How Many Years Have You-

Redbow

Had a push lawn mower to last if you can remember. I have a 3hp Murray that I have had now for almost 20 years. It still runs well and does not use oil. True I have owned riding mowers along with this old push machine but its been tough so far I have used it a lot over the years. Mostly for trimming where I can't get into with the riding mower but I have cut the entire yard with it many times. Its a tough little machine and still starts easily.

I have had a bunch of push mowers I never bought a riding mower until I was on into my forties. Some have lasted 15 years or more and some I have had were push mowers that others threw away but were an easy fix. I always run 40 weight Diesel oil in all my mowers riding ones included. That works for me never had a problem doing that.

Now back in the early seventies Western Auto Stores started selling 2 cycle mowers for $29.95 each. If I remember correctly they were 18 inch cut mowers and my Uncle bought one. We lived in SC back then my Uncle used that mower for a couple of years then it quit on him. He and I were talking and I told him I needed a small push mower and he told me about the 2 cycle one that he had but would not run. He told me he had just bought another push mower a 4 cycle machine and that I could have the little 2 cycle mower if I wanted to come and get it and see if I could get it running again. In a day or so I drove over to his house and got the 2 cycle machine and took it home with me.

On my days off I examined the 2 cycle mower to see if I could fix it. It wasn't firing the plug was fouled so I put a new plug in it, pulled the starting chord a few times and it roared to life again. I thought to myself, well that was easy. I sharpened the blade and mowed my yard with it. My Uncle and I worked together on the Railroad and when I returned to work I told him about the fouled plug in the 2 cycle mower and that he could have it back if he wished. He said no, keep it and use it as long as it will run. That thing did run it ran for years afterwards mowing my yard many times over. I never used a 2 cycle oil in that little machine, just 30 weight motor oil in with the gasoline. It never missed a lick with me doing that.

One day I was using the little two cycle mower when the engine stopped suddenly. I knew by the sound of the thing that something had come loose inside the engine. I tore it down and sure enough the piston had broken. I called a shop in the city of Florence SC that I knew carried about any part for any mower that people needed and told them my problem with the 2 cycle mower. The man on the phone told me he did have the part to fix it, a new piston with the rod already attached along with the rings and new bearings. I bought the kit for six bucks and put the old 2 cycle back together. About the third pull of the starting chord the little machine roared back to life and I cut my yard with it. I was amazed at how tough the little mower really was.

Finally the old 2 cycle wore out the frame where the engine mounted to it the frame broke. I mentioned to someone at work about the tough little 2 cycle machine and how I hated to scrap it. Someone heard me and said I have one in my shed the engine blew up and I had to buy another push mower. If you want it I will bring it tomorrow. I took the mower home the frame looked almost new in fact the whole mower did. I tore it down and the rod was seized to the crankshaft. I think lack of oil killed that little mower. But I took the engine off the one my Uncle gave me and mounted it on the new to me give away mower and went back to mowing grass.

That little engine ran for a few years after I mounted it on the other frame and the same thing happened to it, the frame broke again but the engine still ran fine. I said to myself, ok that's it. Time to buy a new push mower. For only $29.95 at Western Auto they were well worth the money but many people did not like them because you had to mix the gas it used with oil. Western Auto had quit selling them by the time I scrapped my old 2 cycle machine. I hated to see it go.

specialk

Haven't used a pusher in years....i can go quicker and closer with weedeater.....i do remember the old reel pushers.....they were tough to push as a kid....

sinclair1

530437ED-AA06-45FE-A747-C888E9E4DB24.jpeg
This feb14th will be this mowers 14th birthday. My push is 12. I could get about 20 out of most anything I buy because I take care of stuff. People ask where I get my vintage polo shirts all the time. I tell them I bought it 25 years ago and have been wearing since?
I wash/wax my mowers each season.
6d7f8f95-568b-4271-bf6c-59a41c4f6bc5-jpeg.1127120

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
We had a green Lawn Boy two stroke pusher when I was a kid...When it finally quit, Dad bought a Kee big wheeled, aluminum deck pusher with a 6 horse Briggs motor.

That thing still ran good when I sold my house in town and sold it to a neighbor a dozen years ago.

I ain't pushing nothing, no more. What I can't get with the Dixie Chopper gets Round Upped, now.

Hillbilly stalker

Back home in the hills, people used 2 strokes a lot because on a side hill you would blow a motor from starving it from oil. People mostly used a green one called a "Lawn boy". I don't remember who made the motor for them, but a Briggs & Stratton was always my favorite. If a Briggs gets gas and fire....its gonna run, minus a twisted key in the shaft. But your right, push mowers seem to last for ever. I remember my dad buying one at a yard sale for $3. We brought it home and he had it running in about 10 minutes and we used it for 10 years or better. The frame goes before the motor bout every time. I have a gimmie at the house right now that a fellow thought he wore out 8-10 years ago, fresh gas and 2 or 3 pulls and she will bust right off. You would be surprised how many grown men can not even change a pull rope on a mower nowadays.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I had a toro push mower from the early 80s that I brought from Texas when I moved here to Ga in late 90s.

I use to push mow the better part of 3 uneven acres with it for years until I got real grass and it became too much/often.

I gave that push mower to a friend after I got a small riding mower and it set in my garage unused for a year or 2.

That mower was taken care of and served me well for 25 years. All I did was keep the oil changed, filter clean and re-wheeled 2x.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Ive had the one I’ve got now for twelve years. Never done anything to it besides replace the starter rope.

oldfella1962

I usually get about five years out of a super cheap/simple Walmart push power, so for about 150 bucks or so that's well worth it. I'm about to turn 60 and I'll never use a riding lawn mower unless I end up living in a home with a yard bigger than 1/2 acre or I suffer a serious injury and my strength/stamina is compromised.

specialk

Ive been in my house about 35 yrs and im on my 2nd riding mower...got about 3acs i cut....

Redbow

Riding mowers only give me about 12 years of service or so. We have lots of sand here blades do not last but one season of cutting grass. I have to replace my blades before the grass cutting season starts this year the blades I used last year are worn out. I usually change the oil in my mowers maybe once every 2-3 years or so. I have maybe changed the oil in my old push mower that is going on 20 years old maybe a half dozen times. It still runs and cuts just fine. One thing I can see that even the small 20 inch cut push mowers have risen sharply in price. What I used to buy for less than one hundred bucks is now approaching 200 bucks or more. The last new ones I looked at were made of course, in China.

BeerThirty

I have a little Honda-powered Toro. Used it for about 8 years before my yard got too big and I graduated to a rider, JD X380. I still have it in the shed for backup and making my boys cut their teeth on mowing. The self-propel feature seems to have just went out on it and occasionally the choke sticks but it still runs tops otherwise.

ribber

Had a push lawn mower to last if you can remember. I have a 3hp Murray that I have had now for almost 20 years. It still runs well and does not use oil. True I have owned riding mowers along with this old push machine but its been tough so far I have used it a lot over the years. Mostly for trimming where I can't get into with the riding mower but I have cut the entire yard with it many times. Its a tough little machine and still starts easily.

I have had a bunch of push mowers I never bought a riding mower until I was on into my forties. Some have lasted 15 years or more and some I have had were push mowers that others threw away but were an easy fix. I always run 40 weight Diesel oil in all my mowers riding ones included. That works for me never had a problem doing that.

Now back in the early seventies Western Auto Stores started selling 2 cycle mowers for $29.95 each. If I remember correctly they were 18 inch cut mowers and my Uncle bought one. We lived in SC back then my Uncle used that mower for a couple of years then it quit on him. He and I were talking and I told him I needed a small push mower and he told me about the 2 cycle one that he had but would not run. He told me he had just bought another push mower a 4 cycle machine and that I could have the little 2 cycle mower if I wanted to come and get it and see if I could get it running again. In a day or so I drove over to his house and got the 2 cycle machine and took it home with me.

On my days off I examined the 2 cycle mower to see if I could fix it. It wasn't firing the plug was fouled so I put a new plug in it, pulled the starting chord a few times and it roared to life again. I thought to myself, well that was easy. I sharpened the blade and mowed my yard with it. My Uncle and I worked together on the Railroad and when I returned to work I told him about the fouled plug in the 2 cycle mower and that he could have it back if he wished. He said no, keep it and use it as long as it will run. That thing did run it ran for years afterwards mowing my yard many times over. I never used a 2 cycle oil in that little machine, just 30 weight motor oil in with the gasoline. It never missed a lick with me doing that.

One day I was using the little two cycle mower when the engine stopped suddenly. I knew by the sound of the thing that something had come loose inside the engine. I tore it down and sure enough the piston had broken. I called a shop in the city of Florence SC that I knew carried about any part for any mower that people needed and told them my problem with the 2 cycle mower. The man on the phone told me he did have the part to fix it, a new piston with the rod already attached along with the rings and new bearings. I bought the kit for six bucks and put the old 2 cycle back together. About the third pull of the starting chord the little machine roared back to life and I cut my yard with it. I was amazed at how tough the little mower really was.

Finally the old 2 cycle wore out the frame where the engine mounted to it the frame broke. I mentioned to someone at work about the tough little 2 cycle machine and how I hated to scrap it. Someone heard me and said I have one in my shed the engine blew up and I had to buy another push mower. If you want it I will bring it tomorrow. I took the mower home the frame looked almost new in fact the whole mower did. I tore it down and the rod was seized to the crankshaft. I think lack of oil killed that little mower. But I took the engine off the one my Uncle gave me and mounted it on the new to me give away mower and went back to mowing grass.

That little engine ran for a few years after I mounted it on the other frame and the same thing happened to it, the frame broke again but the engine still ran fine. I said to myself, ok that's it. Time to buy a new push mower. For only $29.95 at Western Auto they were well worth the money but many people did not like them because you had to mix the gas it used with oil. Western Auto had quit selling them by the time I scrapped my old 2 cycle machine. I hated to see it go.

I currently use a Murray with the bigger wheels on the rear. I bought it 1997 at Walmart back when I was cutting grass on the side. In the last 8-10 years I just use it to cut around the pool and a few areas my rider can't reach. It starts on the 2-3 pull usually.
I know this is hard to believe and I probably wouldn't believe it either, but I've never changed the oil or the spark plug. It does use oil so I just add some here and there and blow the air filter out occasionally. The only money I've ever spent on it was a 2-3 new blades, a pull cord, and one of the big rear tires cracked so I ordered a new one. It's been a great machine and runs/cuts great. If it dies tomorrow, I can't complain.

jdgator

This feb14th will be this mowers 14th birthday. My push is 12. I could get about 20 out of most anything I buy because I take care of stuff. People ask where I get my vintage polo shirts all the time. I tell them I bought it 25 years ago and have been wearing since?
I wash/wax my mowers each season.

Sinclair, you are the kind of fellow I like buying used equipment from. If it comes from you at least I know you took care of it.

Redbow

My Honda push mower is similar to Sinclairs and about 25 yrs old. Shop tunes it up and sharpens blade every 4-5 years.

If you lived around the coast like we do you would have to sharpen the blades every 3 or 4 times of use. This sand eats them up and dulls them very quickly.