Helicopter spraying

Triple C

Just sprayed last fall after final harvest of mature pines. Replanted over the winter.

Bout to have a stand of 22 yr old loblolly sprayed for hardwood control - primarily sweet gums, along with privet.

Those guys know what their doing, down to avoiding tagged trees within a few yds of the intended spray zone.

doomtrpr_z71

Tell me this. How can I tell ahead of planting that the plot did get over spray on it and there’s no use in trying to plant?
Do a bioassay with soil from the plot with tomatoes or if you want to know quickest pull a soil sample and send it to Waters lab for an als herbicide test, it's either $100 or $150 a sample.

But honestly if there's heathy broad-leaved plants where you want to plant a month after spraying you should be fine.

Kev

That’s the main thing that worries me more than anything else. We usually plant plots about the same time their gonna be spraying and I’m worried the spray will drift over on our plots and when we plant it’ll be a big waste of money and nothing will grow
Grains would not grow in my food plots for 3 years after they sprayed. Imazypyr isn’t as hard on legumes though.

HermanMerman

Watched a prime block of clear cut with a handful of persimmons get sprayed as mentioned a few years ago. A few of those persimmons were honey holes when they were dropping, and every single one of them died after they sprayed. But I suppose they aren’t in the persimmon tree business.

Triple C

I broadcast wheat in the firebreaks last year, just 2 and 1/2 months after helicopter spraying, and it grew like crazy.
Yep. Depends on the chemicals used and what purpose. Operator asked me if I wanted the blackberries killed when he sprayed for hardwood competition. I questioned him as to whether he could really spray for hardwoods and either leave or kill the blackberries.

I replied he could. Told him to kill the blackberries too as the stand had reached the point that only a cottontail could invade the stand of blackberry brambles in some of the pines.

We will see. I'm scheduled for spraying in the next week or so.

deers2ward

Yep. Depends on the chemicals used and what purpose. Operator asked me if I wanted the blackberries killed when he sprayed for hardwood competition. I questioned him as to whether he could really spray for hardwoods and either leave or kill the blackberries.

I replied he could. Told him to kill the blackberries too as the stand had reached the point that only a cottontail could invade the stand of blackberry brambles in some of the pines.

1692744057587.png

sghoghunter

We don’t have any briar patches on ours but we have dog fennels atleast 8foot tall and a few scattered maples.

deers2ward

The plant back on small grains with imazapyr is 4 months and unless they are a fly by night company they should get coverage on the edges with gps spray controllers.
Nutrien Ag Solutions. Almost a year after spraying the site looks pretty clean as far as non-desirable growth, and the containerized loblollies planted in Feb of this year are doing well. Broadcast wheat grew in the firebreaks. Don’t need validation from anyone of what I know to be true that is happening on my land. Just sharing my experience

Triple C

Nutrien Ag Solutions. Almost a year after spraying the site looks pretty clean as far as non-desirable growth, and the containerized loblollies planted in Feb of this year are doing well. Broadcast wheat grew in the firebreaks. Don’t need validation from anyone of what I know to be true that is happening on my land. Just sharing my experience
Same company I use. I question my decision of planting more loblolly pine in light of the current southern pine timber prices that show zero signs of any significant recovery any time soon.

Got less in 2021 for saw timber than I did in 2015. Gamble for sure.

At 67, I won't most likely be around when the recent planting reaches final harvest age. If prices do rebound, my kids and grand kids can remember ol' Pops for replanting.

doomtrpr_z71

natalie-portman-clapping.gif

No validation was offered, only facts given

Gaswamp

good read

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Supposedly these guys are very good at what they do. I am having some acreage cut and had the same concerns. My timber manager assures me that when the time comes they'll spray what needs spraying and only what needs spraying and anything I don't want sprayed, food plots, oaks, fruit trees, etc will be fine.

I have my doubts, that with wind and drift and all but only time will tell. Probably depend on the feller actually flying it too.
As an update, they came and sprayed my property on May 31st. It was entirely unexpected, we had planned on them being there a week later, but...............

I was out there working when I found out. They were going to spray in the morning but the wind came up early so they put off until evening. Came in about 5pm while I was still working. They did an amazing job on all that I surveyed while they were doing it/after they were done.

20240531_175641.jpg