Arrow Drop with Adult Arrow

Thread starter #41
Bingo...... Yes. I have shot an 8.3 grain per inch arrow with a 100 grain mechanical head for at least 15 yrs. Many different configurations of bows. I am and have always been more than satisfied with the performance of my equipment.... From a 60 lb doe to a 280 lb Midwest buck. I'll change when I make a good shot and the deer isn't recovered.
You have missed the point. Most hunters make a good shot but the deer reacts to it and the shot becomes not the greatest. The heavier FOC and cut on contact head increases your chances of recovering your animal when the shot is marginal.

You have missed the point. Most hunters make a good shot but the deer reacts to it and the shot becomes not the greatest. The heavier FOC and cut on contact head increases your chances of recovering your animal when the shot is marginal.
Its not that I don't believe you..... But I personally don't feel the need for either (any more so than what I am using now). So your point is a valid one to the guy who makes a lot of marginal shots I suppose.

Man, nothing brings out some passion like archery! I got something everyone will agree on......Come on bow season! Went last weekend fishing and caught some red's, trout, and sheepshead and I was still thinking about bowhunting almost the whole time. I guess having an addiction isn't always a bad thing

Some more food for thought for bow hunters.

Notice the ~3” gap between my arrow and center of my top pin. There will be situations when you have branches and twigs up close that you’ll never see in your sight housing at full draw.

Some may argue “trim shooting lanes” but as a bow hunter we need cover to remain unseen. We also can’t always predict where deer will travel.

A well tuned (bareshaft & nock tuned) arrow will fare better in marginal situations. A heavier arrow with high FOC will also hold its trajectory better when that “ooof” moment occurs.

I’m not advocating for “X” grains or “Y” FOC for the best hunting arrow setup. It’s a dynamic situation that pertains to your equipment (draw length/weight) game you’re hunting and average distance you shoot.

Best advice I can give is to invest in an arrow spine calculator such as “OT2 Go Spine” or “Q Spine” in the App Store for iPhones.
Plug in your bow, draw weight/length and play around with arrow configurations.
Then, buy 1 arrow of each spine and add the insert weights necessary and tune them.

Regardless if you shoot 450 grains or 750 grains, I promise a well tuned 400 grain arrow will outperform a poorly tuned 700 grain arrow. Common sense
82039434-67C5-4942-A515-A1D059942DBB.jpeg

Thread starter #46
I agree with your whole statement. I started this thread about speed and I shouldn't have. I should have said what works best for you? I'm interested in raising my FOC with a lighter weight arrow. I don't shoot light arrows now, but my weight is distributed through the arrow keeping me at 12%.

How many deer have you had jump the string, spin or twist in reaction to the shot?

Inside 30 yards I’m confident in my abilities, but more often than not the deer has moved to some extent before my arrow ever reaches them.

If you tell me that you’ve never had a deer jump the string, I’d say you haven’t shot at enough deer with a bow.
Didn't mean to imply that i hadn't had a deer jump string. I was simply stating that if you double lung your shot it will kill the animal regardless of what your shooting. I'm like you i like shots less than 30 yrds.