Hunting the Longleaf???

Bob2010

Hey Goats love eating green pine needles and actually is goood for them'
maybe deer follow suit.........
Maybe? I swear the deer are eating the wet soil when we water trees. I also have heard they will eat dirt after a nitrogen boost late winter time. I think they eat lots of stuff we don't know about.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Many years ago I leased a tract in Madison County Ga that was owned by Catawba Timber Co in SC.

I remember getting a couple of letters from them urging lessors to kill as many deer as legally allowed on our lease.
This was due to them experiencing deer killing pine seedlings by eating the tops off on newly planted tracts. My tract was older trees.
I have never seen deer eat pine seedlings or cones.
I’ve seen many rubs on pines and cedars.
They regularly browse the tops out of white pine seedlings in the woods here.

DocBar

The absolute best place I have to find a deer during the fall/winter is a 40 acre stand of longleaf I planted ten years ago. I burn every other year so it’s pretty much only longleaf, broomstraw and some scattered briar patches.

For the loblolly, if you aren’t planning to do a commercial first thinning and are only interested in wildlife and eventual timber, don’t wait to start thinning. Walk them every year and take out any trees with catfaces, split stems, broken tops, etc. you’ll give the rest of the trees more sun and also keep a few holes in the canopy open for some better habitat on the ground.