How Many are Hunting Extended Archery SW GA?

psedna

UAEC
With low temps even in south ga, I will still go some but not on days like today!

Anyone else still after them?

Lumpkin Hunter

I've went once up here in NG extended season for my county (Hall). Will probably go again. With no leaves there is little cover in the tree. I might try from the ground just for the fun of it with my bow.
Good luck to anyone still out there.

buckpasser

I’d go if it was gun. Bow hunting them after a several month long season? I’ll pass.

psedna

UAEC
Saw lots deer, bucks still prowling around -hitting feeders heavy. Cant keep corn in them even at low gravity settings. I didnt hunt Sunday am, only Sat pm and sunday pm - 21 plus windchill no way! You are right about not much cover and I have hunted with a recurve all year, even after decades o shooting them real close with a compound only - the trad game is very different and I have been in a steep learning curve. The window of opportunity is tight, event compared to a compound. Does and young bucks doable, big bucks consistently - not so sure on that. And the extremem late January cold doesnt make it any easier.

jbogg

Saw lots deer, bucks still prowling around -hitting feeders heavy. Cant keep corn in them even at low gravity settings. I didnt hunt Sunday am, only Sat pm and sunday pm - 21 plus windchill no way! You are right about not much cover and I have hunted with a recurve all year, even after decades o shooting them real close with a compound only - the trad game is very different and I have been in a steep learning curve. The window of opportunity is tight, event compared to a compound. Does and young bucks doable, big bucks consistently - not so sure on that. And the extremem late January cold doesnt make it any easier.
This is my experience as well. Hunting with a recurve without getting spotted this time of year is tough. I passed up some small bucks and does in November holding out for a few bigger bucks I was seeing regularly. I thought I would have plenty of opportunities in January, but they have been real spooky, and getting one within range during daylight has been tough.

I froze to death hunting this past Saturday with 18 mph winds, and was better prepared Sunday morning when it was 15 degrees. I sat for six hours on Sunday and saw over 30 deer in six hours, but only had a couple within trad range that never presented a shot. I’m certain some of those deer were seen multiple times moving back and forth on this small wood lot. I will probably hunt 1 or 2 more times once the rain pushes out this weekend.

psedna

UAEC
We need to talk sometime, I am hunting edge of miller and early county - they just seem esp wary this time of year and with the little cover in the trees - I am seeing tons of deer in mature open pines with occasional small oak for cover - just not enough for recurve. Prob moving into thicker woods, may have to stay higher than i wanted to with a recurve.

grouper throat

I might could talk my kids into going if it were at least muzzleloader. We have one member out of 13 hunting it that I know of.

Shadow11

I've went once up here in NG extended season for my county (Hall). Will probably go again. With no leaves there is little cover in the tree. I might try from the ground just for the fun of it with my bow.
Good luck to anyone still out there.

Same here. I was going to go out yesterday and try to kill a doe and get some summer sausage/brats made, but cypress processing is only open til 6pm. I think Cherokee is open til 7, but I would be lucky to even get there in time if I shot one late in the eve. I decided not to even go. Are there any other good processors that you know of up here with better hours?

HIGH COUNTRY

Clock is ticking down and weather looks unstable until Sunday am in SW Ga. I am prob hunting all day Sunday, work Monday, and take the final two days off Tuesday and Wednesday/ Planning on flinging arrows out of that recurve, missed three this year and passed tons of does and young bucks at close range. Still got a couple of studs walkking around, but prob not holding out at this point in time. Shot first one with rifle in many years, a few weeks ago. Was not but 42 but wind was howling that Sunday am - Decided not to sit in tree with bow, sat on ground in medium unthinne dpines on a road - 15 does and a buck steps out at 80 yards. 10 pt aged at 7.5 years old, no upper teeth or teeth on upper or bottom front, broken nose that was wobbly with what looked like two tennis balls under skill on each side of the nose. Dont believe he would have made it til next year. Prob close to 200 lbs still.