Pellet Rifle

GunnSmokeer

I got a used, good condition break-barrel (spring piston action)
.177 air rifle for $50 from an internet ad a few years ago.
It's WAY MORE POWERFUL than any of the several 10-pump pneumatic airguns I've owned before. Slightly more accurate with most pellets, but some pellets are more accurate than others (just like .22 rimfire rifles. You gotta test several kinds of ammo in your gun and see).
I think it's the best choice for pest control around a suburban home.

PS: But, it's pretty loud. Louder than a .22 bolt action rifle loaded with CB caps or other CB ammo. The best spring piston gun would be one with a built-in silencer on the barrel (it's legal if factory installed and non-removable).

Some new break-barrel guns use "gas piston" technology.
I don't know about that. Is that quieter? In theory it should be.

bighonkinjeep

IF I can run across an old stock/NIB..or gently used Benjamin 392(.22)…what should I expect to pay for it? Fair price for the seller + myself.?
The wood 392's Ive seen look like around $200.
Not many for sale. I guess because those that have them enjoy them that much.
It looks like Crossman is marketing a Crossman 362 as a close replacement but I dont know about the quality and havent personally held one. About $120. Looks like it comes with peep sights. (not my cup of tea) Also seems it has a polymer breech but from what I read an easily swapped out steel breech is availabke for $35. With all the polymers used in the firearms industry today polymer may be just fine.
Not sure about scope mounting options either. Seems to have good reviews and may be a good option to look into at that price point.
Good Luck

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
You would be surprised at the actual killing power of a Daisy Red Rider BB Gun.
Mine has taken many nuisance critters and the sound doesn't travel past my property line.

pacecars

I can vouch for Mike at flying dragon. He did my QB78 and it shoots extremely well

JR924

The wood 392's Ive seen look like around $200.
Not many for sale. I guess because those that have them enjoy them that much.
It looks like Crossman is marketing a Crossman 362 as a close replacement but I dont know about the quality and havent personally held one. About $120. Looks like it comes with peep sights. (not my cup of tea) Also seems it has a polymer breech but from what I read an easily swapped out steel breech is availabke for $35. With all the polymers used in the firearms industry today polymer may be just fine.
Not sure about scope mounting options either. Seems to have good reviews and may be a good option to look into at that price point.
Good Luck
This is a nice anniversary wood stocked Crossman. However their is some plastic. Tom Gaylord reviewed it. Accuracy was not outstanding. They cut $100 of the price. Some collectors have bought them and liked them. For that price, you can get a nice vintage Crossman 140 or 1400. Baker Airguns has several nice ones.

JR924

I got a used, good condition break-barrel (spring piston action)
.177 air rifle for $50 from an internet ad a few years ago.
It's WAY MORE POWERFUL than any of the several 10-pump pneumatic airguns I've owned before. Slightly more accurate with most pellets, but some pellets are more accurate than others (just like .22 rimfire rifles. You gotta test several kinds of ammo in your gun and see).
I think it's the best choice for pest control around a suburban home.

PS: But, it's pretty loud. Louder than a .22 bolt action rifle loaded with CB caps or other CB ammo. The best spring piston gun would be one with a built-in silencer on the barrel (it's legal if factory installed and non-removable).

Some new break-barrel guns use "gas piston" technology.
I don't know about that. Is that quieter? In theory it should be.
My 2 cents. I do not think they are quieter. I had an earlier Gamo Swarm. It was as or more loud as my springers but it was more powerful. Less power means both a springer and gas ram gun will be quieter. Gamo, Hatsan, Stoeger ect have put on sound moderators. However, much of the noise comes from the airgun receiver. Sound moderators work better on PCPs. Note to use heavy pellets with magnum springers. If they go supersonic, they crack like a rifle. Seems gas rams, except the expensive HW 90, have a failure rate unacceptable to me. Basically the rams are not repairable so costly to replace. For this reason, I avoid them. However getting a Hatsan 135 springer in 30 cal maybe worth the risk. Told it is a hoot to shoot.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
They will kill stuff but every one I've shot has been minute of paper plate accuracy at about 8 yards.
I would rate mine at minute of crow at 15 yards.
But, I've had it 30+years too.

sleepr71

JR924..what are you referring to when you say “gas ram”.? The guns that compress co2,or air? I’ve done a little reading..and they sound like a good idea..but you say they are unreliable & fail rather quickly.?

K80Shooter

My Tikka T1x with a silencer makes no noise at all, only a click and a thump.

I do have a Hatsan Torpedo 150 but it is a little heavy and not near as quite.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

I had one of these crossman 2100 classics about 25 years ago. It was a very accurate, a good pest controller, and pretty darn powerful and flat shooting despite its sleeved barrel with the plastic bushing. Theyclaim 800fps with pba pellets and i do know they shoot plenty hard with lead as well. I wish I still had it but it accidently got stepped on and bent like a banana.
Dont know how theyre made nowdays but at this price with the little 4x scope included ( same scope was on mine but i bought it seperate) it may be a great econo option at $60 from Walmart when purchased online.Screenshot_20240506_203954_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

JR924

JR924..what are you referring to when you say “gas ram”.? The guns that compress co2,or air? I’ve done a little reading..and they sound like a good idea..but you say they are unreliable & fail rather quickly.?
Gas ram has a flexible cylinder filled with a gas like nitrogen and is compressed when cocked and violently expands when trigger is pulled and drives the air and pellet out of the guns. (see below video). Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The good gas rams like the Theoban that is in the HW 90 is very nice, low failure rate and tunable. However hearing bad things about the cheap ones like the Hatsan and Gamo in the forums I read so my opinion is based on that. I do not have statistics to back it. Many of the airgun nuts look down on those Chinese guns,. .However, you may get a good one.

JR924

Here is a thread that discusses opinions on gas rams, mostly Hatson ones. Seems hit or miss on quality on the cheap gas rams vs. the cheap springers.