How to climb SRT for saddle hunting

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm down with the convenience of not carrying a stand into mountain wilderness, but OTG is even more convenient. I've found some of those white pines and hemlocks that I could scramble up without a rope and then lanyard myself in with my lightweight hunting saddle, But it usually involved clearing a few obstructing small limbs on the way up and making some noise. Seems I never have a good clear shot all around without having to make some movement to get a different angles or shoot around limbs. And if I didn't have some good thick limbs to stand on or crotches to put my feet in. I was never comfortable for long. I also can't seem to be quite as still in a saddle as I can in a stand. And definitely can't put my head down on the gun rest for a little shut eye.I've never taken a shot out of what saddle hunting I did but would foresee making a little noise trying to get in position especially with a bow. And then there's proper archery form to worry about while dangling from the side of a tree with was my waste bent and twisted...
I'm also not much on setting my rope in a tree in the dark or presetting my sets.
And at 65 yo, getting up on rope only is physically excerting.
I have an awesome little saddle with removable leg supports underneath and soft (silent) D rings on the hips but it has been relegated to setting and hunting lock ons where it is a tremendous help.
But nobody is the same. Everybody finds use of a particular system and method that they can use and employ the best...
Good luck to all!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That was a well done video. I have been saddle hunting for the past five seasons, but just started one sticking in the last month or so, but I think I have finally settled on it as my climbing method. And who doesn’t love rappelling down at the end of a hunt.
I’ve been 1 sticking since shortly after I started, maybe 3-4 years. I have found big white oaks I want to get into, but cannot with the 1 stick. If I can find the right crotch to preset paracord, I can be up and have an arrow knocked in less than 10-15 minutes, ez.
I use all the arborists tools and tricks for tree climbing. As I should. It is a significant part of my job.
y’all are the ones who started all this! Arborists hunting from their equipment versus a tree stand was a no brainer To them.

You do Need a platform to put your feet on y’all. Without a place to put your feet, you’d be “dangling”. With a small platform I’m mostly leaning, but can sit , rest my arms on my bridge and take a nap…..my strap also has a step on each side. When I shot my buck last week, I put my right foot on the right step, turned +/-190 degrees away from the tree and with my left foot on the edge of the platform,I was solid as a rock! Here’s my platform setup

IMG_3168.jpegIMG_3083.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Great video bfriendly ! So glad to see you able to do that so soon after shoulder surgery .
Keep on keeping on , you look and seem like you are having a blast , but I’m gonna stick with my climber :D
The shoulder is doing great but I was sore as all get out after climbing 5 or 6 times. Set my kid’s weight bench up for his Christmas and started Lifting weights Too. It’s been a loooong time! At 56 I feel as good as I ever have and am in better shape too…..and yes, I’m having a blast!
I will say my legs are and have always been kind of strong. I used to climb those straight ladders on the sides of 12k gallon tanks and I could fly up those things. I get more than my share of steps at work on the daily too…….I don’t want to slow down more than I have to!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You can see my current 1 stick just below my platform. I like a full sized stick with a single aider. That black gear tie on top makes it easier to grab without bending over so much. A cam cleat with amsteel for a cord and it detaches and reattaches easy. When one sticking, we’ll hang, grab the stick, move it up, and do this 2-3 times.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
@Pig Predator , this is what I was referring to... (sarc).
Not SRTers or public land hunters.
I consider myself one part of the year...

Screenshot_20231226_185211_Brave.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

jbogg

Pick the hair on the bear. Looks like you're dialed in just fine.
Yep. I started shooting a recurve just over a year ago, but have tried to shoot at least every other day since then. I’ve got my shot process down, but when I had a bear in Trad range this fall my mind went blank and I completely forgot my progression. I never even got to full draw before releasing, and shot a foot under his belly. He trotted maybe 20 yds away and started feeding again before slowly moving off. The sound of a Trad bow doesn’t seem to bother them much.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I started shooting a recurve just over a year ago, but have tried to shoot at least every other day since then. I’ve got my shot process down, but when I had a bear in Trad range this fall my mind went blank and I completely forgot my progression. I never even got to full draw before releasing, and shot a foot under his belly. He trotted maybe 20 yds away and started feeding again before slowly moving off. The sound of a Trad bow doesn’t seem to bother them much.
Nothing like shooting a bow that's part of your body. When I bow hunt, it's with primitive stuff I make. It'll still kill stuff just fine if I do my part.

OffTheBeatnPath

I've been hunting out of a saddle for 4 years and have tried a few different methods of climbing, watched buddies one stick and they all seem to end up back with multiple sticks.. just didn't seem worth it to me to save 3-4 pounds.
Is this method just to have a lighter load going to / from woods ?
I've been using 3 lattitude sticks with triple step aiders and get close to 30 feet, they are super light as well and really bite the tree

jbogg

I've been hunting out of a saddle for 4 years and have tried a few different methods of climbing, watched buddies one stick and they all seem to end up back with multiple sticks.. just didn't seem worth it to me to save 3-4 pounds.
Is this method just to have a lighter load going to / from woods ?
I've been using 3 lattitude sticks with triple step aiders and get close to 30 feet, they are super light as well and really bite the tree
I think multiple sticks would be a little easier to climb with, but as you mentioned a 3 or 4 pound weight penalty ends up being a big deal if you hunt public land in the mountains. We are often hunting a couple of miles from the truck, and it’s not like walking 2 miles around the neighborhood. Very steep and rough country, and after a while, you start feeling every one of those pounds.