indian burial grounds

swamphawg

Sorry to drag this out so far but I'm still wondering if it's legal or not to dig in a mound if it's on your own property?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

swamphawg

Thanks for all the help Dawg.

swamphawg

It wouldn't need to be a long mound. The Creek Indians buried their dead in a circular pit, sitting up. Why disturb it?

I wouldn't want to mess with a grave. I figured though if it was a cache it'd be worth taking a look at. I see exactly where you're coming from but "disturbing" graves and historical sites is how archaeologists make their living. I'd be curious just to see if there's any significance or history in it. Trust me, I think the dead should be left alone.

bow_hunter125

Our neighbors have a Cherokee indian mound in their front yard from the 1700s. We think that there is also one in our backyard.

bdpost

Dont know for sure

But on my neighbors property there are a group of mounds. They are on the east side of a hill above a creek and pond. They are right across the property line so I can see them from the fire break but I have never really poked around them. Figure it would be best to let those spirits be! What do you think?
Thanks

Attachments

• mounds3 adj.jpg
    mounds3 adj.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 3,094

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
But on my neighbors property there are a group of mounds. They are on the east side of a hill above a creek and pond. They are right across the property line so I can see them from the fire break but I have never really poked around them. Figure it would be best to let those spirits be! What do you think?
Thanks

Are those mounds earth or rock? Hard to tell from the pics. Mounds on eastern slopes overlooking a valley with a water feature (creek or river) have a high probability of being indian graves. The east is the land of the "living" and the water is a path to the afterlife. Usually groups of mounds on eastern slopes are even higher probability of graves.

Handgunner

Bdpost, nice picture of neat place.. Just think when those mounds were made, the land was probably bare...

Dawg2, I didn't know that. See you can learn me something.. :D

P

PJason

I found both of these yesterday in the woods sitting right on top of a dirt mound. Does anyone have a clue what the pottery piece might be. It's grooved on each side. I wonder if it was used to wrap string or something around??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you have a piece of cordmarked ceramic there, with what maybe holes on the side. I can not place the name for the holes. More then likely the pot broke around the area of the holes and you just have a shred. A better photo would be nice. Also if you look at the edge what kind of grog do you see?

swamphawg

bdpost

Not really

Sure but I think they are dirt. There is a lot of moss on them and I am a big fan of no tresspassing! They are about 20 yards off my property. However they are in a circle, they seem tall or steep, that hill leads down to a creek head and pond, you can almost see the pond through the trees. I have always felt it was a special spot.

Attachments

• mounds adj.jpg
    mounds adj.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 2,758

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Sure but I think they are dirt. There is a lot of moss on them and I am a big fan of no tresspassing! They are about 20 yards off my property. However they are in a circle, they seem tall or steep, that hill leads down to a creek head and pond, you can almost see the pond through the trees. I have always felt it was a special spot.

Are they circular? About how tall and how wide across? Also are they all same size or different sizes?

MIG

Sorry to drag this out so far but I'm still wondering if it's legal or not to dig in a mound if it's on your own property?

Not if a human burial is involved. In fact it is a felony to knowingly disturb the contents of any burial or grave, regardless of age. Under GA law burials are not property of the owner of the land upon which the burial(s) are located - BTW, if you have native American burial(s), this doesn't mean someone's going to come condemn your property (I've heard that one before :bounce:).

FX Jenkins

Dawg2, I didn't know that. See you can learn me something.. :D

yea I took some notes there too, you just have to filter through about 42 posts a day to find anything from that fella..:bounce:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
yea I took some notes there too, you just have to filter through about 42 posts a day to find anything from that fella..:bounce:

I try at least 1 good one a day, it's hard but it does happen:bounce:

hevishot

Banned
most rock piles in the woods are as stated above, piles from fields being cleared. true buriel grounds exist all over Georgia, both known and relatively unknown. There are many large mounds and small mound complexes throughout the state, again both known and relatively unknown. I have hunted relics all over the south and have seen many village sites and burial grounds. Surface hunting with permission is one thing, but, NEVER disturb burial grounds! Check the internet and libraries for further info on mounds and tumuli in the south. P.S. nice find!

yep....most rock piles are NOT indian mounds but people often mistake them as such. Remember, they may be in the woods now but at one time those woods could have been fields. Bad juju to dig in a grave site!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Some of the piles around GA are more contemporary and a result of farming or clearing. I do have quite a few piles on my property that are not a result of farming and remain undisturbed except one that somebody dug around in probably 30-40 years ago based on the sdepth of the rocks in the gound where they were chunked. Another big concentration of them is on the Biltmore property in the Carolinas (Biltmore Estate). The location and type of pile or type of rock is a big indicator of whether it is a result of farming or indians. What I have is composed entirely of quartz or quartzite pieces varying from grapefruit to honeydew sized pieces that were all taken to the top of a hill, which no farmer would do, and there is no quartz in the immediate vicinity, except for gravel in the creek below. ALl of it was brought in from a massive quartz vein (we believe) from about 3-4 miles away.

Another indicator of an indian pile would be one that was composed entirely of granitic gneiss, but having one or a few smaller pieces of quartz which they revered for its "magical" (piezo electric) properties, placed on top.

Some of the mounds or "cairns" in GA have been found to have bone fragments, or artifacts and others nothing. So no one is really sure what some of the mounds were actually for. But ones on eastern slopes overlooking water tend to be graves and should be left alone out of respect.

Here is a decent link if you want a starting place for research.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2867