How I Spent My Morning

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Went out for awhile to one of my favorite creeks in the Smokies.

creek1.jpg

creek2.jpg

The water was quite low and clear, but there were still fish to be had.

I caught a bunch of these:

rainbow.jpg

Some of these:

speck.jpg

And one of these:

brown.jpg

brown2.jpg

I saw some cool stuff:

waterfall.jpg

ganoderma.jpg

bearpoo.jpg

It came up a big thunderstorm, and I went home.

The end.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Wish I was up there today too! Too hot here to do much except water Mrs. Wendy's flowers and my fig trees.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
First thing I would do if I was there would be just to lay down in that creek and wash this dag dum heat off me. Then I would fish and hope I could have half the success you have.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good morning for sure and a dandy Brown to boot. He looks like a torpedo.
Yeah, he was somewhere in the mid-teens. That big tail is like a Mercury outboard in fast water. Put up a heckuva fight on a 3-weight.

Cmp1

BANNED
Nice brown,those little guys were about the size of perch I got last week,yours are prettier,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Did he eat the dry or nymph?
Big black rubber-legged stonefly nymph. In a deep, swift hole under a big boulder. I lost a nice rainbow about 14" too that jumped like a Polaris missile and spit my fly back at me. Good crop of healthy solid rainbows this year, the best I've seen in a couple decades.

Cmp1

BANNED
Big black rubber-legged stonefly nymph. In a deep, swift hole under a big boulder. I lost a nice rainbow about 14" too that jumped like a Polaris missile and spit my fly back at me. Good crop of healthy solid rainbows this year, the best I've seen in a couple decades.
@NCHillbilly
I have a question,,,,you know I don't know how to fly fish,,,,how do you keep your fly in the hole? Just keep casting too it and letting it float by?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
@NCHillbilly
I have a question,,,,you know I don't know how to fly fish,,,,how do you keep your fly in the hole? Just keep casting too it and letting it float by?
I'm moving upstream constantly. If they're gonna hit that fly, they're usually going to smack it the first drift or two through a hole, pocket, or run. I'll cover several miles of creek in a day's fishing. The key with trout is a natural drag-free presentation. With a dry fly or nymph, if it isn't moving drag-free at the same speed as the current, they're not going to hit it, and may flee under a rock. With a streamer, that goes out the window.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice.
I fished one of my favorite streams ,on n.c. side, a couple of days ago.
Didn't see a soul in the four hours I was there.
Similar results except my brown was about half the size of yours.

Nice!