Hot sauce thread

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Cindy makes datil sauce from the old Minorcan recipe.It makes the Datil Do It seem weak.

I had an Aunt who lived in St Augustine who was a full blood Minorcan. She had some incredible recipes. One was a type of clam chowder, and another was her Datil Pepper sauce. I wish I had gotten it from her before she passed.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
This one, agree it has to have flavor and not just heat. If I wanted that, Dave's Insanity Sauce would be exclusive.

20240522_100953.jpg

Also like Tabasco, probably because of MREs or Texas Pete.

My buddy is fermenting some now with a mix of peppers, onions and ramps, it's really good.

HermanMerman

This one, agree it has to have flavor and not just heat. If I wanted that, Dave's Insanity Sauce would be exclusive.

View attachment 1307240

Also like Tabasco, probably because of MREs or Texas Pete.

My buddy is fermenting some now with a mix of peppers, onions and ramps, it's really good.

The problem with Dave’s is it has pepper extract. Yes it makes it hot, but any sauce with extract has a weird, chemical aftertaste that just ain’t right.

WOODIE13

The problem with Dave’s is it has pepper extract. Yes it makes it hot, but any sauce with extract has a weird, chemical aftertaste that just ain’t right.
I can taste anything after that anyway and a drop or two makes anything inedible for me.

Used to love extreme heat, belly can't tolerate a lot of heat after I got older.

Dave's was a good gimmick, especially after some beers and a dare.

It almost taste like OC spray as I recall

Reactions: Dub

turkeykirk

Tabasco is my favorite. One we always had on the table growing up.

Dub

I can taste anything after that anyway and a drop or two makes anything inedible for me.

Used to love extreme heat, belly can't tolerate a lot of heat after I got older.

Dave's was a good gimmick, especially after some beers and a dare.

It almost taste like OC spray as I recall

Agree completely.

Zero desire for superhot.

I am after the flavors.

Doboy Dawg

All I know is when you order Mexican take don’t tell Juan you want some extra hot sauce to go with the chips:ROFLMAO:, I meant like two cups instead of their normal one. I got extra hot sauce :ROFLMAO:

I don’t know what he did but I think that salsa was hotter than Dave’s Insanity sauce!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
All I know is when you order Mexican take don’t tell Juan you want some extra hot sauce to go with the chips:ROFLMAO:, I meant like two cups instead of their normal one. I got extra hot sauce :ROFLMAO:

I don’t know what he did but I think that salsa was hotter than Dave’s Insanity sauce!
Been there done that.. lesson learned.. it's more cups of sauce, not extra hot sauce. :waggingfinger:

TJay

When I use hot sauce (which is all the time), I want HOT sauce. I don’t want any that have pepper extract though, it adds a ton of heat but there is a weird flavor that comes with it. I grabbed a bottle of Melinda’s from Publix the other day because the first ingredient was pepper mash, and it is not bad at all. But the champ in my mind is Ritual by Hellfire Hot Sauce. It is the best dang hot sauce I have ever had.
I like the Ritual myself. A nice Caribbean style hot sauce.

TJay

I really like the Crystal Xtra Hot, but it's not always stocked around here. Walmartz with have it occaisionally.

Shadow11

Lol. Hot sauce is hot sauce. There's no such thing as flavored hot sauce. It's hot or it aint.... It's straight or it's gay.

I've tried making it with fruit like peaches, pineapple, etc. I've tried making it by fermentation and boiling. There's no difference! Anybody that says it needs flavor is putting the flavor in a different ingredient of the dish.

It's a waste of time and money to do anything else with your hot sauce other than making it hot.

Dub

Lol. Hot sauce is hot sauce. There's no such thing as flavored hot sauce. It's hot or it aint.... It's straight or it's gay.

I've tried making it with fruit like peaches, pineapple, etc. I've tried making it by fermentation and boiling. There's no difference! Anybody that says it needs flavor is putting the flavor in a different ingredient of the dish.

It's a waste of time and money to do anything else with your hot sauce other than making it hot.

I couldn't disagree more.

Perhaps you haven't been able to pull it off, but there are a pile of store bought sauces discussed in this thread that have made it happen with distinctly delicious flavors without overpowering heat.

Most people, I'd wager, aren't interested in some type of heat challenge.....they simply wish to enhance the flavors of the foods they are eating.

Most.

WOODIE13

You can still add flavor after fermentation....just saying

Latest posts