Help me out: What Tackle?

WestGa Buckshot

Ok folks, help me out. I will admit to my lack of knowledge and need information. I haven't done much fishing in the last 20 years, but my 13 year old daughter is going on a camping trip with one of her friends and her family this weekend. They are planning on doing a little fishing I think at a lake at the campground. I'm thinking of getting her something like a zebco 33 combo to take. I've always found that to be a good combo that doesn't break the bank. However, here's the wrinkle. Next month we are planning a trip to Flagler Beach, Florida on the Atlantic coast. She also wants to try her hand at fishing off the pier there. Would the Zebco 33 hold up well for that as well? If not, what should I get her, or could I get her as a combo that would work for both the freshwater lake and saltwater pier? Without breaking the bank, lol? Or do I need to get two separate outfits?

FOLES55

Saltwater will kill that poor zebco 33 in very short order. That said, it’s perfect for freshwater lakes/streams.

You can find a reasonable priced spinning reel for saltwater that won’t hit you hard in the wallet.

Think about getting a saltwater reel she can use at the lake 1st then the beach trip later.

Saw another post where some Ollie’s stores had zebco freshwater reels for $10.

Juan De

If you check craigslist sometimes you can find good used penn spinning reals, which can accomplish your goal.

ilbcnu

33 will be fine at the pier for a 13 yr old that's just dabbling in fishing, unless she's hooking big game. However- on the next trip, the real won't even function.
33 will be fine at the pier for a 13 yr old that's just dabbling in fishing, unless she's hooking big game. However- on the next trip, the real won't even function.
Oh the stories I could tell you about People bring'n 33s to the salt. Truly laughable and some of the best memories. But let me add, whatever it takes to get somebody out there grow from there.

Juan De

Oh the stories I could tell you about People bring'n 33s to the salt. Truly laughable and some of the best memories. But let me add, whatever it takes to get somebody out there grow from there.
I used to fish the pier a lot at St Simons, I watched many a kid get dropped off at the pier with a 33 and left by their parents.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’d teach her how to use an open face reel. Practice in fresh and score in the salt. A reel about the size of your fist or bigger and a heavier line when she hits the salt.
Medium action seven footer.
Rinse and repeat.

Rich M

My BIL uses only zebcos and they will last a season or more of saltwater if you rinse em w hot water and maybe oil em once they dry.

Tight Lines

What's your budget?

I used the dickens out of Zebco 202s, 404s, 33s, and 808s/888s when I was young...but those reels are not around anymore in their original toughness...

Depending on your budget, I'd possibly suggest spinning and a 3 piece rod if you can find one...less likely to break it moving it around...entry level Penn is $49...and I think saltwater resistant...

If you do go the Zebco route, get the 888 as I think it is at least also saltwater resistant...but may be too much to handle for an 8-year old...

Whatever reel you buy, if it isn't designed for saltwater, rinse it with hot water as soon as you are done and let it dry...even my saltwater spinning, bait casting, and fly gear gets seriously rinsed after every outing, and wiped and light oil before being put away...

Good luck!

Tight Lines

Pickup a Penn Pursuit lll for 50 bucks at walmart.com. Great reels for the money.

Yep same reel I was referencing...I have 7 Penns, all of them the mid-tier to higher end and they have been great...the 320s are probably going on 25 years now...also have 4 Penn rods, 2 of which are travel 3 piece spinning rods they no longer make...and they have been all over the place with me...

OwlRNothing

I have limited saltwater experience, but I have had pretty good luck with Shimano reels ( made for freshwater ) - I just take them almost completely apart and rinse everything, let them dry and re-lube them after every trip. I just rinse them well with the drag and spool disassembled between fishing if doing multiple days. They last me a year or so, but that's only about 1-3 trips a year - but on trip 3, everything still works fine. YMMV. ( You can get a decent 4000 size Shimano spinning reel on Amazon for about $30. )

Edited: I re-read this and should add that the Shimano reels I use are the cheaper ones - usually the Sienna. $30-$40 bucks. And also I haven't used them for surf fishing with the sand and all that - just pier fishing.

Last edited: