Home Defense for my Father

Dub

So, there are a bunch of good suggestions already here.

If the criteria is 4 inch revolver in .357 and its intended use is home defense, I'm surprised nobody mentioned a S&W 686+. Its got 7 rounds and recoil is easy easy easy to manage. If that's a little too heavy, take a look at the R8. Its lighter and you can put 8 rounds in it. or if that has too long a barrel, 327 Night Guard has a shorter barrel but same capacity. just harder to find one.

You also mentioned 45. I know the SW model 625JM has a 4 inch barrel and holds 6 rounds of 45 acp. I haven't shot one but I'd imagine the form factor of an N frame with 45 acp's relative low recoil would be a pleasant shooter.

Hard to go wrong though. There are a lot of good options out there. I think the LCRx and SP101 are both sweet but if you aren't gonna carry it around all day, why not go bigger?

I can't recommend a S&W gun that has the internal lock.

Maybe one day they will drop it from their guns.

GunnSmokeer

I can't recommend a S&W gun that has the internal lock.

Maybe one day they will drop it from their guns.

Do you oppose people buying such guns for POLITICAL reasons, to boycott a gun company that supported some gun control /gun safety measures back some 20 years ago, or do you actually fear the lock presents some real risk of failing at the wrong time and disabling your gun when you expect it to shoot?

I've had both Taurus and S&W revolvers with these internal disabling locks for years, and the one on my Taurus pistol has been used regularly-- whenever I leave the gun unattended in my parked car. No problems.

The only time I've had my gun disabled unintentionally is when I FORGOT to reactivate it. (Now, to prevent that from happening, I drop the mag and set it aside whenever the lock is engaged. I can't pick up the gun without noticing the mag is missing, and that's my clue to look at the internal lock.)

GunnSmokeer

TAS, the only way I'd concur with your Dad's opinion that a revolver is best for him is that if that's the only kind of handgun he'd like, and that he'd take shooting regularly, and which he'd feel comfortable with.

There's a lot to be said for the doctrine of "whether you think you can, or think you can't-- you're right!"
If he sees semi-autos as the WRONG GUN for him, and if he somehow got talked into buying one he'd hate it and resent not getting what he really wanted, he'd probably not practice with it much. Which means his skill level would go down, not up, over the years, and he'd have less self-confidence and more fear during any confrontation with a bad guy. People in fear often make bad decisions, or are paralyzed with fear into taking no action at all, when they really should act quickly and decisively.

So, it's not such a simple issue after all.
The right gun for Person A might not be the right one for Person B, based on attitudes and psychology, not physical attributes of the person.

GunnSmokeer

To illustrate my point: Imagine a guy whose only interest in firearms is cowboy style action shooting. He has owned an 1873 Peacemaker single action revolver for 10+ years and fired 20,000 rounds through it since then. Mostly rapid-fire too, and with plenty of practice point-shooting and quick-drawing.

Imagine somebody talks this dude into getting an H&K USP in .45 caliber with a tactical flashlight and laser. He's better armed now then he was before, right?

Well, I say maybe. Maybe not. How much range time is he going to put in with the new gun? Until he's made several trips to the range and shot a few thousand rounds out of the new weapon, under various conditions and kinds of targets, he's probably better off trusting his old Peacemaker. Until he reaches the same skill level with the new weapon.

delacroix

BANNED
Ruger GP100 in .327 Federal is plenty of pop with very low recoil. Same power level with not much more recoil is .357 125gr. If these are too much, he can do the .327 but stoke it with Georgia Arms .32H&R. Little more smack than .38 Special but not as much kick.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Do you oppose people buying such guns for POLITICAL reasons, to boycott a gun company that supported some gun control /gun safety measures back some 20 years ago, or do you actually fear the lock presents some real risk of failing at the wrong time and disabling your gun when you expect it to shoot?

I've had both Taurus and S&W revolvers with these internal disabling locks for years, and the one on my Taurus pistol has been used regularly-- whenever I leave the gun unattended in my parked car. No problems.

The only time I've had my gun disabled unintentionally is when I FORGOT to reactivate it. (Now, to prevent that from happening, I drop the mag and set it aside whenever the lock is engaged. I can't pick up the gun without noticing the mag is missing, and that's my clue to look at the internal lock.)

The political reasons they put them are beyond the scope of my reasons not to recommend them.

My father has had the internal locks deploy on two different S&W revolvers while he was at the range.

Thank God it was at the range and not a self defense situation.

Adding internal locks to weapons is a very stupid idea. There is no scenario where they make any sense.

Secure your weapon in a safe location.

Don't add crap to it that may disable it at the worse possible time. Whoever conjured up that lunacy was a fool.

nmurph

SW 642 Airweight if it has to be a revolver.

6 shots are enough to send a perp scrambling for the for door or window from whence they entered. It's also concealable enough to be carried in the front pocket without a holster.

I would suggest a 9mm pistol if he's more adept. It could be left RTF if there are no small children in the picture.

Quepos1

One of my favorite pistols is my S&W 686 with a 4 inch barrel. I'm close to your Dad's age and don't find it unpleasant to shoot loaded with 357 and a joy to shoot with 38 loads. I routinely practice with 38s because they are cheap but keep it loaded with 357. Just try several loads in each caliber to find point of aim similar between the two.

GunnSmokeer

SW 642 Airweight if it has to be a revolver.

6 shots are enough to send a perp scrambling for the for door or window from whence they entered.

The 642 is a J-frame gun. In .38 caliber, you only get 5 shots.

BUT, why in the world would you recommend a tiny pocket sized gun for the home defense role???

If the gun is NOT going to be carried, but simply stored in the drawer or on the nightstand,
you don't need a lightweight.
Very light guns have more recoil and muzzle flip.
You don't need a stubby little barrel.
You don't need tiny sights that are made not to snag your clothing during a draw.

What you'd want is a larger gun with good sights, a good trigger pull, & decent ammo capacity.

nmurph

The 642 is a J-frame gun. In .38 caliber, you only get 5 shots.

BUT, why in the world would you recommend a tiny pocket sized gun for the home defense role???

If the gun is NOT going to be carried, but simply stored in the drawer or on the nightstand,
you don't need a lightweight.
Very light guns have more recoil and muzzle flip.
You don't need a stubby little barrel.
You don't need tiny sights that are made not to snag your clothing during a draw.

What you'd want is a larger gun with good sights, a good trigger pull, & decent ammo capacity.

You're right, 5 shots, but otherwise I think a small .38 is plenty sufficient for someone who wants something to confront a burglar but doesn't want a .357. A 2" barrel is plenty for across the room accuracy. My 58YO wife carries one and handles the recoil no problemo (please dont tell her I disclosed her age, or I will have to sleep with both eyes open). I actually think a 9mm pistol is the best option, but the OP's dad wants a revolver.

Dub

Beretta 92 w/o safety, but a decocker.

Put a rail mounted light/green laser combo on it.

Keep it loaded with Gold Dots.

Send it in to Wilson Combat for action tune sweetness. Put thick or thin grips on it.

Nightstand goodness.

Chairside goodness from his magazine rack.

Quepos1

All these responses are interesting but many are non responsive to the original post and question. The OP states his father wants a REVOLVER therefore recommendations for shotguns, semi auto pistons, cannons, and hand grenades are by definition non responsive.

snuffy

Don't know where you live but I am in Henry county and have a S&W Model 67 and Model 10, both with 4 inch barrels.
To me the 4 inch are much easier to shoot accurately that the 2 inch.

Y'all are welcome to come shoot them and see if he might like that.

Both are pre lock.
You can find them for sale at a fair price if you look around and are patient.

I also have a Model 629 4 inch I might be able to scratch up some 44 Specials for.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

All these responses are interesting but many are non responsive to the original post and question. The OP states his father wants a REVOLVER therefore recommendations for shotguns, semi auto pistons, cannons, and hand grenades are by definition non responsive.
That’s why I recommended the classic of the classics. 10-6. His father most likely will be familiar with that gun if he was in the Air Force as some pilots carried them.

Latest posts