How to climb SRT for saddle hunting

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I made a video yesterday. No editing and there are mistakes, like I said hitch instead of girth, called my rolling lock a Grigri…..etc…. But anywho it was fun to do And I hope someone thinking about SRT Climbing will learn something.

Merry Christmas y’all!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Throwball or monkey's fist (knot) on the end...
I think DRT (double rope technique)gives you a mechanical advantage and I don't know how you're gonna tie a rope over a limb from the ground and then untie it and leave with it...
With DRT I can spider fly down silently and then leave with my rope easily...
But my extensive tree climbing experience was all for a professional tree service (mostly my own)...
And I haven't watched the video, i'm sure i'm missing something...
Merry Christmas Bfriendly...
And all yall!

James12

I made a video yesterday. No editing and there are mistakes, like I said hitch instead of girth, called my rolling lock a Grigri…..etc…. But anywho it was fun to do And I hope someone thinking about SRT Climbing will learn something.

Merry Christmas y’all!

You’re half squirrel! Nice tutorial too buddy!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Ok so getting the paracord in the tree is where most folks use an arborist’s throwball. I have a slingshot fishing rod/reel setup that I use. I’ll make a video on how to do what we call a ”preset”.
In a nut shell, I’ll shoot a casting spoon over the limb I want my rope to go over. I’ll attach my paracord to the end of my fishing line and simply pull it back over.……do the same thing with the rope attaching to the paracord. This technique can be used to simply go hunt, but you’ll need something like a throwball to get the first smaller line in the crotch you want the rope to be. I’ll leave the paracord in the tree so when I hunt it, I just clip to it and pull My rope up and over.
I will scout and put “presets” where I plan to climb this way.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Throwball or monkey's fist (knot) on the end...
I think DRT (double rope technique)gives you a mechanical advantage and I don't know how you're gonna tie a rope over a limb from the ground and then untie it and leave with it...
With DRT I can spider fly down silently and then leave with my rope easily...
But my extensive tree climbing experience was all for a professional tree service (mostly my own)...
And I haven't watched the video, i'm sure i'm missing something...
Merry Christmas Bfriendly...
And all yall!
Cause you didn’t watch! ::ke: I’m tying an alpine butterfly, then putting the end of my rope through that. Leaving the paracord attached to the side with loop, I just pull it back down. Hook paracord to that end and leave it in the tree!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Cause you didn’t watch! ::ke: I’m tying an alpine butterfly, then putting the end of my rope through that. Leaving the paracord attached to the side with loop, I just pull it back down. Hook paracord to that end and leave it in the tree!
I'll get to watching it when it's not christmas morning at my house.
With what little bit of saddle hunting I did. I never left my rope in the tree... because I would rarely come back to the same tree. If I found I liked a particular tree, I would put a stand in it.
I'll watch soon...

Oakview

So, I admire folks for trying innovative ways to hunt, but I just don’t think I get it. All of that done in the daylight looked difficult, how the heck do you do that in the dark? I’m not that old, but certainly past my prime. No way I could or would attempt that. I‘m going to watch a few YouTube videos to see what I’m missing. Good luck and be careful. Enjoyed the video.

tree cutter 08

It's definitely something that takes time and getting use to but saddle hunting is probably the safest way to hunt off the ground. I'll probably never carry a climber to the woods again. I still prefer to hunt off the ground but a saddle is the next best option. Also deer won't pick you off when in a saddle vs a lock on or climber. More natural looking.