I want to learn to fly fish.

head buster

After fishing this weekend around Helen, I would like to try fly fishing. I went in Unicoi Outfitters which is right out of town and was just looking and saw the different lengths of rods. Seems like a shorter rod would work better for getting into the tight areas. What's the differenceon lengths and the different weights?
I've bream fished with a fly rod before but I know that's different than getting out there in the creeks and streams.

So what should I need to know about fly fishing (trout)?

Thanks

speechless33759

If you want an all around rod for these parts, I would suggest an 8'6" 5 wt rod. Limber enough to put a decent fight with a trout, and strong enough to cast some bigger flies for bass and bream...(Not too big though). I'd go with a TFO rod...great rod with great warranties and at a great price. But if you can afford one, get a sage.

In terms of flies

Dry Flies: Adams and Elk Hair Caddis
Nymphs: Hare's Ear, Phesant tail, San Juan Worms, and Glo Bugs

Get a bunch of those in 12, 14, and 16 sizes. I personally do a whole lot better with nymphs, but you just have to be very aware of your line because trout can spit that stuff out fast.

TopWater94

I work at Unicoi. Don't know what kind of "creeks and streams" and how wide they are you are reffering to but if you are in a tight stream say about 6 - 10 feet wide or so then I rec. a Sage ZXL 3 wt. 7' 4 pc/ It packs a punch for such a small rod. Us guides call it the "pocket rocket." Its tag is a bit pricey, but if you want performance then thats what you want. Then if you want to save a few hundred bucks then I suggest a St. Croix Imperial 3wt. 6'6" 2pc. with an SA dbl taper line will get your flies where ever you need them to go. Its a great rod for smaller streams, pursuing smaller natives with this baby is the way to go. Priced around $160.00 or so. I say go wht the St. Croix. We have almost the full lineup at the UO Blue Ridge shop, and you can cast either one you want to before so you can make a good decision. Ask, Chad who is there most of the time to hook you up with a test rod . He's as knowledgeable as any guide working at UO. Good luck and any more ?s let me know.

head buster

What's the different weights mean? The higher the number the stiffer the rod and visa versa for a lower number?

Topwater, I picked up a 7'6 St. Croix Sunday morning and felt nice in the hand. If I were to go with a shorter rod, how would it perform with the bigger fish I've seen y'all post picts of? Would the 6'6 do the job on say a 3 or 4 pound fish?
Sorry for all the questions.

allenww

The "weight" refers to the size (weight) of line for which the rod is recommended.

First time fishermen generally are best served to follow the rod manufacturer's recommendation.

After you are an accomplished caster, you may choose to "upline"
or "downline" for a specific rod or specific circumstances (I don't,
but many do).

When you are getting started, a 4 weight is the most frequently recommended. Later, when you are going way up toward the headwaters of a stream ("blue lining"), you may choose to take
your two weight because the tight quarters demand perfect 12ft
casts. Or, you may want an eight weight for blues around Fernandina's flats.

Other than that, you may sometime find yourself in possession of a rod that is a lousy performer. Sometimes going up or down a weight from that recommended can make a world of difference.

And finally, sometimes young folks overpower their rods, and old geezers may just not have the strength anymore. Going up or down in line weight may be just the ticket to a more satisfying day on the water.

wa

fishnpreacher

Fly rods are rated for different lines as allenww said. Lines are measured in grams the first 35(?) feet, and the heavier the line, the higher the weight. You will find a wide range of "actions" for every line weight. So you may have a tip action (fairly stiff) 6wt, or a full flex (limber action) 6wt. Weights generally are matched to the fish you target, while actions are personal preference.
And as allen said, you can vary a rods action by up or down sizing. Fishing a 5wt line on a 4wt rod will slow down the action just a bit, because of the extra weight of the line.
Rod length is another preference. Most people find shorter, lighter rods work best on small streams. My personal favorite is a bamboo rod I built. Its a 6'3" 4wt, and it is perfect for small streams, to me anyway. Others favor a longer rod for easier "high sticking", or following the fly with the rod tip.
The best advise I can give you is to buy the best you can afford. Don't scrimp on the line. A $500 rod won't cast a cheap line, but a good line can make all the difference in the world. A moderate priced rod, decent reel, and a good line will run you anywhere from $125.00 and up.
Pre packaged outfits can be a good bargain, but be careful about the line. Most outfits come with a lesser quality line, OK for lawn practice, but not much good for fishing.
One final note, a floating line will be about all you'll need for trout, especially small streams.

WinMag.300

If you are in Griffin try to make it to Newnan, Ga at Sprayberrys BBQ. We are having a West Ga meetup. We are all fly fisherman and I will even extend an invitation to some "free"basic casting lessons. I can possibly even help you out with a rod to try out and see what you prefer. Just let me know and would love to see a new face at the meetup. I will be headed out to do some fishing this weekend also if you would like some lessons on reading water etc....and if you want a decent free guide I can let you know my schedule and help you learn the ropes.

Tightliner

Fly rods are rated for different lines as allenww said. Lines are measured in grams the first 35(?) feet, and the heavier the line, the higher the weight. You will find a wide range of "actions" for every line weight. So you may have a tip action (fairly stiff) 6wt, or a full flex (limber action) 6wt. Weights generally are matched to the fish you target, while actions are personal preference.
And as allen said, you can vary a rods action by up or down sizing. Fishing a 5wt line on a 4wt rod will slow down the action just a bit, because of the extra weight of the line.
Rod length is another preference. Most people find shorter, lighter rods work best on small streams. My personal favorite is a bamboo rod I built. Its a 6'3" 4wt, and it is perfect for small streams, to me anyway. Others favor a longer rod for easier "high sticking", or following the fly with the rod tip.
The best advise I can give you is to buy the best you can afford. Don't scrimp on the line. A $500 rod won't cast a cheap line, but a good line can make all the difference in the world. A moderate priced rod, decent reel, and a good line will run you anywhere from $125.00 and up.
Pre packaged outfits can be a good bargain, but be careful about the line. Most outfits come with a lesser quality line, OK for lawn practice, but not much good for fishing.
One final note, a floating line will be about all you'll need for trout, especially small streams.

Dotto on the line!!!! Keep in mind that you can change the performance of you chosen rod by interchanging lines. I always have an upweighted line available when conditions call for it. Line size make a huge difference in high wind conditions and casting large or heavy flies. Get on the net and read up on line taper (wf, dt, shooting head, etc), this also can be matched to your casting style. Overweighting your line to your rod size can help performance, but never under weight, there is nothing there to load your rod. I really like RIO Grand lines, they are standard .5 over.

For a beginning caster you might find that slower to moderate action rods are more forgiving than a fast action.
Personally I prefer longer rods, even in small streams. They come in handy threading them through the bush to "dabble" your fly in overhanging brush. They also work well "sling shoting" your fly under overhangs. In small mtn streams you will not doing a huge amount of back cast. You will find roll casting and dabbling most effective in confined spaces.

Find an outfitter that will string up a bunch of rods for you and pick what feels best to you. Explain to them the type water(s) you plan to fish and they can lead you to the proper weight/length. Personally, if I had to choose one rod for all conditions, I would fish a 9ft 3wt (but thats just me), with the new fiber technology smaller rods have become casting machines.

Choose you rod and practice, practice & practice. Put a small circle in your yard and get the feel of the rod. Remember, you back cast is 90% of you cast. This is the part of the cast that loads the rod. Before long you can "feel" a proper cast before it is ever made. And dont forget to tie a small bit of yarn on the tip of your leader so that you see it roll the fly properly. It also prevents destroying a good leader when you crack the sound barrier (ie. like a whip). Good luck with your new addiction!

Later.....................................

TopWater94

HB, When you get into catching fish in that wt range, then you are better off with a stiff 4wt - any 5 wt. 8' 6" being the minimum length. (suggt'd) (refer to speechless' post above)

Don't worry about all the technical jargon as a newbie. What you want to do is get on the water and have fun. As a newbie, I think you should go with a 5 wt for all purpose trout fishing. Get the St. Croix Imperial 5wt 8"6".

Last edited:

Tightliner

Cast as many rods as you can and choose the one that feels best to you. Any good shop will be willing to string up a bunch of rods and let U give them a swing. Anything between a 3 and 5 will do well for most Ga. streams. I see that you are from Griffin and not familiar with shops in that area. If your up in Atlanta there are a few good shops that come to mind. The Fish Hawk probably carries the widest variety of manufacturers around. I know that Gary will string up as many rods as you want to cast. They are solid citizens and will treat you well

Somewhere in my maze of mess I have a book on flyfishing basics given to me years ago (gear, tactics, and some basic insect info). Give me a yell me and I will give it to you (if I can dig it up).

Later.......................................

head buster

Guys I appreciate all the info you have shared. I was at my grandparents today and found a Mitchell Classic 300 IM6 8' 5-6 wt. with a Shakespear OMNI 44 reel. Without me going out and dropping a ton of money right away I think I'll start with this. What you guys think?

Tightliner, I appreciate the book. Let me know if you find it. Yes I am from Griffin. Born and raised. There are no shops with any fly fishing stuff in them around other than what you may find in a Dicks.

WinMag.300, I will take you up on your offer. Thanks alot.

Again thanks for all the info.

TopWater94

I think your'e headed in the right direction ( towards the water ) and thats all that really matters.

atljohnfe

I just took the Unicoi Blue Ridge Fly Fishing class last weekend. I am also just a beginner. You will learn just about everything you need to know to get started. David is an excellent instructor and the other folks in the store, Chad and Becky are great to get you lined up with everything you need to know. I highly recommend taking the class before you develop any bad habbits, such as incorrect casting that will have to be unlearned later.

TopWater94

I just took the Unicoi Blue Ridge Fly Fishing class last weekend. I am also just a beginner. You will learn just about everything you need to know to get started. David is an excellent instructor and the other folks in the store, Chad and Becky are great to get you lined up with everything you need to know. I highly recommend taking the class before you develop any bad habbits, such as incorrect casting that will have to be unlearned later.

I agree, David is about as versed on fishing in this area of the country as anyone else out there. But thats just the bonus, the best part is that he is a fantastic person to be around as well as Becky and Chad. Great folks to work with.

for more details on the FF class at Unicoi check out the website. www.unicoioutfitters.com

allenww

OK, HB, now you have a rod and reel and line.

Now go to "Go Fish WestGeorgia" to see the types of flies that catch Georgia fish.

BuckHunter 34

I went to the ga. trout camp this summer and they gave out TFO 5weight 8'6" and i LOVE IT!!! my dad has 2 other fly rods ...one is a 5 weight and the other is a 3...mine cast both further and easier and its not very expensive!! Its in the signature series.. hope i helped...also the fish in my avatar was caught n the same rod

good luck
-Ryan corrigan