Beginner salt water rod/reel

walkinboss01

I may have an opportunity to go fishing in a couple of months with a buddy who just bought a boat. I thought it would be nice if I picked him up a couple of fishing rods. I’m not looking at breaking the bank, and I wouldn’t mind getting well taken care of used rods. I was looking for an option on a spinning reel combo, and something to bottom fish with. I’m sure this may be real vague, but it’s because I have a pretty big lack of knowledge when it comes to saltwater fishing. I’ve tried to Google information, but there’s a million things listed. Just looking for something that someone has had ex with. If you can tell me the models that would be helpful. I believe he may fish for snapper, grouper, and similar fish when he’s bottom fishing. Thx for any advice.

menhadenman

For spinning reels in the salt - check out shimano and diawa. Both have affordable options that hold up well. I own maybe 20 of them.

For conventional setup, check out the Penn combos. They’re not what they used to be but I have a couple squalls that have several hundred fish on them and they’ve been ok. I also have a few of the Okuma cold water reels that I like, but my fishing guide buddies say they don’t hold up over time. Been ok for me so far.

I think the Shimano Tekota with line counter is the cat’s meow but they’ll run $250 or so. I also have a pile of Abu Garcias and a few of them have had trouble in the salt (also not what they used to be).

Lots of great options, good luck fishing.

doomtrpr_z71

West marine had smoking deals on 3000 Daiwa BG combos that would be my choice for a spinning reel or pony up the money for a Shimano spheros.

For a conventional okuma has some pretty good deals on cheaper conventionals, though finding used US made penns has been my go to.

Lilly001

I second the Diawa BGs.
I’ve used them for 40 years as my salt spinners and they are my go to.
Rods are kinda personal to me. I have to handle them. But in general a 7’ medhvy or heavy spinner is a good starter. And I have some that were 50$ and some that were 200$. All fish ok.

dang

DANG !!!
Diawa BG for me. I’ve got 5 in both the 4000 and 5000 sizes. They’re workhorses. I fish them in salt some, but reason I bought them is my dads boss has a bunch that have been on his boat on the coast for years and he loves them. They’ve held up really well. Shimano bait runners are really nice too 545BCE57-36BB-4141-B78B-D44FE4BE4B4C.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Okuma makes some pretty decent combos that won't break your piggy bank. I've got three Okuma surf combos that have worked well for me and my occasional salt fishing.

Big7

The Oracle
Th
That is a good price for a Penn combo.

I don't have any Penn spinners but I do have
2 4 ought and 1 6 ought bait caster and I'm happy with the quality.

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Depends on just how much you plan to fish. If you're only going out with him 1 - 2 times a year ... maybe. Then go cheap.. go down early and hit the local (close to the water..not up here) pawn shops and "Wally World" and buy what ever feels good in your hands then reline it with what ever you think will work (don't over think it). If you're gonna be on his boat 1 - 2 times a month or more.. take the bite once and never look back.. buy the best you can't afford and it's your's for life. Good luck and tight lines.

Geffellz18

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Th

That is a good price for a Penn combo.

I don't have any Penn spinners but I do have
2 4 ought and 1 6 ought bait caster and I'm happy with the quality.
I don't need any more gear, but I'm tempted to pick up a few at that price for spares.

Geffellz18

I don't need any more gear, but I'm tempted to pick up a few at that price for spares.

I caved and did just this…Had a couple of gift cards that I’ve had for awhile so used them up on one and a few other things.
Price was too good to pass up, plus I only have one Med/Heavy rod, so added another one to the lineup!