How hot will you hunt ?

Pate55

Just wondering what temperature is too hot to quail hunt ? With the end of the season coming up it looks like no more cold weather. It seems like my Llewellin “Duke” loses his scenting ability pretty quick on hot days.

spring

The heat certainly impacts a dog's endurance. By now all of the birds you'll find are your spring nestors, so my reluctance to take any birds is pretty high. It's still a great time to get out and work your dogs though; and doing so for another couple of weeks works well for me. These warm days however can bring Mr No-Shoulders into play though.... Be careful, and for your dogs, too!

spring

It was around 81 degrees this afternoon as my dogs locked down on some birds. I’m done for the season shooting any as we begin thinking of nesting and all that goes into the hope for next season, but every time I happen to see a covey rise, to me it’s a blessing.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I hunted Friday in 80 F cloudy but with club's, not mine, dogs. A well-maintained acreage with early released birds mixed with wild and no supplementary stocking over the season. Coveyrises only. Dogs found 18 coveys, 5 flushed early, and 13 shot into. Alternating pairs of guns picked up 18. "Dings" on birds that fly away are considered a half bird. Group limit is 25. Private club and I was fortunate to be able to hunt due to the generosity of two friends who are members. Here's a former resident that no longer lives on the property who was asked to leave two seasons ago. Gil

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 41