Hog Possibly Down at Allatoona WMA

lukeclem4901

Banned PUNK
Took the dog out squirrel hunting today and walked up on a pretty decent size hog. It was blocking the trail, and I wasn't feeling too polite, so I shot it in the face with #6 shot. I'm a small game hunter so I don't know much about tracking large game and stuff. I really don't even know if it died. It was shot only a few 100 yards past the WMA entrance on 20 going to Canton. If anyone hears or finds anything, please give an update, as I'd love to know the outcome.

Buckman18

How far away was the hog from you when you shot it?

lukeclem4901

Banned PUNK
How far away was the hog from you when you shot it?
Not far at all. Somewhere between 10-15 yards. Got a face full of #6 from a 12 gauge but it ran like nothing happened. I don't know if that's the adrenaline or what. I'm guessing it either ran straight across the creek or to the right to hide in the tall grass. Looks like a lot of boar might be bedding in there. Also worth mentioning that it was a lighter brown coloration I think. Not like your typical dark skin hogs. That could've just been the way the sun was glaring on it though

lukeclem4901

Banned PUNK
I tried tracking it for 2 hours or so. The place is just covered up in hog sign though. Every direction you look there's a game trail with hoove prints and rooting

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
You probably missed if the hog didn’t react and squeal to a face full of shot that close.
I’m glad you shot at it regardless. A muzzleloader would drop it.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just curious... I know most think they are just pest and view them about like I do coyotes so don’t take this as me being negative. But you shot it just because it was in your trail and you wasn’t feeling polite !

Buckman18

I'd say, based on what I'm reading, that its still alive. Perhaps its possible you get it with a few pellets, but I don't think it got a full load. Sound like a lot of excitement!

Did the dog chase it?

Doug B.

Since you were squirrel hunting I would guess you were using low base shells. Probably wouldn't get much penetration unless you were extremely close.

I killed about a 70 pound hog maybe 20 years ago while turkey hunting. It came down a trail probably 7 or 8 yards from me and I put a load of #6 Winchester Super XX's in its heart/lung area. It ran about 40 yards.

chrislibby88

He’s alive, infection might get him down the road though. If it was a lethal head shot he would have dropped. He’s just gonna carry some pellets for the rest of his days. I’ve had hot 22 mags skip off the forehead of big pigs, so I doubt some #6 lead at a lower velocity is gonna penetrate the skull. His sniffer might be a little stuffed up for a while.