I'm 35 And Have No Hunting Friends...

Welp - completed the hunter safety course. Passed the test. Have my hunting license. Been to Pine Log (for squirrels; got two and the dog treed another but I ran out of shells at the perfect time) and Big Lazer (mostly for the shooting range but also because I had a rental pickup truck while my car was in the shop and I wanted to go deep up to the river/creek on the north side and see if I could use my YouTube skills to find hog signm which I did on the northern border by that river/creek). I also did find deer sign at Big Lazer and actually bumped a deer out of its bedding, I'm assuming... it got up and ran. My dog must have spooked it and I'm kind of wondering if he was smelling it because he was on a beeline for where it ran from and I was following figuring something was up (I was thinking squirrels, though... he loves to chase them). Anyway, come deer season I'm sure I'll never see that deer again. It wasn't anything impressive, anyway. Used a YouTube video to process and cook the squirrel. Ate some... it's... okay, gave the rest to the dog and he was in heaven. Sat there watching me do everything like an actually disciplined hound... what a marvel.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Welcome to the Campfire Manual. How did you cook the squirrels?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fried Squirrel is fine. I like them fried and on the grill. If it was an old one, it might have been a little tough.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Glad to have you. Lots of good folks here and tons of knowledge.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Welp - completed the hunter safety course. Passed the test. Have my hunting license. Been to Pine Log (for squirrels; got two and the dog treed another but I ran out of shells at the perfect time) and Big Lazer (mostly for the shooting range but also because I had a rental pickup truck while my car was in the shop and I wanted to go deep up to the river/creek on the north side and see if I could use my YouTube skills to find hog signm which I did on the northern border by that river/creek). I also did find deer sign at Big Lazer and actually bumped a deer out of its bedding, I'm assuming... it got up and ran. My dog must have spooked it and I'm kind of wondering if he was smelling it because he was on a beeline for where it ran from and I was following figuring something was up (I was thinking squirrels, though... he loves to chase them). Anyway, come deer season I'm sure I'll never see that deer again. It wasn't anything impressive, anyway. Used a YouTube video to process and cook the squirrel. Ate some... it's... okay, gave the rest to the dog and he was in heaven. Sat there watching me do everything like an actually disciplined hound... what a marvel.
When were you at Big Lazer? If it was Friday we saw each other. I had been the only one up there when I got there. I had been turkey scouting that morning and as I was just about back to my truck a guy came driving by in a blue truck headed toward the river. That you?

I had a white Nissan Frontier with a Florida plate. There wasn't anyone on the interior roads whenever I was driving through except for one guy, but it escapes me what vehicle it was. I just remember him and I crossed paths in a tight area and the 2WD truck almost got stuck, haha. I drove all the roads just getting familiar with the place and then did some scouting off the road immediately left of the firing range (if you're facing the firing range) and then that offshoot by the entrance, which is where the pooch and I bumped a deer by some new pines.

I spent most of my time at the firing range that day, though. Got me a .308 medium/long-range (600-800 yards) heavy barrel rifle I put together (Savage action) that needed barrel break-in and initial zero with the new on-clearance for 60% off Nikon scope (wee!). Trying an MRAD scope this time... so confused.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I had a white Nissan Frontier with a Florida plate. There wasn't anyone on the interior roads whenever I was driving through except for one guy, but it escapes me what vehicle it was. I just remember him and I crossed paths in a tight area and the 2WD truck almost got stuck, haha. I drove all the roads just getting familiar with the place and then did some scouting off the road immediately left of the firing range (if you're facing the firing range) and then that offshoot by the entrance, which is where the pooch and I bumped a deer by some new pines.

I spent most of my time at the firing range that day, though. Got me a .308 medium/long-range (600-800 yards) heavy barrel rifle I put together (Savage action) that needed barrel break-in and initial zero with the new on-clearance for 60% off Nikon scope (wee!). Trying an MRAD scope this time... so confused.
Ok that wasn’t you that I saw. I was there Friday though.

Thinking I'm going to have to get me a 4x4! Couldn't get far on the road by the power lines next to the church at Pine Log today with a VW Jetta, haha. Creeks cross the road there and I decided to hike instead of get stuck. Found absolutely NOTHING today there but I did find a lot of interesting potential deer sign (beat up tree bark, exposed ground in high-vis areas where there's normally a ton of leaf cover, obvious trails) and I think some hog sign (or just previously flooded area). I found a few places I'll try to post up if I decide to deer hunt there (well, I will hunt there... not "get", haha).

Also found a ton of litter in one area that I pulled out. Ridiculous.