Help with fuel leak on JD tractor

Ugahunter2013

Let me first say I know pretty much nothing about tractors! I got this tractor about 5 months ago. I noticed the other day when i walked beside the tractor the smell of fuel. I chalked it up to nothing. I used the tractor about 3 days ago and had just over 1/4 tank when i finished.

I cranked it up this morning and make it a little ways and it chokes down. A little while later i realized fuel had leaked out. I cant tell if the fuel is coming out of the fuel line or possibly this piece on the back of the tank that looks like a wing nut, which i assume is a drain valve. I couldn't find a diagram in my manual of the tank, but i am thinking it is not coming from this “drain valve” because there is a wire harness beside it that does not have fuel kn it. Pretty much everything under the tank on the left side of the tractor is covered in fuel. There is a clip above the clamp on the fuel line. I did notice it was loose, but the line felt pretty snug to me. I would assume though that it would not take much to knock the line loose enough to leak fuel.

I did run over some dead/dried pile of limbs/sticks the other day when i used it last. I was clearing an old logging road. I am wondering if something may have hit the line???

There is still a tiny bit in the tank still. I have read where i will have to bleed the fuel filter and injectors when i fix the leak? Any advice is welcome.19CA72D7-8BA6-43AD-BA53-01DED02D59A6.jpeg3EE4DEEA-CF3C-4B46-9A9A-75747189C9E8.jpeg

Ray357

AWOL
Let me first say I know pretty much nothing about tractors! I got this tractor about 5 months ago. I noticed the other day when i walked beside the tractor the smell of fuel. I chalked it up to nothing. I used the tractor about 3 days ago and had just over 1/4 tank when i finished.

I cranked it up this morning and make it a little ways and it chokes down. A little while later i realized fuel had leaked out. I cant tell if the fuel is coming out of the fuel line or possibly this piece on the back of the tank that looks like a wing nut, which i assume is a drain valve. I couldn't find a diagram in my manual of the tank, but i am thinking it is not coming from this “drain valve” because there is a wire harness beside it that does not have fuel kn it. Pretty much everything under the tank on the left side of the tractor is covered in fuel. There is a clip above the clamp on the fuel line. I did notice it was loose, but the line felt pretty snug to me. I would assume though that it would not take much to knock the line loose enough to leak fuel.

I did run over some dead/dried pile of limbs/sticks the other day when i used it last. I was clearing an old logging road. I am wondering if something may have hit the line???

There is still a tiny bit in the tank still. I have read where i will have to bleed the fuel filter and injectors when i fix the leak? Any advice is welcome.View attachment 1070408View attachment 1070409
Clean up everything good and find the leak. If you don't want to clean it, put UV dye in the tank and use a black light. One thing I have found about fuel leaks is they travel.

Dbender

Your petcock is probably fine. Where the fuel line comes out looks like the problem. Looks like someone replaced the original clamp. Might be the cla.p or the barb fitting itself. Post a pic of your injection pump, should have a bleed screw and you can prob get it to fire without cracking the injectors.

Ugahunter2013

Your petcock is probably fine. Where the fuel line comes out looks like the problem. Looks like someone replaced the original clamp. Might be the cla.p or the barb fitting itself. Post a pic of your injection pump, should have a bleed screw and you can prob get it to fire without cracking the injectors.

Here are pictures of the fuel filter and injection pump.

6A3B9E73-1B13-43D2-B03D-D26BF2E0A19B.jpeg717E7607-2AA0-40CD-AC6E-5454F5031EE3.jpeg

Dbender

Once you get your leak fixed, bleed the filter housing with the small knurled screw plastic in the filter housing. Once you have fuel seepage, screw it back in. Open throttle full and then bleed the injection pump. Injection pump bleed screw is the horizontal small screw on injection pump slightly below and to right of where the linkage rod connects in your pucture. Just needs to be cracked couple turns. You can try the manual primer on top of the filter housing but I usually just turn it over with the batt.

Ugahunter2013

Once you get your leak fixed, bleed the filter housing with the small knurled screw plastic in the filter housing. Once you have fuel seepage, screw it back in. Open throttle full and then bleed the injection pump. Injection pump bleed screw is the horizontal small screw on injection pump slightly below and to right of where the linkage rod connects in your pucture. Just needs to be cracked couple turns. You can try the manual primer on top of the filter housing but I usually just turn it over with the batt.

Thanks, i will try that. I assume its best to just replace entire hose and fittings?

What normally causes this, just normal wear or something knocking the hose loose? Going by how suddenly everything happened, i assume something knocked it loose..