Islamorada, Tavernier, Key Largo - First Time

CamoDawg85

Marathon, Islamorada is a tourist trap, marathon has a Publix and plenty of places to get bait and drinks plus its cheaper. If you want to drive a little farther you can always stay in big pine. Ive been staying down there a month every summer for past 10 years or so

Terrell, what was your target species during your stay and how did you fair?

jdgator

Unless something unforeseen happens, likely going down Sat 3/30 - Fri 4/5. Moving it up earlier than planned due to a birthday and another vacation my bro-n-law has planned. With dates “almost” set in stone, anyone have additional feedback for a Keys trip that hasn’t already been mentioned? I will start researching lodging options this week.

Thanks in advance guys! Getting excited about this one, PRAYING for good weather!

Jeff

Jeff, it occured to me that you might not be aware that you can hire a local guide or a mate who doesn't have a charter to go out on your boat with you for the day. It's much cheaper than getting a charter. They show you any secret spots but they will definitely show you the ropes and get you dialed in on the bite quicker. I did that the first few. Years I went down there. Bud and Mary's Marina might be a good place to call if you wanted to look into it.

CamoDawg85

Jeff, it occured to me that you might not be aware that you can hire a local guide or a mate who doesn't have a charter to go out on your boat with you for the day. It's much cheaper than getting a charter. They show you any secret spots but they will definitely show you the ropes and get you dialed in on the bite quicker. I did that the first few. Years I went down there. Bud and Mary's Marina might be a good place to call if you wanted to look into it.

JD, I was not aware of that, very good to know. I think for the inaugural trip, I have decided to leave the boat behind. Bro-n-law has some extended family and family friends we’re going to hook up with and “should” only be without a fishing plan for ~2 days. This could all change with the weather of course. Maybe one day for a fair priced guide and another day to figure out on a whim. BNL’s wife gave him an 8 hr guided trip on okeechobee which covers up to 2 fishermen so that’s our plan for Fri. Still some stuff up in the air but slowly coming together.

Thanks JD.

We go off shore and catch as many dolphin as you want to catch and blackfin. Inshore we catch snappers and sometimes tarpon in the canals . As long as seas aren’t to bad you can find birds or weed lines and load the boat