How do you view Satan's power or omni whatever?

Artfuldodger

Does he know our thoughts and use them to tempt us? Does he tell us what we want to hear because he knows our thoughts? Omnipresent, Omniscience? We know he isn't omnipotent but he is the Ruler of this world in some aspect.

Artfuldodger

Eventually Jesus will return and Satan will be cast into the Lake of Fire. I'm also interested in how the entity of Satan differs from us in the aspect of not being able to be annihilated but only chained.
Satan seems to be everything God(not in power) is and we are except not ever being a human. God did incarnate as a human and His spirit enters humans. Will the false prophet or the anti-christ be Satan incarnate? Can Satan's spirit enter our human bodies?

LittleDrummerBoy

Satan is not omni- anything. Angels are much more powerful than humans. But God is much more powerful than angels.

Scripture says Satan entered Judas and has other examples of demons going in and out of people.

RegularJoe

Can't remember anywhere in The Bible we are told satan is all-knowing,
though he does demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Scripture.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Satan is not omni- anything. Angels are much more powerful than humans. But God is much more powerful than angels.

Scripture says Satan entered Judas and has other examples of demons going in and out of people.

Satan is a thug. I find it reassuring to know that when God speaks the word, He has one single solitary angel who can grab that thug, chain him and cast him into a fiery pit all by himself.

Although we do not work in the same realm as Satan, we have the power to overcome him thru Christ Jesus.

Artfuldodger

Can't remember anywhere in The Bible we are told Satan is all-knowing,
though he does demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Scripture.
I was thinking of Satan tempting Adam, and Jesus, and us and how he seems to talk to us like he knows us. I guess he is just an expert of knowing human kind enough to convince us that he knows us personally more than he actually does.
Like you said he knows enough Scripture to know about the Tree of Knowledge to tempt Eve and thus Adam, and things to tempt Jesus as well.
Maybe he doesn't know what we will do such as Job, but enough about Job and human nature to tempt him or us.

Artfuldodger

I wonder if Satan knows his own future as revealed by Scripture? If so why does he try to do what he does knowing his final destiny?

Artfuldodger

If Satan has no power over our future, then Job did exactly as what God foreseen. I do think Satan also knows his future and that his future as well has been foreseen by God.
Beyond that, I don't really know what Satan's purpose is in the realm of God's glory.

I'm suddenly picturing this powerful, supernatural being, with hardly no power or no mission. He can't really even think he does since he has to know what God has foreseen and that he can't really change or do anything about it.

Last edited:

RegularJoe

I wonder if Satan knows his own future as revealed by Scripture? If so why does he try to do what he does knowing his final destiny?
Given, Art, that satan is a most prideful entity
(i.e., he originally thought he could overthrow God - reason he and the others were given the boot?)
and based on that,
my guess is that either:
1. eventhough, yup, he knows that which Scripture reports to him about his eventual up-comin's, he probably just doesn't buy it? or
2. he sees his end likely approaching, has thereby nuttin' to loose, is gonna try to disrupt / harm / destroy as much of the Creation as he can up to his eventual demise?

RegularJoe

If Satan has no power over our future, then Job did exactly as what God foreseen. I do think Satan also knows his future and that his future as well has been foreseen by God.
Beyond that, I don't really know what Satan's purpose is in the realm of God's glory.

I'm suddenly picturing this powerful, supernatural being, with hardly no power or no mission. He can't really even think he does since he has to know what God has foreseen and that he can't really change or do anything about it.
Simply wish to offer my 2 cents that, for me, all your questions are worthy and important (although well beyond my paygrade to be able to address - hopefully anticipating getting some or all the answers upon arrivin' on the other side?).

Madman

Does he know our thoughts and use them to tempt us? Does he tell us what we want to hear because he knows our thoughts? Omnipresent, Omniscience? We know he isn't omnipotent but he is the Ruler of this world in some aspect.
No

Madman

Satan is a created being, an angelic creature fallen from grace by his own pride. He knows nothing except what he sees or his fellow demons reveal.

He desires to turn as many as possible to his ways believing that he would be their god. “He is angry because he knows his time is short”. Rev. 12:12

Fear not the demons, for our Lord is infinitely stronger.

RegularJoe

He desires to turn as many as possible to his ways believing that he would be their god. “He is angry because he knows his time is short”. Rev. 12:12
Thank you for this reminder Mad. This is helpful clarification which i had forgotten that satan for sure does know and accepts same.
Why am i posting this?
Cause a couple posts above i had replied to Art that
my guess is that either:
1. eventhough, yup, he knows that which Scripture reports to him about his eventual up-comin's, he probably just doesn't buy it?
but i was in error.
Apologies Art...
satan does buy it.

Madman

Thank you for this reminder Mad. This is helpful clarification which i had forgotten that satan for sure does know and accepts same.
Why am i posting this?
Cause a couple posts above i had replied to Art that

but i was in error.
Apologies Art...
satan does buy it.

Satan has a Father problem, as men, especially as men, we need to never look inward for guidance, but upward.

unfortunately I preach it better than I practice it.

Artfuldodger

Satan must have a lot of demons then. That would make it appear that satan is everywhere. Like when he asked God if he could tempt Job. How did satan find out Job even existed? How would satan find out about me at a particular time in order to tempt me at my time of weakness? I can't believe all of that knowledge he has is gathered from his demons.
I'm not saying he is all knowing but being a spirit seems to allow him to be everywhere at the same time. It would take a lot of demon messengers for satan to know what he knows.

Artfuldodger

I understand the concept that satan has been around long enough to learn human nature. Yet since he is a supernatural being, he seems to know by some type of superior knowledge of exactly when each human in the whole wide world is having a weak moment. He knew when Jesus was in the wilderness. I guess he would have demon messengers tracking Jesus but does he have one following each of us? How does that messenger get into my head to know I'm having a moment if I don't express it outwardly?
Not that any of us understand exactly how things work in the spirit world. Maybe in that world everyone knows everything, past, present, and future.

RegularJoe

Satan must have a lot of demons then.
Somewhere in The Book it is reported to be 1/3 of the angels present at the time satan was given the boot. However, it does not report how many as an absolute number that is, i.e., 1/3 x "X."

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I don’t know if it’s correct 100% but:

1) Satan uses whatever power he has to confuse, deceive and lead you away from God.

2) God uses His power to turn the hearts of people to Him, out of love, out of foolishness of the cross, so that you may choose Him!

And He rewards for your choice!

Artfuldodger

I don’t know if it’s correct 100% but:

1) Satan uses whatever power he has to confuse, deceive and lead you away from God.

2) God uses His power to turn the hearts of people to Him, out of love, out of foolishness of the cross, so that you may choose Him!

And He rewards for your choice!

Wait does Satan have power or just authority? Still trying to figure out mostly how it seems like Satan knows who to go to and to tempt perhaps millions of people all at the same time in the whole world.

How can a supernatural demon with other demons, appear to be omni-present?

Artfuldodger

I guess I've been more or less indoctrinated that Satan is real and is the ruler of this world. That the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

Perhaps by bad scripture interpretations of like minded people who perceived this concept.

After seeing some words interpreted as power that may only mean authority, I'm not sure what kind of power Satan really holds. I'm not really sure what the definition of "power" really is.