Henry Single Shots??

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I got me a new gun craving. Thinking about a Henry SS in .308. Got the perfect scope waiting in the wings, a Leupold M8 fixed 6X...

Want to make a shell cuff and sling using my limited leather craft skills, and kind of "old school" it.

Anybody actually had hands on one, and have they fixed the issues that the rifle had early on?

I have an exceptional deal made already, once my gun guy can obtain one.

Big7

The Oracle
I have an H&R/NEF that is a tack driver in 243.

If I were to buy another single shot centerfire, it would definitely be a Ruger #1.

But if you want a Henry, you don't need us to talk you into it.

BUY IT. :cheers::rockon:

Jester896

Senior Clown
The Golden ones are pretty awesome and the Silvers are a work of art...I see they make a few of them in Golden

GeorgiaGlockMan

I can't speak for their single shot rifles BUT their levers are as nice as they get.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their rifles.

Good luck.

Reactions: Dub

Stump Shooter

I have the single shot Henry in a 30-30 and it is a good shooter, short compact simple no scope. I like it, but being mostly a Bowhunter have not taken a deer with it yet. Just got it this year.

Jimmypop

I have one in 308 that has taken over 2 years to get the problems worked out in time to hunt one time with it. Shot it once . Killed one deer at 100 yds. The gun looks good to me. I think it is going to be o.k. but still has a heavier trigger pull than I like. Haven't shot it enough to really tell yet. I like my cva v2 much better.

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_074408780 (1).jpg
    IMG_20211110_074408780 (1).jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 30

transfixer

Personally never saw the allure to a Henry,, I know they're American made and all,, I like well made , well engineered firearms of all types,, just never got the itch for a Henry, if I were to buy a single shot it would be a high wall,, or a Sharps

Dub

I love a .308 Win. I think you picked a great hunting chambering for it @Railroader

My only Henry experience is with a .45/70 lever gun.

No complaints. Trigger isn't on par with my other hunting rifles....but they are mostly bolt guns....so that's understandable.

A 6X fixed is a lot more scope than some think. It'll help you reach out there. The only question would be if the trigger in the Henry SS will allow you to reach out there. :unsure:
Probably not much in the way of aftermarket trigger options for a Henry SS.....but I may be wrong.

I wouldn't be overly worried about other issues that may be found on the gun....Henry has a solid reputation for strong customer service.

I guess you'll know if the trigger is suitable right away, before you ever leave the store.

Jimmypop

Came with 8 lb. trigger pull. I called Henry and was told they couldn't do anything. Had to take to a gunsmith but didn't work. Then I learned of a recall and sent it back to Henry. Safety issues were involved. I just got it back in time to sight in and hunt one time and I'm not going to shoot any more deer this year.

Bobby Bigtime

I have one in 223 and I will say it is awesome. My wife and I have both taken a couple antelope and some varmint (song dog and badger) it shoots about 1\2 to 3\4 inch groups and has spectacular wood. We put a compact 4X scope on it making it a great little package. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one. I do want a single shot 450 and was looking into a cva but now I am torn between it and the Henry. That scope and 308 will be a nice setup.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I love a .308 Win. I think you picked a great hunting chambering for it @Railroader

My only Henry experience is with a .45/70 lever gun.

No complaints. Trigger isn't on par with my other hunting rifles....but they are mostly bolt guns....so that's understandable.

A 6X fixed is a lot more scope than some think. It'll help you reach out there. The only question would be if the trigger in the Henry SS will allow you to reach out there. :unsure:
Probably not much in the way of aftermarket trigger options for a Henry SS.....but I may be wrong.

I wouldn't be overly worried about other issues that may be found on the gun....Henry has a solid reputation for strong customer service.

I guess you'll know if the trigger is suitable right away, before you ever leave the store.

Well, after some research, I read that the recall issues are all worked out, and triggers are now leaving the factory at a clean 4-ish pounds.

As for the .308, I have several, and it's a favorite of mine. Some years back I pared down to just a few common calibers, the only new fangled thing I am running now is the .350L. I am not gonna be buying any guns that I am not stocked up for ammo wise.

I am not finding a scope mount that I am in love with. If I do this I want a very clean mount, and the Talley one piece looks the best so far...

The Leupold scope I have is a veteran, and has killed a bunch of critters. The fixed 6 is simple, light, and plenty of scope for any shot I would try on game. It is also probably the cleanest and brightest one I have, despite being 20+ years old.

I am happy and a bit excited about the plan I have hatched, but I gotta wait for one of three distributors to get one in stock...

We'll see what happens.

Bobby Bigtime

Railroader, the fixed 6x scope is hard to beat. I have had a number of them on several calibers including the 308. I prefer them most of the time over variables. I believe you will dig the Henry.

Last edited: