La Cena Más Excelente

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This was indeed a most excellent supper. One of my favorite meals on the planet. Beer-braised smoked chicken lime taquitos with roasted poblanos and red peppers and such, Mexican rice, and guacamole salad. I hurted myself. Plate 1:

taquitos.jpg

ambush80

Suggested serving size of taquitos is 10.

Yesterday I marinated and grilled a London broil, made a salad and served it with rice. I had some marinade and salad left over so I did it again with legs and a half a pork loin.

20231210_173914.jpg
20231210_193920.jpg
Hooked up the neighbors

20231210_194623.jpg
Tonight
20231211_172554.jpg
20231211_183108.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on how it's made for me with the guac, but I'd be all in
I make mine thick and chunky-basically pico de gallo with avacado in it.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Y'all fixing up some top Shelf Eats!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

ambush80

What did you marinate it in? That looks all kinds of good!
I was shooting for a dish called Tiger Tear or Tiger Cries salad. This is one version of it:

In a blender I put some ginger, a few of those little red Thai chilies, some onion, garlic, fish sauce, soy, sugar, lime juice and sesame oil. I poured that on a London Broil in a gallon Ziplock and put it in the fridge overnight. Next day I made the salad/slaw from a shaved unripe mango (I've had it made with green papaya), cilantro, jalapeno seeded and sliced into slabs, fresh basil, red cabbage (I've had it with lettuce but I prefer the cabbage crunch), and slivered green onion. The dressing was basically the marinade; minced Thai chilis, lime juice, julienned shallot, fish sauce, brown sugar (substitute for the palm sugar), a little water, and maybe a shot of soy. I grilled the Steak, sliced it thin against the grain and put it on top of the tossed salad. I put some toasted pine nuts on my neighbor's salad instead of chopped peanuts. They weren't needed.

20231210_193845.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was shooting for a dish called Tiger Tear or Tiger Cries salad. This is one version of it:

In a blender I put some ginger, a few of those little red Thai chilies, some onion, garlic, fish sauce, soy, sugar, lime juice and sesame oil. I poured that on a London Broil in a gallon Ziplock and put it in the fridge overnight. Next day I made the salad/slaw from a shaved unripe mango (I've had it made with green papaya), cilantro, jalapeno seeded and sliced into slabs, fresh basil, red cabbage (I've had it with lettuce but I prefer the cabbage crunch), and slivered green onion. The dressing was basically the marinade; minced Thai chilis, lime juice, julienned shallot, fish sauce, brown sugar (substitute for the palm sugar), a little water, and maybe a shot of soy. I grilled the Steak, sliced it thin against the grain and put it on top of the tossed salad. I put some toasted pine nuts on my neighbor's salad instead of chopped peanuts. They weren't needed.

View attachment 1276101
Looks and sounds delicious. Some of my favorite flavors. I'm not a big fan of the fish sauce, but just the right amount gives southeastern Asian food just the right flavor.

ambush80

Looks and sounds delicious. Some of my favorite flavors. I'm not a big fan of the fish sauce, but just the right amount gives southeastern Asian food just the right flavor.
Yeah, it really gives stuff a particular flavor that's hard to substitute. Just a little does allot of work, like putting anchovies in Italian food. Gives it a "what is that flavor" sumpin' sumpin'. Straight out of the bottle, it stinks like toe cheese:LOL:.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yeah, it really gives stuff a particular flavor that's hard to substitute. Just a little does allot of work, like putting anchovies in Italian food. Gives it a "what is that flavor" sumpin' sumpin'. Straight out of the bottle, it stinks like toe cheese:LOL:.
I agree with both of you that certain dishes "need" that one ingredient that most hate to use, but just don't taste right if not used or substituted. Problem is rotten fish seems to be that ingredient. :bounce: If most folks knew that rotten fish was the main ingredient in "Worshishtashastashire Sauce" they wouldn't use it near as much.

ambush80

I agree with both of you that certain dishes "need" that one ingredient that most hate to use, but just don't taste right if not used or substituted. Problem is rotten fish seems to be that ingredient. :bounce: If most folks knew that rotten fish was the main ingredient in "Worshishtashastashire Sauce" they wouldn't use it near as much.
Rotten, like cheese, vinegar, hot sauce and sour mash? Anchovies, one of the flavoring ingredients in Woooshta-chesterashires is salt packed then preserved in oil, not technically rotted, but your point is spot on.