Kayak repair

longbowdave1

I just rolled in to camp and found that a. Oak branch had fallen and harpooned my kayak. I have seen videos where guys have used plastic from 5 gallon buckets, and a plastic welding tool from harbor freight(oversized solder iron) to repair the plastic yaks. Has anyone tried this method,? Its about the size of the top of a pop can in the top of the gunnel rail.20210903_123820.jpg20210903_125244.jpg

Last edited:

longbowdave1

I was able to pull out most of the damaged area with pliers and a pair of channel locks.20210903_132814.jpg

longbowdave1

Yes, it works. I bought some plastic welding rod, a plastic piece for a patch, and a cheap soldering iron. I tried using plastic bottles, but it wouldn't stick.

https://www.mcmaster.com/welders/plastic-welding-rods-for-polyethylene/
thank
Yes, it works. I bought some plastic welding rod, a plastic piece for a patch, and a cheap soldering iron. I tried using plastic bottles, but it wouldn't stick.

https://www.mcmaster.com/welders/plastic-welding-rods-for-polyethylene/
Thank you for the info and the offer!

GunnSmokeer

88BF560D-296C-4C3A-AD79-5D0FFC97C39D.jpegD81914D2-5093-4A80-B399-642799F8418C.jpeg

I used a propane torch to soften the damaged area of yellow plastic on the hull of this kayak,

then melted some white HDPE plastic from an empty 5-gal. drywall mud bucket, and pressed the bubble-gum like white patch onto thr still-hot yellow hull.

Worked good. Tested it twice since the repair --once on Lake Allatoona and once on the Chattahoochee River between Settles Bridge and Abbotts Bridge.

longbowdave1

View attachment 1102201View attachment 1102202

I used a propane torch to soften the damaged area of yellow plastic on the hull of this kayak,

then melted some white HDPE plastic from an empty 5-gal. drywall mud bucket, and pressed the bubble-gum like white patch onto thr still-hot yellow hull.

Worked good. Tested it twice since the repair --once on Lake Allatoona and once on the Chattahoochee River between Settles Bridge and Abbotts Bridge.
Thanks for the information and pictures

Ajohnson0587

Used Gator patch on my bonafide, it comes in a 24" strip if memory serves correct. I had the owner of Westbrook Supply co in ATL perform the repair as I wanted it to be right since the front keel had gotten very thin and would have leaked on the next launch.

bentrod7

Does there happen to be a guy like the old Captain Dick for rigging and repairs? Miss his talent and fellowship !

Ajohnson0587

Does there happen to be a guy like the old Captain Dick for rigging and repairs? Miss his talent and fellowship !

Fletch at Westbrook Supply company can do any type of rigging/repair you can imagine. Great customer service and great prices, also he keeps the most popular kayak accessories instock. He’s also the closest Dakota Lithium battery dealer around, unless you live in Marietta near Dugout Bait &Tackle.

JakkBauer

id go with the torch as the harbor freight welder is not very good quality (speaking from experience) and you are really going to want to bond those two plastics especially if they are not exactly the same

DSGB

I used the harbor freight plastic welding rod to repair a spot on the keel of my kayak where the previous owner had about wore a hole in it. Since it is orange, I cut pieces from a Home Depot five gallon bucket. If I were to do it again, I'd use a heat gun.