Reverse flow smoker build- 250 gal

Moonpie1

Gone but not forgotten
Great job with the cooker!! Looks like you got your welding down pretty good. One suggestion. On your slide out grates, weld a stop and piece of angle to keep from coming out too far. And to prevent tipping when it's loaded with meat.

Moonpie1

Gone but not forgotten
Another trick with the doors is to cut area where the hinges attach. Go ahead and weld them on then finish cutting doors out. Then you don't have to wrestle with them to line up doors and hinges. Just an after thought if you help some one with another one.

papachaz

wow that is a great build and write up!

for your stack cap, you could just weld some threaded rod sticking out of the inside of the stack an inch or so, drill a hole in the top plate for the rod to slide through. find a spring to fit over it, put a washer on top of the spring and a nut on top and voila, there ya go.

also, on the doors. Being so heavy you have a couple of options. Those pneumatic type shocks like on the inside of most car hoods, OR some kind of counter weight welded to a rod/bar from the door off toward the back.

also you can check tractor supply for trailer supplies, they have a variety of fenders, or, etrailer.com

3ringer

Another trick with the doors is to cut area where the hinges attach. Go ahead and weld them on then finish cutting doors out. Then you don't have to wrestle with them to line up doors and hinges. Just an after thought if you help some one with another one.

Smart idea

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great job! That rig looks awesome, congrats!!!!!!!!!!

tsharp

I have worked on my smoker too. These is how I made my vent cap. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC02645.jpg
    DSC02645.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 889
  • DSC02646.jpg
    DSC02646.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 867

lbzdually

Banned
It weighs ALOT. I think i have read where the tank alone weighs 500-600 pounds. The firebox weighs roughly 480-500 pounds . I would say with everything its got to be pushing 1400-1500 pounds.

I'm hope I'm wrong here, but having that much weight (firebox) hanging behind the rear axle, then the tank just slightly forward of the axle, might cause the trailer to tip if not attached to a truck. This is especially true if you have a firebox full of wood and someone steps anywhere on the back of the trailer. I would put a small flip down jack as far back as you can to stop this from happening.

merc123

Really nice. Looks like you even used a stick welder and that in itself is a feat for someone that has never really done this kind of thing, I think.

Did the tires get any heat in them from cooking?

big ike

Nice job on the smoker!! made a few of these my self.
as a retired welder and fabricator I can't imagine making that many cuts with a grinder or maybe I missed something in your list of tools used.. gotta ask... how many disc did you use ??
need to put a lid stop on it, looks great!!

bnew17

mine before it was done...hope this helps

Thats exactly what ive been wanting to do but i cant find any pipe like that to run the rod through. We have a fab shop that would have it probably for an arm and a leg but they are rude and i refuse to buy from them.

Really nice. Looks like you even used a stick welder and that in itself is a feat for someone that has never really done this kind of thing, I think.

Did the tires get any heat in them from cooking?

I was curious at how much heat the tires would get especially with the support thats welded to the trailer frame from the firebox, but they dont even get warm

Nice job on the smoker!! made a few of these my self.
as a retired welder and fabricator I can't imagine making that many cuts with a grinder or maybe I missed something in your list of tools used.. gotta ask... how many disc did you use ??
need to put a lid stop on it, looks great!!

I had planned on a lid stop but it completely slipped my mind. Ive got some chicken and turkey on there now and its kinda tricky holding the door, flipping the chicken, and holding the light on my mouth! I have gone through a TON of disc. I have got all of them at harbor freight for dirt cheap. I would say i have used 60-70 discs. Enough that i burnt up my dewalt grinder about a month ago.

merc123

Thats exactly what ive been wanting to do but i cant find any pipe like that to run the rod through. We have a fab shop that would have it probably for an arm and a leg but they are rude and i refuse to buy from them.

Tractor supply might have some. I just bought a stick of solid, zinc plated rod for $2.99. Home Depot also has some.

Latest posts