from grandaddy. it was the familys hog killing gun, all my GD brothers used it as well..my dad would shoot tree rats in the yard with it..it was in rough shape and he got a guy to redo it. turned out nice, almost like new, but it turned into a different gun...it wasn't the same gun GD passed down.....id clean that gun up as good as possible and then leave it alone....

Big7

The Oracle
I've used Kenny at The Gun Pro Shop in Ellijay. Hes built two rifles for me on 98 mauser actions this year. One in 25-06 and one in .257 Roberts. Great work
That's some good- and good looking rifles right there.

Love those Mausers.
My second favorite bolt actions.

Almost bought one yesterday but it was a Turkish in 8X57. They are "decent" but not like German, Swedish, etc.. I got some other stuff on lay-a-way that needs picking up too so I passed.

It was a tad bit to beat up to fool with but it was "only" $275.00. I bet he would have took 200$ spot cash.

Anyway... Yours sure are nice. :rockon:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve done both. I’ve a couple shotguns that are as they have been forever and will stay that way. I’ve a double barrel and .22 passed down to me I restored. They look like the days I hunted with them as a boy. The value didn’t change much and their not going any where.

Reactions: Dub

mwood1985

They shoot right nice too. Ive got a few more of em too. An 8mm sporter built in Germany a 7x57 Mauser on a 98 action 3 6.5x55 Swedish two are m96 actions and ones a 98. All of them are **** fine hunting rifles. Im a sucker for a Mauser. But then I also have Townsend Whelen saying "only accurate rifles are interesting" burned in my brain haha.
That's some good- and good looking rifles right there.

Love those Mausers.
My second favorite bolt actions.

Almost bought one yesterday but it was a Turkish in 8X57. They are "decent" but not like German, Swedish, etc.. I got some other stuff on lay-a-way that needs picking up too so I passed.

It was a tad bit to beat up to fool with but it was "only" $275.00. I bet he would have took 200$ spot cash.

Anyway... Yours sure are nice. :rockon:

westcobbdog

Bill Haylar is good and lives near the top end perimeter in Sandy Sorings. I think his number is 404 255 2710.
He has worked on numerous guns for me and very reliable.

Latest posts