Hornady SST

krizia829

Anyone know where I can find Hornady SST .30-06 in 150gr. ? I am going crazy trying to find these online. I know with the ammo shortage it'll be difficult, but maybe some local mom and pop shops anyone know about that would ship to FL that might have?

krizia829

do you want boolits or loaded rounds?

Loaded rounds. These shoot the best out of my Remington 700!
I'll settle for something else similar if it comes down to it but I prefer to spend a little extra to get what my rifle shoots well

frankwright

I did a little searching on some of the more obscure sites and there is none in stock anywhere.
Unless you just get lucky and find some at Academy,Barrows, Adventure Outdoors or some place like that it is going to be a hard find.
I searched for days trying to find 125gr Hornady SST bullets to load for my 300 BO with no luck. Finally had to get some Sierra 125 tipped bullets to load!
Crazy times out there!

NWS

Reloaded a bunch of SST 30-06 for the 1st time this season. I normally shoot either the older Nosler SBBT or Sierra PH. The SST’s shoot great. I am sure they will do well on deer.

Big7

The Oracle
Reloaded a bunch of SST 30-06 for the 1st time this season. I normally shoot either the older Nosler SBBT or Sierra PH. The SST’s shoot great. I am sure they will do well on deer.
I did the same for my 3 7.62X54R's.
They are good boolits.

krizia829

I did a little searching on some of the more obscure sites and there is none in stock anywhere.
Unless you just get lucky and find some at Academy,Barrows, Adventure Outdoors or some place like that it is going to be a hard find.
I searched for days trying to find 125gr Hornady SST bullets to load for my 300 BO with no luck. Finally had to get some Sierra 125 tipped bullets to load!
Crazy times out there!
Those stores don't exist down here in Miami! Lol This is crazy for sure!

krizia829

I love them! With the exception of one deer that I shot, everything has dropped on the spot. Incredible amount of damage that round can do!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I love them in my 7.62x39 AR. Killed several with them. I wouldn't shoot them out of a faster caliber, to be honest, too much fragmentation and meat damage.

Gator89

I love them in my 7.62x39 AR. Killed several with them. I wouldn't shoot them out of a faster caliber, to be honest, too much fragmentation and meat damage.

I have shot 150 grain SSTs in my 308 and 139s in a 280, no more wasted meat than any other bullet I have shot. I don't worry about shooting shoulders, I will trade a little shoulder meat for an anchored deer.

Last edited:

Nimrod71

I have never hunted with Hornady bullets, I have always used Sierra or Nosler. From what ya'll are saying on here I may try them this year. I have a friend with a few boxes and I think I can trade him out of a box.

I shoot 308, can any one recommend a good load for 150 gr. SST's. Like I said I have never used them so a little advice would save shot and powder.

Thanks and Good Luck this season

rosewood

My experience with SSTs is they do blow up quickly and you get a lot of blood shot meat. Especially at higher velocities. At lower velocities, they work quite well. I have also seen the Nosler ballistic tips respond the same way. Saw a 180 grain Nosler in a 30-06 not penetrate a 130 lb buck at 20 yards. Blew up inside and no blood trail, fortunately he didn't go far. I wouldn't have believed a 180 grain in a 30-06 wouldn't have penetrated, but I did the necropsy myself. I prefer soft lead points for my deer bullet. At about 2400 FPS in a 7-08, had the SST take a near fist sized hole and part of the lung out the other side of a small buck.

I used to use the SST in everything, then switched to Sierra Game Kings and like the results much better.

Rosewood