Killing a doe with my 40 cal Glock???

Arrow3

I want to try and take a doe this year with my Glock....What ammo should I shoot?? What kind of range will it have?? I would think I would only be shooting at one 20 yards or less....

Schulze

How far can you shoot reliably? For me my limit is 25 yards with my 45. As far as load I am giong to try and get some LEO ammo to hunt with. If I cant I will probably use hand loaded gold dots.

Buzz

It depends on how well you shoot it. To me the answer is however far you can shoot baseball sized groups (offhand) without a single miss. IMO, for most shooters that means leaving it at home or in the holster. Any "defensive" handgun is seriously underpowered for most hunting situations and anything less than perfect shot placement will cause you an awful tracking job or lost deer.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Not to be repetitive

but it all depends on your ability to make a decent kill shot within a range that is realistic.

For me, even though I shoot a lot, when I hunted with my 44mag SRH w/scope I limited my self to 50yd shots, and really hoped they would be a lot closer.

I have a 357mag with 6" barell that has ammo capable of producing 500fps at 100 yds, but I am not comfortable hunting with it.:)

Re-tired

arrow 3

look up Buffalo Bore ammo on the web! I have a 357 mag rifle using their ammo it has about the same punch as a 30-30 and they have it for all callibers....

Trizey

At 15 yards or under, I'm going to try to take one with my Glock 23.

165g Federal Hydra-Shoks

Chuck Martin

Look at the speer gold dot 155gn or 180 grn from Master Cartriage in Villa Rica. Limit your shots to 15 or 20 yards. 7x57's advice is good reference your groups, most folks think they shoot a pistol better than they actually do. If you've got a good bow stand in a thick funnel that'd be a good place to think about setting up. You'll loose a little velocity with your 23 due to barrel length but if you keep it clooose, you'll be ok.

Arrow3

Im not really gonna go out and look to kill one with my pistol....If a doe walks by me within 15 yards, she better look out...:cool:

bevills1

Hunting deer with 40 S&W may not be legal in Georgia which requires 500 ft. lb. muzzle energy I believe which may be unachievable in that caliber. It might be possible to kill deer with it but may not be legal.

Arrow3

I think its legal....Im sure some of our other members know for sure..:huh:

H

HT2

Brandon.......

Good Luck Brother..........

I couldn't hit the ground with a pistol........... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bevills1

"There is such a variety of 40 S&W pistols in public use that we will not determine what pistols are compatible with which 40 S&W+P loads—this is your responsibility!" This is a quote from cite referenced, and one should be sure his gun is compatible with such loads. I also noticed it doesn't state what barrel length yeilds the claimed 582 ft. lb. muzzle energy. If that's from a 5 or 6 inch barrel, then it'll be lower velocity resulting in lower energy for shorter barrels like the Glock 23 has. If the load does generate at least 500 ft. lb. at muzzle, then it's Georgia legal and wish you success and enjoyment in hunting with it.

Trizey

bevills1 said:
If the load does generate at least 500 ft. lb. at muzzle, then it's Georgia legal and wish you success and enjoyment in hunting with it.

This is not a weapon that I would "hunt" with. I would only consider using my Glock on a very rare chance that a deer will present itself within 15 yards and the situation is right. If this chance presents itself and the load I'm using is legal, I would like to take that animal with my Glock.

Buzz

bevills1 said:
Hunting deer with 40 S&W may not be legal in Georgia which requires 500 ft. lb. muzzle energy I believe which may be unachievable in that caliber. It might be possible to kill deer with it but may not be legal.

Any centerfire .22 caliber or larger handgun is legal for deer hunting in Georgia. A while back it was 500 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards, but that changed 3 years ago.

BuckyG

Glocks rule

Go for it. But only with a 24, 35, or 22. 15 yards is a good distance but it depends on what you are comfortable with. Elmer Kieth had documented kills at 600 yards with a 44 mag. I use either hydro shocks or 180gr Golden Sabres for the best pennetration and SERIOUS expansion. I keep my mod 22 handy for just such a "under-the-stand" situation. Glocks in 40. ,.45 or 10mm are the ultimate hunting partner to have for rabid Dog or Yote issues, Bobcats, snakes, 2 legged critters (15 rounds should do). They are indestructable and extremely reliable. I think I'll go reload more ammo for mine. Good Luck. :clap:

Arrow3

Mine is a model 22...I feel like I can hit a deer in the vitals with no problem at 15 yards....Im just gonna keep it with me for close encounters.... :banana:

Joe Moran

I thought that the law had been changed, where any centerfire pistol was legal to hunt deer with.

There are definitely a few calibers that I would not choose, but I thought that any centerfire was legal.