Incredibly good

Bream Pole

Ten lb boston butt:

After covering with olive oil, I seasoned with Lowery's Tabasco Seasoned Salt that I mix up myself adding ground Tabasco pepper to the regular seasoned salt, and a seasoning I mix of coarse ground black pepper, pink salt and Spice Islands Beau Monde seasoning.

Next I smoked for about 15-20 minutes over Stubbs Briquettes on the Cast Iron Kettle grill while the BGE was getting up to temp. The Egg was loaded with BGE lump and Willow Oak, a red oak that is abundant on my property, that I harvested from a tree that I had to cut down and let dry out for several months. I transferred the Boston Butt to the Egg when the Egg reached a temperature of 240, and smoked until the butt reached an internal temp of 187. At that point I wrapped in foil and continued until temp of 207 was reached and it probed like butter.

I let rest for an hour and pulled bone and removed fat when temp was 170. Then with two dinner forks I pulled or shredded the pork. There was a delicious au jus in the bottom of the pan, and I stirred the pulled pork in it coating the pork throughout with the au jus.

If it hadn't been pledged to the family beach gathering, I might have eaten it all myself while it was still warm. Although I made up some good BBQ Sauce and bought a couple of bottles in case folks didn't like mine, it really would be a sin to put sauce on this. That is my humble opinion anyway::)

You might ask why the first smoke over the briquettes? Flavor. I like the flavor briquettes provide. More work, but better taste.

By the way I am a big fan of cooking directly over coals. I bought a cast iron grate for my egg and used stainless steel bolts to give it legs so that it is level with the top of the bottom of the egg. This raises it far enough over the coals where I can cook on low heat without the plate setter and I have not found any advantage to a water pan which the plate setter lets you use. I like the flavor that comes from the meat dripping on the coals as it cooks.

photo IMG_1991_zpsjohdp5iu.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I like what I'm seeing, but fully understand the method to your madness also! :cool:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Oh Man Yeah!!!!!!! Outstanding!!!! :clap: