High FOC build

Deerhunter12454

I’m trying to build a heavier FOC arrow with a heavy single bevel broad head. Guessing it’s better to just restart the build then reuse my Easton FMJ’s? Im planning to use a 200 grain Maasai broad head this fall.

sportsman94

Nice! Im shooting a 588 or 638 grain arrow this year with about 20ish% FOC. Shooting 200 grain VPA 3 blades, but looking to get a hold of some other broadheads to test out too. Cant wait to start slinging them at some critters and see what they do.

NBN

Nice! I just made up a dozen GT Airstrikes that come in at 448 gr. For me that’s a heavy arrow. I have 21% foc. That’s with a SS 71 grain insert a 125 head and a ballistic collar. Going with the Exodus this year.

Ben1100Mag

The Older FMJ will not hold up very well. The HIT inserts do not work well in my opinion. The newer FMJ with the RPS inserts are better. You want the weight up front on the shaft.

chris41081

If you're building high FOC arrows, then you have surely watched some of the Ranch Fairy's videos. If not, you definitely should. He is not a fan of FMJ. I don't have any experience with them personally. I'm shooting black eagle Rampage 250, haven't decided on a broad head for this year. Last year I shot 125 Magnus stinger but want to upgrade that to an iron will or something along those lines.

Ben1100Mag

I finally went with a carbon shaft after always shooting heavy aluminium. I am running a 2 or 4 Blade Zwickey Delta with a 125 grain steel insert. Total head weight of 255 grains. My arrow weight is 650 grains. I like the zwickeys since they work and are cheap. The No Mercy is a good he

dtala

I shoot a GT35/55 shaft, 31" with a 28" draw. 100gr brass insert, 200gr head , 5" feathers...570 grain total weight. Killed prolly 20 head of deer/hogs with it. Great penetration and quick flight recovery.

fountain

I shoot a GT35/55 shaft, 31" with a 28" draw. 100gr brass insert, 200gr head , 5" feathers...570 grain total weight. Killed prolly 20 head of deer/hogs with it. Great penetration and quick flight recovery.
Shooting traditional, correct?

Ihunt

You’ll have a hard time building a high FOC arrow with the FMJ. They are too heavy. You need to start with a light shaft like the Easton Hexx or the Goldtip that’s light. Can’t remember the name.

I shoot a high FOC out of my compound because I think it helps with my broadhead flight but imo that’s the only benefit you get when using a COMPOUND. With a traditional bow, it’s a different story.

Deerhunter12454

If you're building high FOC arrows, then you have surely watched some of the Ranch Fairy's videos. If not, you definitely should. He is not a fan of FMJ. I don't have any experience with them personally. I'm shooting black eagle Rampage 250, haven't decided on a broad head for this year. Last year I shot 125 Magnus stinger but want to upgrade that to an iron will or something along those lines.
The negative with the FMJ’s is most likely the inserts. I’m switching the HIT inserts out for their Half out inserts. I may build a separate arrow later with the black eagle arrows. Regardless, I’m not shooting mechanical broadhead as this fall

ddd-shooter

High FOC is overrated. There, I said it. :)
I’m shooting a 515 grain arrow that’s about 10% foc. I can’t bear to tweak such a great arrow just because some people say I should. I think with modern compounds, high foc is not the be all end all some think it is. Although I am a fan of a heavy arrow and I don’t think high foc will hurt.

deast1988

620gr trad arrow.

580ish gr compound arrow.

No clue the FOC but they heavy enough and fly great.

Ben1100Mag

Over rated or not there are some videos out there that make a lot of sense. The slow motion video of a light arrow vs a heavy arrow hitting a target is what really sold me on the EFOC concept.

Kris87

Big difference in discussing a heavy arrow vs a light arrow and discussing high FOC and normal FOC. Two different topics. That's all I'm saying. But yes, I think high FOC is overrated.

Wanna match your weight to the game being hunted? Sure, go ahead with that. I can get onboard with that. Wanna just build a 20% FOC arrow to say you did? I haven't seen the results to warrant it.