Here goes...

Wishin I was Fishin

i need some answers as to which bow you all prefer... longbow or recurve... im realllly considering gettin one but from all ive read i havent proven one over the other... what's some pro's like yerselves say?

Al33

I enjoy them both but I hunt and shoot a longbow more than I do a recurve. I guess if I had to get rid of all but one of my bows I would probably keep my halfbreed (hybrid) Black Feather because it offers the best of both worlds. Now if I had to kick it out of the mix I would want one of my longbows but I would miss my recurves when hunting turkeys.

Hmmmmm, that didn't help you much, now did it?

OconeeDan

Only you can answer that question for yourself. Get one of each, and see which one gets used the most.
Personally, I prefer shorter recurve bows for treestands and blinds. But the longbow fanatics will tell me it's not a problem for them.
Are you just starting out?
Dan

robert carter

I enjoy shooting longbows more but shoot recurves better.I think mostly because the added mass weight in the riser is more stable with my less than perfect form. I `m building God willing with Keith Bruner`s help the ultimate bow for me. A takedown longbow 64" long with a heavy dymondwood riser. It should be sweet. maybe that will hit the medium for me.Its been my experience recurves are better to start out with.RC

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i like them both and probably enjoyed shooting my longbow better but the locator style grip on my recurves fits my hand better. i do have a jodie cole hybrid but for whatever reason i am more consistent with the 'curve. i like the 58" compared to my 64" too. the mamba will be with me when i get to the woods next week!!!

BGBH

I like & shoot both but grab a recurve more when I head to the woods.

Apex Predator

I have shot both well, but have finally settled on one type as my favorite. I prefer a lighter weight bow with small riser for carry ease. I prefer the draw feel of a recurve. I settled on a 50's style recurve. I am currently shooting a Great Northern Ghost w/index grip, and it fits me like a glove. It's also quieter than most RD longbows.

chinquapin

I shoot both myself I started with a recurve and went to a longbow. All my bows have been 62" long I've had no problems shootin out of treestands or on the ground. My longbow I love It's a Martin Savannah fits my hand like a glove. Most recurves have big grips that don't feel right with me. I just got a Hoyt Game Master t/d and the grip on that is awesome. I would say try to find someone who has both and see if they would let you try them out. Which ever one you choose stick with it for awhile before you switch to the other one.

PAPALAPIN

I am a recurve man. Never fooled much with longbows. Longbows seem to have the appearance of being a bit more primitive, but don't be misled. THe new generation of longbows are anything but primitive. Some will shoot circles around some recurves.

It just comes down to a matter of personal choice. Your best bet is to try to pick up something relatively cheap to learn on, and then take a bit of time until you have a chance to possibly shoot both recurves and longbows to see which you prefer. The basics of shooting are pretty much the same for both, so it does not really matter what you learn on.

In any case, just enjoy the ride and figure out what YOU like. Not necessarily what anyone else tells you you SHOULD like.

Wishin I was Fishin

Are you just starting out?
yeah... i shot a little mini version ofa longbow when i was growin up but then i went to them wheely bows...

In any case, just enjoy the ride and figure out what YOU like. Not necessarily what anyone else tells you you SHOULD like.
Good advice but i need to find a cheap bow first, only place i know of near here to buy archery stuff is BPS and i dont really know anyone that shoots trad. near enough to me to drive out one afternoon and just get the feel of both...

Ive been lookin around and people seem to prefer a recurve more than anything so i guess ill try to find one used somewhere or somebody that shoots thats not too far. gotta find time to get out first though :hair:

And i gotta get the money for one... lookin fer a job to get that money currently :(

Dennis

Hey im just down the road mabey 10 minutes from you and i have 2 r/h recurves you can try and all kind of things to shoot at send me a pm and we can get together anytime

OconeeDan

I have a Shakespeare Sierra, 52" 45# right handed, I can let go for $75. But it is a short bow and short bows are harder to learn with so you may want to start longer.
Pm me if interested.
And I suggest you take Dennis up on his offer. you'll learn a lot faster with help than without. And Dennis is a good guy you need to meet anyway.

LadyGunner

I mainly shoot & hunted with a recurve
I shot a compund bow a lot - and longbows

but the recurve is more natural for me

I agree with Dan - go hang out with Dennis
I learned from 2 friends who bow hunted for many many moons and very grateful for what I was able to take from them

Enjoy! :)