Knife Sharpening

erog

I have a lot of knives that are starting to dull. I was in the boyscouts when I was young and learned to sharpen a knife. I've tried to sharpen many knives over the past years but I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I can never get a knife sharp enough to even shave my arm. I'm wondering if I was taught incorrectly when I started.

I'm looking for a little bit of help on this. Right now the equipment I have for sharpening are stones made by smith. I've one of the portable diamond stones with a rough and fine side, I don't recall the grits but I'm thinking like 450 and 600. I've also got a smith's tri hone sharpening system or something. It's got three stones labeled fine, medium, coarse. Not sure the grits on these. I'll go into the processes I've tried later in the post.

I'm looking for maybe a good video, possibly made by someone here if you have the time? Also tips that I can read will be helpful. Do you use stones dry, wet, or with oil? If you use oil what type of oil do you use? What grit stones should I be sure to have? How much time does it take? Basically any tips that you would give to someone who has never sharpened a knife before is what I'm looking for because I feel like I need to be retrained. I've pocket knives, kitchen knives, fixed blades, razors, etc. to practice with.

I've used different processes to attempt to sharpen my blades. I've tried stones with oil, water, and dry. I believe the purpose of having oil or water on the stone is to remove the shavings of metal from the stone so the poors don't get blocked, correct? If this is true then I feel like I should use at least water every time I sharpen and oil is preferable. I also read that if oil is used on a stone then it must always be used with oil. Can anyone explain this?

I have tried to find the current angle of the blade by laying the blade flat against the stone and lifting it up until it matches when I'm looking at it from the side. I have also tried to find the angle by sliding the stone slowly lifting it until it grabs the stone, then lowering it slightly. Are either of these viable options for finding the angle?

When actually attempting to sharpen I have tried both a straight push and a sort of half moon push (not sure what you would call it). Also, I have used different amounts of pressure varying from almost none at all to a fair amount. I tried the fair amount because I've seen many people say to "act like you're trying to shave the stone." This seems like it would be a waste of both the stone and the knife though so any help here would be appreciated.

I have not yet tried a method I've seen online called the sandpaper mousepad method. It looks like it uses the same process as stropping except you use varying sandpaper grits to sharpen the blade. Has anyone tried this and would it be a viable option?

I'm hoping to get some help here both for me and my fiancee's sake. I get frustrated and I'm sure she's sick of hearing me grumble :D.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve sharpened knives all my life, with a lot of different stuff, except for electrical shaprpeners. No experience with them. I used a whetrock for a long time, but nowadays, I use a diamond stick, then touch it with a ceramic rod, then strop on leather.

One important trick, is to never let the knife get dull. As you use it, touch it up with the ceramic rod, much like a meatcutter uses a butchers steel to "tetch" up his kinives as he uses them.

erog

I`ve sharpened knives all my life, with a lot of different stuff, except for electrical shaprpeners. No experience with them. I used a whetrock for a long time, but nowadays, I use a diamond stick, then touch it with a ceramic rod, then strop on leather.

One important trick, is to never let the knife get dull. As you use it, touch it up with the ceramic rod, much like a meatcutter uses a butchers steel to "tetch" up his kinives as he uses them.

My kitchen knives aren't that bad because I use a steel every time I use them. It's more of the pocket knives I've had for a long time and the knives I have are starting to lose their edge because they're a couple years old.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You`re in the right forum, where our resident knifemakers hang out, and they know knives much better than me. I`m sure they will weigh in and give you some really good advice. These men know steel.

SAhunter

I have sharpened knives for years with many different types of sharpeners. I do not have belts like many of the knife makers, so I now use a warthog sharpener with diamond rods, touch it up with the fine steel finishing rods, then strop on leather like Nicodemus. It does a great job and keeps a consistent angle on the blade. Let the experts weigh in on their techiques. I have seen Travis put a fine edge on a dull blade using a belt and he will tell you it about the angle..and other techniques.

ncrobb

Hey, hey.... my pocketknife wasn't dull....but it was a lot sharper when Travis got through with it! :)

Razor Blade

erog, bring your knives and your fiancee with you and i will teach you both how to sharpen and maintain them. We will sharpen them all, and then you will just have to keep them that way. Its easy. I will be in the shop all day sat. Let me know if i can help. Nic has it correct, get them sharp , and all you have to do is keep them that way.Scott

erog

erog, bring your knives and your fiancee with you and i will teach you both how to sharpen and maintain them. We will sharpen them all, and then you will just have to keep them that way. Its easy. I will be in the shop all day sat. Let me know if i can help. Nic has it correct, get them sharp , and all you have to do is keep them that way.Scott

That would be cool. You have a shop? Where would I find your shop?

Anvil Head

Sounds like you let your primary or edge bevel get away from you when the blades got dull. Scott will help you re-establish the primary......it will ultimately be up to you to keep the edge maintained.
Just remember - A dull knife is just a poor excuse for a screwdriver!

Never put a blade up wet, dry carefully. Retained moisture will dull an edge faster on the micor scale of things than cutting on glass.

woodyjim

I was taught that you only sharpen a knife once in a life time.
After you sharpen it you hone it before and after each use