Holiness Movement Christians

Artfuldodger

Though similar in some ways to Evangelicals, the Church of God, and other denominations, their defining characteristic is the idea that holiness is attainable this side of heaven and that believers are given the means to achieve it through the second blessing and the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

This second blessing takes place after conversion with the baptism of the Holy Spirit. At that time, the sin nature is destroyed so that the believer is free to be perfectly sinless. Thus, Holiness Movement Christians believe holiness is attainable in this life through their sanctification experience.

Artfuldodger

A lot of my relatives were Holiness and we have or had three Holiness or Holiness Baptist Campgrounds in Coffee County.

The Holiness Church is rooted firmly in the Wesleyan Holiness tradition, sharing it's origins with the Methodist Church.

The Church of the Nazarene is the largest denomination in the classical Wesleyan-Holiness tradition. The doctrine that distinguishes the Church of the Nazarene and other Wesleyan denominations from most other Christian denominations is that of entire sanctification.

Artfuldodger

I didn't realize they believed in the “eradication of the sin nature."

Romans 6 is a big part of where this belief is arrived.

Romans 6:22-23
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.…

Last edited:

Havana Dude

Are they the same ones that belly up to the buffet at 12:30 on Sunday and criticize the wait staff for not going to church? Asking for a friend. By the way, I’m a follower of Jesus Christ, not any particular religion.

Artfuldodger

Are they the same ones that belly up to the buffet at 12:30 on Sunday and criticize the wait staff for not going to church? Asking for a friend. By the way, I’m a follower of Jesus Christ, not any particular religion.
Nope, that would be the Baptist and Methodist.:LOL:

Artfuldodger

Seriously, the Holiness folks that I knew, including my own family, had not reached the point of eradication of the sin nature as long as I knew them.
They did try about as much as any other denomination member that I knew as well. No better, no worse.

gordon 2

I know little of the folk you describe. Yet,I can understand that saints are said to be holy.

I can also understand that they would think of themselves as not being perfect most of the time. So I'm a bit surprised that anyone in Christianity would think themselves and their brothers and sisters as sinless except in the intimacy of the sensual close proximity of the Holy Spirit.---It would seem to me that this contact in the eternal life relationship of a saint would obliterate sin during and for some time after the event, and it would have profound influence on a saints future. However, a saints proximity to the world thereafter would super highlight the sinful nature vs the sinless nature of life.

I find it inconceivable that somehow, any saint, would think themselves immune from the shadows of the world-- except from some logical geometry ( some intellectual geometry or mathematic) that for eternal life cannot apply! Who knows? I don't?

So is your assessment correct Art? Did or do the people you describe think themselves holy and sinless? I understand that they would know themselves as holy... but sinless?

How do they think or know what you claim on them? What is the gymnastics required when referring to Rom. 6:22-23 to get to an understanding that they are a sinless people? I personally can't see how anyone could disassociate themselves with the world so that for some freedom they could be without sin. That is not a freedom we have as even saintly hermits hallucinate.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I know little of the folk you describe. Yet,I can understand that saints are said to be holy.

I can also understand that they would think of themselves as not being perfect most of the time. So I'm a bit surprised that anyone in Christianity would think themselves and their brothers and sisters as sinless except in the intimacy of the sensual close proximity of the Holy Spirit.---It would seem to me that this contact in the eternal life relationship of a saint would obliterate sin during and for some time after the event, and it would have profound influence on a saints future. However, a saints proximity to the world thereafter would super highlight the sinful nature vs the sinless nature of life.

I find it inconceivable that somehow, any saint, would think themselves immune from the shadows of the world-- except from some logical geometry ( some intellectual geometry or mathematic) that for eternal life cannot apply! Who knows? I don't?

So is your assessment correct Art? Did or do the people you describe think themselves holy and sinless? I understand that they would know themselves as holy... but sinless?

How do they think or know what you claim on them? What is the gymnastics required when referring to Rom. 6:22-23 to get to an understanding that they are a sinless people? I personally can't see how anyone could disassociate themselves with the world so that for some freedom they could be without sin. That is not a freedom we have as even saintly hermits hallucinate.
I only knew them growing up and into the early 80's. I didn't know that "entire sanctification" was their Church's main belief.

I'm sure each individual within that whole Church think as individuals and have differing views on becoming sinless before physical death.