Heads Up - Midway USA (let’s also rate/review the gear!)

JHannah92

I'll review my prairie creek stuff. I've had the vest, pants, and jacket since this time last year. Very happy with them. Windproof and fairly warm without bulk. I usually wear a fleece base layer under them and stay warm into the mid 30s. In fact I've only used my big insulated coat once this season.

Sixes

I've used their merino wool layers for the last 3-4 years and they are as top notch as any brand out there. I own some from Minus 33, Black Ovis, first lite and the Midways brand is right up there with them.

It's not just their brand that they run great sales on, I bought a bunch of First Lite stuff when they cleared it out a few years back for about a third of normal price.

I saw where they are running Sitka gear at a discount right now, so you are best served to check everything on sale.

Jim Boyd

Just ordered another set of Merino wool base layers.

The supplies and options are def dwindling down....

Jim Boyd

I've used their merino wool layers for the last 3-4 years and they are as top notch as any brand out there. I own some from Minus 33, Black Ovis, first lite and the Midways brand is right up there with them.

Awesome news and thanks !

JROESEL

Ordered a pile of gear, it came in and I’m having to send all off the jackets back for being little tight, I ordered the xl in the fork horn jacket, I’m 6’3 220, and if I where something under them, then it looks like I’m heading to the gym, so I’ve sent it back and have it being swapped out for 2x, just wanted to give a heads up
JIM i just wore a pair of those gloves running down the lake when it was 31 degrees and my hands never got cold
It’s definitely quality gear!!

1982ace

Received my Frazier ridge jacket today from MidwayUSA. Really impressed with coat other than the sleeves being bulky. I went in the yard and shot my bow without any trouble though. I ordered a xl and probably could have used a large.
But by the time I add some thermals underneath it will be ok. Going to be a great late season jacket at a steal for $60! Thanks for the heads up Mr Jim!

Jim Boyd

Going to be a great late season jacket at a steal for $60!

Good deal Ace. Glad you like it.

I have had mine a few years now and it is still in 100% condition.

Not sure if you got the pants also but being warm on the stand - a lot of it comes from your lower core.

Best of luck in the Midwest.

Jim Boyd

I can’t offer an in field review on the Merino base layers and gloves but I can tell you the sewing is excellent and the fabric is smooth and even.

I have not had 100% merino wool before but am def looking forward to evaluating them.

Based on what I see, the reputation of wool in general and comments on this forum, I ordered another set.

I will wear them alone in mild weather (30 F) and over a set of Under Armour when it is cooler (well below freezing).

1D211FDE-224A-4F1C-8489-B83C08B655AE.jpeg

I ordered the merino wool base layer shirt and pants. I also ordered the Prairie Creek 1/4 zip hoodie and pants. Great deal. It all seems like great stuff, but none of it fit right. I’m 5’6” and 165 lbs. I got mediums. Everything was significantly too long. Additionally, I thought the 1/4 zip hoodie was snug fitting. Again, stuff looks great, I wish it fit, but it’s just not a great fit for me.

livetohunt

My MT050 is THE warmest gear I have, even better than the Wooltimate.

Great stuff.
I agree. This is what I use in the Midwest and have 2 sets of the parka and pants combo..The warmest outerwear I have found..But I think they are discontinuing the MT-50 gear now?

Ugahunter2013

I bought a rain suit last year from Midway at a great price. Tried it out a few weeks ago and there is nothing rainproof about it. I did also buy some bibs that have worked well.

shdw633

I bought a rain suit last year from Midway at a great price. Tried it out a few weeks ago and there is nothing rainproof about it. I did also buy some bibs that have worked well.

I was going to buy their rain gear this year until I read the complaints about it not really be rainproof and having issues with the zippers. This just made me feel better about not purchasing the set.

Twinkie .308

Not sure which rain suit y'all are talking about but I got the Cold Bay jacket and pants. They seem like quality to me. I've tried them out in the rain and they seem to be rain proof so far. I like how the hood extends past the bill of my hat too. My last rain suit didn't do that. They don't have zippers on the pockets but they do have flaps. I do wish they had zippers and flaps.0142020232433.jpg0142020233429.jpg014202023348.jpg

shdw633

How long were you in the rain. Those were the ones I was going to get. The reviews stated it doesn't hold up when you're out in the rain for a while, like a sit in the stand and that the zippers break easily.

A question that someone might be able to answer for me. I recently purchased a jacket, the "Hunter's Creek Parka" as part of the gift package for our WW gift hunt next month. I'm hoping that the quality is as good as I've found in other "Hunter's Creek" gear. The jacket is touted as Windproof & Waterproof, and if there are any with experience, good or otherwise, please do speak up. Thanks!

Attachments

• thumbnail-47.jpeg
    thumbnail-47.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Not sure which rain suit y'all are talking about but I got the Cold Bay jacket and pants. They seem like quality to me. I've tried them out in the rain and they seem to be rain proof so far.

Based on this review and pics, I ordered the Cold Bay rain jacket and pants.

If you order in Realtree Edge (the cheapest pattern) the pants and jacket are $43 combined.

Other patterns are considerably more.

I care not about the camo style or pattern. I wanted the best price.

I did not have enough in the cart to make free shipping so I added a two pack of Midway merino wool socks for $20.

I have never gotten a bad product from Midway so order I did....

Thanks Twinkie 308!

JHannah92

Based on this review and pics, I ordered the Cold Bay rain jacket and pants.

If you order in Realtree Edge (the cheapest pattern) the pants and jacket are $43 combined.

Other patterns are considerably more.

I care not about the camo style or pattern. I wanted the best price.

I did not have enough in the cart to make free shipping so I added a two pack of Midway merino wool socks for $20.

I have never gotten a bad product from Midway so order I did....

Thanks Twinkie 308!
That's exactly the suit I bought. If it's a decent rain suit at best, it's still a good deal at that price. Should be perfect for those drizzly mornings during turkey season.

Jim Boyd

That's exactly the suit I bought. If it's a decent rain suit at best, it's still a good deal at that price. Should be perfect for those drizzly mornings during turkey season.

If not, I will hang it on a nail in the barn and wear it on the tractor when it is raining!!!!

Have a canopy on both tractors but you still get wet!

shdw633

If not, I will hang it on a nail in the barn and wear it on the tractor when it is raining!!!!

Have a canopy on both tractors but you still get wet!

I ended up getting them as well, based on what Twinkie 308 stated and of course the price, I even IM'd him to thank him for pushing me over the edge and buying it with his review. I ended up buying the gloves for $8 to put me into the free shipping category. In the end I have the same attitude as you Jim, it they don't work out they'll become a canopy on my tractor!!!