Gag Grouper Disappearing too?

doomtrpr_z71

I'm going to continue our Seatrout discussion with something being discussed on other boards, the elusive endangered over fished Gag Grouper. When I bought a bay boat, I had high hopes of being able to fish state waters in FL in the winter and catch some shallow gags and not burn 40 gallons of gas to do it. But according to NOAA we majorly exceeded catch limits in 2023 or did we?

I will preface this by saying I am not a NOAA data scientist, my data science background is far more applied and grounded in the real world than they ever hope to be.

So the NOAA original numbers:

1708199758008.png
FL Reef Survey:

1708199791970.png
So after considerable outcry, NOAA crunched the numbers again:

1708200019026.png
So I became curious about their model and data since it has so many people riled up.

The MRIP data is available to the public with the warning that it is raw data blah blah blah.

So the data for 2023 we have 734 samples for Gag's, of which only 235 samples were taken within grouper season. Of those 235, 56 were actually offshore, IE greater than 3 miles so roughly 8% of the dataset is actually relevant to the real world. Not looking real good to begin with.

Moving on, I'm going to ignore the fact the majority of the data collected was out of season etc.

Out of that dataset and looking at unadjusted Catch A which was:

1708200968668.png

We have a grand total of 194 fish caught in 81 sample events which averages a whopping 2.4 fish per sample.

Moving on to the second part of their statistical equation B1, which is:
1708201147806.png
Which comes up to 0

Which is funny because even when its 0, the model still assigns weighted values for statistical calculation, so I wondered where that those numbers are calculated from, it comes from releases:
1708201445390.png
So even when we are good sportsmen and release our out of season fish, statistically we are still counting towards a catch limit.

Speaking of a catch limit, 106000 lbs caught by shore anglers according to the model, right?

That was extrapolated out because one guy got lucky and caught a 3kg keeper in Region 3, doesnt matter that the average catch rate of a keeper from shore was 0.022.

So going back to the original math, 1.7 million lbs total caught:

1708202775853.png

Based on data that amounts to an average size grouper caught was 159.767mm or about 6.5ins, whcih is really odd since the average weight is 1.07 kgs which is almost 2.5lbs.

Which seems a bit odd, dont you think?

So breaking it down per month....

1708204704012.png
So Jan-April claimed harvest is adjusted to 0 but yet there is claimed harvest in the unadjusted counts than amounts to 0 length and weight which is strange enough, but we have catch data for May, June, July, and August when the season is closed. In fact the highest average weight was in May, so where is this coming from in the harvest data? The season was closed, are the people doing MRIP so dumb they dont even know what species they are looking at and just filling in blanks? How is the average size grouper caught in August 44mm? Thats 1.7in on AVERAGE and weighs 0.397kg (0.875lbs) on Average.

So the conclusion that I come to is this, the model they use in SAS may be well enough done to calculate harvests, I don't know, I never even looked at the model since the input data is GARBAGE. Frankly it is ridiculous to even try to use this data for anything worthwhile. I would be ashamed to even have my name attached to it, I'm sure the NOAA will say we used the best available dataset which is junk.

I will say this one of my takeaways from this boils down to this realization, if you are being surveyed for MRIP, do not mention any short grouper you catch out of season, in fact dont mention the shorts at all even during season. If we are being penalized for catching shorts that are being released, the best thing you can do is not mention it at all.

Attachments

• 1708201427203.png
    1708201427203.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1708202762738.png
    1708202762738.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 1

lampern

Not in Georgia waters...................

Carolinas or Florida, probably

Seems everybody and their brother want to keep gag and red grouper

lampern

One this is not the ga coastal forum

Two you apparently didn't read anything I posted
You do realize gag grouper is managed by the SAMFC right?

And anglers want to catch and keep every snapper and grouper they catch?

This isn’t the 1970s and 80s anymore.

Restrictive seasons and limits are here to stay regardless of the data

Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

You do realize gag grouper is managed by the SAMFC right?

And anglers want to catch and keep every snapper and grouper they catch?

This isn’t the 1970s and 80s anymore.

Restrictive seasons and limits are here to stay
Could you at least Google instead of guess, this is the Gulf fishery council not SAMFC, hence my point that the data set is so bad that they figured that head boats caught 15x less grouper than shore fishermen.

The only people that think gags and snapper in the Gulf are over fished stare at a computer screen all day and don't actually go offshore.

lampern

Could you at least Google instead of guess, this is the Gulf fishery council not SAMFC, hence my point that the data set is so bad that they figured that head boats caught 15x less grouper than shore fishermen.

The only people that think gags and snapper in the Gulf are over fished stare at a computer screen all day and don't actually go offshore.

It doesn't matter.

The days of liberal limits and seasons are over regardless of the 'data'.

The gulf fishery council will do what they want just like the SAMFC is doing with red snapper in the Atlantic.

And states like Florida will go along in their 9 mile jurisdiction.

Yup. Looks like they already have

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I will say this one of my takeaways from this boils down to this realization, if you are being surveyed for MRIP, do not mention any short grouper you catch out of season, in fact dont mention the shorts at all even during season. If we are being penalized for catching shorts that are being released, the best thing you can do is not mention it at all.

^^^^^ Sound advice.
If they're going to count released fish against harvest totals, don't tell them diddly.

menhadenman

Hey @doomtrpr_z71 - numbers are like people… if you torture them enough they’ll confess to anything :p

I used to work in that arena around 20 years ago (eastern NC back when it was MRFSS). You are spot on with what I believe you’re pointing out.

Back in the day they used random digit dialing (when folks still had land lines) to extrapolate effort. How many folks went fishing was estimated, then you multiply that by catch or encounter per angler to estimate recreational harvest.

Don’t know what they do now to get a handle on effort, but the problem with low observations still remains. You can easily get crazy estimates when multiplying one observation of a crazy successful angler by hundreds of thousands of hours.

Assuming that guy wasn’t pulling the creel clerk’s leg, the fish was properly ID’d, or the observations were properly entered.

And let me tell you about creel clerks… you get the Boy Scout types right out of high school or retired guy that doesn’t want to be around his old lady. Both are great but anything in between is a crap shoot. We even had one creel clerk found naked in his car. Drunks, drugs, you name it. Seasonal work for low hourly wages!

Back to the estimates - they used to have a guideline for precision in the harvest, coefficient of variation (CV), which shows how great the error is in the estimate relative to the estimate itself. So 100 +/- 50 would be 50% CV. Anything over 20% was generally thought of as garbage. Like saying I’m going to pay you $100k for a job. Could be $50k tho I’m not quite sure.

Many (most… maybe all) government outfits are covered up in bureaucracy that runs off the talent, leaving an above average composure of twits. Many of which probably never held a grouper. Then blame games, etc. you get what you get - just another big government failure like all the rest.

I’d like to be more optimistic but wouldn’t wager on things getting any better. Unless we hit $8/gallon gas and people stop fishing altogether!

I’ll have to get a look at some of this stuff one of these days to see how things have unfolded. There are some good folks still in the mix but lord knows they’ve got a big hill to climb!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
How many grouper and snapper do jewfish kill off the reefs every year?
Open harvest of goliaths outside of 10 miles would do more to restore grouper and snapper populations than any government regulation.
Saltwater flathead catfish! Let some fancy French chef come up with a recipe for them.. then let some food net. host brag about how much better it is than regular grouper and snapper... and "POOF" no more goliaths.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Saltwater flathead catfish! Let some fancy French chef come up with a recipe for them.. then let some food net. host brag about how much better it is than regular grouper and snapper... and "POOF" no more goliaths.
Imagine how much a 500 lb. flathead could eat.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Imagine how much a 500 lb. flathead could eat.
At least we know they taste good no matter how big they get, nobody knows about goliaths.... yet.

BluewaterFever

NOAA, GAMF & SAFMC will never use good data.

The Gulf Marine fisheries have been bought off by the big commercial fish houses.

We have been trying to get them to listen for years on the EC of Fla.

They won't!
Gags are fished for harder now than before since they closed red snap.
Jewfish, er ahm, Goliath grouper decimate the reeffish as well, very limited harvest. Just think about how many #'s of fish a 125
plus Goliath eats a day!
No more commercial shark harvesting is having the toll on them too, lots of grouper are being lost to the tax man while fishing for them or other species.
I won't spearfish on the offshore reefs and wrecks because of the shark population.
I used to do a bunch of commercial spearfishing, 2005 - 2018 and have seen how the fisheries are being mismanaged. One of the best form of info they could use would be trip tickets from the fish houses. But they will take that data and manipulate that to fit there agenda.

Red Snapper management is a joke, 1 fish per person if/when we have a 2 day season.
I could go on and on but just putting in my .02