I posted this in the LFTT thread this morning, but figured it was important enough to post here as well.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
What’s a good size chain to use as a replacement? I have several with cables that are about 5 years old.
1/4 inch chain around 70 grade will be way more than sufficient.

kingfish

I was nothing but lock ons for years. I have several of the old LOK ON stands which were perfect because they didn't have cables. Now I have an entire corner of the garage dedicated to sticks, steps and stands. One thing I learned from a good hunting buddy of mine who was a career trade welder is anywhere there is a weld you have the potential for a break. So I took all my stands one at a time, and reinforced the weld areas with 49 strand cable and crimps all on the frame of the stand. Any place there is a cable and crimp, I put another cable and crimp, but attached it to the frame not the ring. When I put the stand in a tree, I use the heaviest cable tie I can find and secure the frame to the tree top and bottom, after I've put the chain or rope around the tree. Sounds like a lot but usually when I put a lock on up, it's in a pretty good spot, close to a bedding or good food source. Anything else I climber in and out. Always, with a HSS safety harness.

Kev

I know multiple people that have fallen or nearly fallen because of broken lock on cables. I use to sit in those things 40 feet off the ground but probably not anymore.

Gaswamp

notice that harness is always mentioned as important but so is the lifeline as well

uturn

I’m nearly 100% lock-ons and have been for years and used to climb and sit in them with nairry a harness nor lifetime including when I occasionally used my open front climbers…but several years ago I made the decision to never again ascend without a harness and a lifeline on my lock-ons and a tree strap when in a climber…i shortly realized what a fool I had been!!

I make a lot of my own stuff with line I buy from REI and as I have showed multiple friend I can ascend and descend with a harness and tree strap and up and back down from my lock-on fully loaded within seconds of them wearing nothing!

And, I also have them on the handful of ladder I have leaned up as well!!

Just not any reason…NONE not to clip in!!! NEVER LEAVE THE GROUND WITHOUT THEM!!!!!!

Glad this ended well!

Hope everyone has a great and safe season….and don‘t forget to send pictures…we’ll be waitin!

Scott

releehweoj

It may have already been mentioned but bears repeating here. Check/replace those ratchet straps that you are using to secure you stands to trees. They don't last forever and I know from experience.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If your feet leave the ground, put a dang safety harness on!View attachment 1179451

Preach it brother! I'm glad you are none the worse for wear. There is no such thing as a "perfectly good tree stand". Nobody hunts on my place that doesn't wear a safety harness. I won't allow it.

tell sackett

I climbed up my lok on ladder this morning and stepped onto the stand. As I was getting situated and taking my pack off the bottom of the stand broke. Before I even realized what was happening I was hanging by my safety harness. Other than a little chaffing from the straps and still puckered a little bit, I have no injuries. The steel cables holding the seat to the foot rest broke. They have now been replaced with chain. 37 years of hunting and this was the first time I’ve ever had a deer stand mishap.
If your feet leave the ground, put a dang safety harness on!View attachment 1179451

words to live by(literally)

Lilly001

As I have aged I have started having dizzy spells and kaleidoscopic migraines.
I’ve stopped using climbers or lock on and use a few ladder stands. I have safety lines on all that I use and don’t leave the ground without being hitched up.
I’ve also put stair rails on my shooting houses even though the tallest is just 6’ above the ground.
I realize I’m getting older, and I want to keep on getting older while I keep safe.

uturn

I climbed up my lok on ladder this morning and stepped onto the stand. As I was getting situated and taking my pack off the bottom of the stand broke. Before I even realized what was happening I was hanging by my safety harness. Other than a little chaffing from the straps and still puckered a little bit, I have no injuries. The steel cables holding the seat to the foot rest broke. They have now been replaced with chain. 37 years of hunting and this was the first time I’ve ever had a deer stand mishap.
Yep clip in…ALWAYS EVERY TIME! Glad you are all good and thanks for sharin!!

Latest posts