Hunting the Longleaf???

Bob2010

I'm preparing to plant a small stand of Longleaf Pines. We will conduct control burns regularly. It appears to me in scouting and looking at others stands that the deer love the LL. The green after control burns as well as it appears the deer will eat the Pinecones. Is the hunting around LL better than hunting around Loblollies? Curious who hunts LL regularly.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I do, but I`ve never seen deer eat pine burrs of any kind. There`s generally plenty of browse in a longleaf savannah, especially if it has been properly maintained by prescribed burning.

chrislibby88

I don’t think they prefer long leaf over loblolly. The deer don’t know the difference. They just like the habitat type of thinned open canopy pines. It’s usually head high in native grasses, succulent vegetation and vines, and young hardwood saplings. Perfect bedding cover and year round browse.

It’s gonna take probably 15-25 years and several timber thinnings before it gets to that point though. You can’t plant your pines pre-spaced or they grow short and wide- what the timber boys call “wolfy”. Wolfy trees are low timber value. You have to plant them tight so they grow straight up to compete for light, and periodically thin them to open space for the canopies.

Bob2010

I don’t think they prefer long leaf over loblolly. The deer don’t know the difference. They just like the habitat type of thinned open canopy pines. It’s usually head high in native grasses, succulent vegetation and vines, and young hardwood saplings. Perfect bedding cover and year round browse.

It’s gonna take probably 15-25 years and several timber thinnings before it gets to that point though. You can’t plant your pines pre-spaced or they grow short and wide- what the timber boys call “wolfy”. Wolfy trees are low timber value. You have to plant them tight so they grow straight up to compete for light, and periodically thin them to open space for the canopies.
We are planting some Loblolly too. I have a few acres of Loblolly that are 10 to 15 years old. I hope to get that area thinned and start burning them. Maybe you know the answer. What happens if I don't thin the Loblolly after 7 to 10 years. I know it's not ideal for timber production. From a wildlife perspective. Can you leave them thick and just start burning? Do the trees loose all value? Or does it just take longer to have trees that are timber grade? Seems like everything goes to chipping saw these days anyways.

Kev

We are planting some Loblolly too. I have a few acres of Loblolly that are 10 to 15 years old. I hope to get that area thinned and start burning them. Maybe you know the answer. What happens if I don't thin the Loblolly after 7 to 10 years. I know it's not ideal for timber production. From a wildlife perspective. Can you leave them thick and just start burning? Do the trees loose all value? Or does it just take longer to have trees that are timber grade? Seems like everything goes to chipping saw these days anyways.
If you don’t thin, the trees will stay pulpwood for a long time and then they will start self thinning or the beetles will take them for you.

Bob2010

I think a deer might eat some part of a pine if it came down to survival, but have never seen or heard of one eating it in GA when there is something else available.
Forester told me that the Pune nuts come from mature LL pine cone. That deer will eat them. I noticed when checking a stand of Longleaf at Berry College that pinecones were chewed apart. I'm sure squirrel get at them. The deer were destroying the new growth after burns.

Bob2010

Why would you want self thinning when you can thin them by selling the timber? Make the money and improve timber quality at the same time.
Small acreage tracts. I'm planting for Wildlife. Also to get a solid 30 acre stand that my boys could harvest in 25 years if they have too. LL are slow! Planting 17 acres. Loblolly is like 7 acres. They are faster but I wanted the bedding and fast screen along the road. 25 acres of thinning pulp will pay zero dollars. The loggers left pulp loads behind 2 years ago. Paid nothing. On a small scale. I will have to thin myself and leave wood on the ground. The 7 acres will be ready to thin before the LL. The LL may thin themselves anyways. Montaine LL in the mountains. I'm right at the tip of the native range.

Kev

Small acreage tracts. I'm planting for Wildlife. Also to get a solid 30 acre stand that my boys could harvest in 25 years if they have too. LL are slow! Planting 17 acres. Loblolly is like 7 acres. They are faster but I wanted the bedding and fast screen along the road. 25 acres of thinning pulp will pay zero dollars. The loggers left pulp loads behind 2 years ago. Paid nothing. On a small scale. I will have to thin myself and leave wood on the ground. The 7 acres will be ready to thin before the LL. The LL may thin themselves anyways. Montaine LL in the mountains. I'm right at the tip of the native range.
Ok

buckpasser

I’m not crazy about any kind of planted pine being great for deer. At least you can burn LL prethin and get some browse and maybe a little turkey use earlier. Definitely not the best thing to do with a deer first acreage IMO.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Many years ago I leased a tract in Madison County Ga that was owned by Catawba Timber Co in SC.

I remember getting a couple of letters from them urging lessors to kill as many deer as legally allowed on our lease.
This was due to them experiencing deer killing pine seedlings by eating the tops off on newly planted tracts. My tract was older trees.
I have never seen deer eat pine seedlings or cones.
I’ve seen many rubs on pines and cedars.

chrislibby88

It will turn into a birds nest of canopied out thin trees. Like other said, beetles will kill them, drought will kill them. They won’t have enough light or root space to really thrive and will be more vulnerable. It will also be poor habitat. Closed canopy pines don’t allow browse to grow at ground level. It’s gonna be pine straw and green briar, and maybe some deer trails cutting the corners. If you burn them like this you’ll likely have a high fire kill rate. Have them properly thinned so you can extract money out of them. And yes, you can make make money on tracts as small at 20-30 acres. Probably not off the first thinning, or maybe even the second especially if markets are down, but the later thinning you can make a good lick. I own 17 acres and we have made money the past two thinnigns.

Bob2010

Many years ago I leased a tract in Madison County Ga that was owned by Catawba Timber Co in SC.

I remember getting a couple of letters from them urging lessors to kill as many deer as legally allowed on our lease.
This was due to them experiencing deer killing pine seedlings by eating the tops off on newly planted tracts. My tract was older trees.
That's crazy!

Bob2010

I’m not crazy about any kind of planted pine being great for deer. At least you can burn LL prethin and get some browse and maybe a little turkey use earlier. Definitely not the best thing to do with a deer first acreage IMO.
We have always done well with deer and pine plantations. The multiple phases of growth is very productive. For me personally, it takes diversity, meaning Hardwoods, water, plots, Pines and more. The LL add to the diversity also with the use of fire. Straight Pine Plantations without diversity has been relatively unproductive in my opinion.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

Somebody may of topped them