High shoulder shot

buckpasser

What interests me with Spud is how many recoveries are for arrow versus bullet? Where on the body was the shot? And how many deer does Spud have to track annually as a result of a poorly placed shots?

I’d like to know that too. I’m betting a tiny minority of the deer spud has to go after have a hole through the lungs! I’m betting shoulder separation, gut, and failed neck in that order make up the vast majority.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
We have a tracking legend in the making in Sc. You scratch em and “Spud“ will find them. This deer was shot high shoulder with a .308 and Spud took him 5.3 miles before they wore him out enough to put him down. Skip thru the video if you must, but near the end they show the shot placement and you can see the fight left in the deer. I shoot high shoulder with a .243…but this one has me re-thinking it. When bullets meet flesh…there are no guarantees.Shot placement at 15:29.

Cool video!

DSGB

We have a tracking legend in the making in Sc. You scratch em and “Spud“ will find them. This deer was shot high shoulder with a .308 and Spud took him 5.3 miles before they wore him out enough to put him down. Skip thru the video if you must, but near the end they show the shot placement and you can see the fight left in the deer. I shoot high shoulder with a .243…but this one has me re-thinking it. When bullets meet flesh…there are no guarantees.Shot placement at 15:29.

I watched that video yesterday when it popped up in my feed and was wondering where they are located. I enjoy watching tracking dog videos and that was a good one. Love the dogs POV camera, although it can get a little shaky when they are running like he was.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

He is in York county SC and helps people in a couple different counties. My buddy had to use his services a couple weeks ago and said it’s simply amazing to watch that man and dog work. He knows the dog inside and out and can tell you what he is doing by every bark. Found his deer too over 1 mile away.

Two important things to take away from the video. That appeared to be a perfect high shoulder shot with a .308. The bullet turned and ran up the side of the neck and exited. May or may not have been fatal

Second, if you call out a dog man, understand what they go thru often in the middle of the night. Ours work off of whatever you feel is appropriate or can afford…..don’t be stingy , take care of them.

Jamie is writing a book about his exploits with Spud, I will buy it. We get weekly videos and some of the biggest smiles on kids faces because of their efforts. Class act all the way.

Waddams

That bullet on that deer veering like that - amazing how tough a deer can be that it's body can cause that with a high powered rifle shot.

So far, I guess I've been lucky in not having to do a long track job? My 243 has put them all DRT down or immediately down close by. I'm probably the worlds worst bow hunter. 0-4 in my shot opportunities so far. I haven't bow hunted a whole lot, though. One day I'll connect and then likely have to track one at least a little!

Hillbilly stalker

What interests me with Spud is how many recoveries are for arrow versus bullet? Where on the body was the shot? And how many deer does Spud have to track annually as a result of a poorly placed shots?
I feel for sure that will be covered in his book. Jamie is in the Medical field and keeps meticulous records. Or if you see him at the store he would tell you, one of the nicest men you will meet.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

After you posted this I found several of his videos on YouTube. This dog is definitely going to be a legend.

Hillbilly stalker

“Jamie Holler” is the name of the channel if anyone likes to watch or learn about a blood tracking dog. They don’t really need blood.

killerv

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to try it with the 300bo vor-tx 110 grain, that's a bad boy.

I'm a "aim for the heart" fan though

ju7sMAC.jpg

Depends on where I am hunting. If I know a deer is potentially going to get across a property line, I aim for a different spot on the animal.

In Georgia if I am over a hundred yards from a boundary line, I aim behind the shoulder about 2" or so to keep from destroying the shoulders. Deer likely won't make it to the line with no lungs.

During gun season up north, I anchor a deer with a shot right through both shoulders 4-6" back from the base of the neck into the shoulder....most are DRT....But, its a different world up north in gun season and I intend to be the only person who puts a bullet and a tag on the deer I am shooting at.....

Regardless, I never aim high shoulder because I don't want to destroy the backstraps.

Bud Man

300 blk out , 190 grain Hornady soft point sub sonic , silencer , 1inch behind front shoulder , 50 yards or less. Several so far this year. Watched every one fall within 50 yards. That's my preference. 0 meat loss and very ethical and lethal. High power rifle at longer distance is different for me , it's dead center front shoulder, ballistic tip, DRT generally. Never personally have tried high shoulder shot. Good luck to all regarding your shot placement. Every opportunity can be different for the choice of shot.

BeerThirty

That bullet on that deer veering like that - amazing how tough a deer can be that it's body can cause that with a high powered rifle shot.

So far, I guess I've been lucky in not having to do a long track job? My 243 has put them all DRT down or immediately down close by. I'm probably the worlds worst bow hunter. 0-4 in my shot opportunities so far. I haven't bow hunted a whole lot, though. One day I'll connect and then likely have to track one at least a little!

My dad killed a doe years back when I was still a teen. I was helping him cut it up and we found two old-school broadheads stuck in its spine. One was right in the high shoulder, another was mid back. I too am amazed how strong an animals' will to survive is.