Learned a few new things this weekend

Waddams

I'm not shy about admitted I've got a lot to learn about hunting. Never had anyone in my family growing up that was a hunter, so I'm pretty much stumbling through it as I go. And while I've got a few hunting buddies now, they are noobs too, don't know much, and seem content to just go without a lot of prep and hope for the best. They also aren't too into talking about the details, they haven't really helped at all with scouting, and aren't participating in bow season. They really seem like they are more interested in guy time in camp, and all that. Nothing wrong with it, but it leaves me without anyone to talk turkey with on details!

That said, I wanted to share the weekends effort that didn't end with meat in the freezer but I'm happy because I feel like I'm closer to the goal. Didn't get in for the morning sit (wife related honey do items) so got to my stand around noon. Managed to get in without spooking anything (I think!), settled in. It was hot, I figured if I was gonna see something, it would be around 3-4 pm, but the spot has had camera activity at all hours, so I figured go ahead and get in early just in case. I'd showered with the scent killer stuff, sprayed down with more, wore rubber boots, etc. I think scent wise I was good to go - and I learned as an aside that when I'm totally scent free, the bugs don't mess with me. I'm usually a bug magnet, but they completely left me alone. Wife and I do a lot of hiking and what not, next time we're getting ready for a hike, I'm going scent free so the bugs leave me alone!

Checked my two cameras, one showed about every other day deer coming by. It's a field corner, various does, a few smaller bucks, and one of the local bruisers. First time seeing him in the section on the area. The other camera, that has been a hot spot - zero pictures. Dropped from over 250+ every two weeks to zero. I waved around in front of the camera, it didn't take a pic. So I messed with it, and it started taking pics. I'm not certain if it was functioning or not. I had a mineral lick poured down (refreshed two weeks ago), they seem to have had their fill of it! Still saw some droppings and spots where they've been nosing through the pine needles, so I figure they didn't go anywhere, they are switching away from the mineral, or the camera wasn't taking pics.

So off to the stand near the hot spot that seemed like it might not be that hot anymore. Did a little googling and found out that deer stop hitting minerals around late September and move to high calory foods. Okay, I'm seeing that in action now. There's still oaks near the stand, and a meadow with all kinds of stuff to browse on. There's a thicket where I thought they were bedding and coming across a more open area to get to the oaks and meadow, so I figured okay, they're probably not gone, just not heading for the camera site. Which turned out to be true.

Had been sitting for about 3 hours, needed to answer natures call, and let her fly from the stand. 30 minutes later, all the sudden a doe started blowing. Must have blown 7 or 8 times. I watched as 3 does came out of the thicket but didn't come my way. They weren't running, tails weren't up, they just non-chalantly walked off in a different direction than me, out of bow range (100-125 yards). They went off and down a little draw that I've been meaning to scout a little more. I've actually been trying to go a bit minimalist in terms of wandering around the area, trying not to leave scent all over and get them antsy. I'm getting plenty of daylight pics, I don't want to change that!

Did a little more reading about deer and I'm figuring they either winded me after peeing but didn't know where I was (I wasn't upwind of them, mostly, but it did swirl a little), or something else got them blowing as they got up for their afternoon jaunt. It being really hot, I'm thinking they probably headed down that way because it's hot and they went to a water source that might be down there (looking at a map and aerials, looks like a stream down that way), and I can see there's at least a lot of stuff to browse on too from a distance.

Next weekend, me and the wife have a rustic weekend out there planned, Friday night to Sunday afternoon. She's gonna stay in camp, grade student papers, and have dinner ready for me when I get back to camp on Saturday. I'm gonna go sit Saturday and Sunday. So, I've now learned they don't stay on minerals strong as we move into fall and they start gorging on as many calories as they can, and when it's hot, try to find cooler drinking and feeding places especially in the afternoon because they'll tend to head for those spots when they get up to go find evening dinner. I don't have a climber, not gonna try to move the stand. Too much disturbance and it's got a really good view of anyway they could go when they come out of that thicket, will be great for rifle season (there's a geographic block behind it that ensures they come out on the side I'm watching). Probably just gonna take a low to ground lounger and find myself a thick spot to hide in close to the path I saw those does head on and see if I can catch them coming by.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It wasn't you or your pee they winded. It was something else. I got the same problem. My deer I've been getting on camera all disappeared. Sooner or later they will be back.

You need to get yourself a portable climbing stand and hunt the transition area with your bow.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Play the long game, be patient. Bowhunting is very much about picking the 'right tree', as then next best one can put you out of your comfortable range. If you've got activity, they'll be back, you just have to put the time in to be there when they do.

I had a setup a few years ago (urban hunting) that I had a ladder stand at the top of a hill and another at the bottom, probably 40 yards apart. I can't tell you how many times I'd pick one, and the deer would all be walking past the other that hunt. I could see each stand from the other, so there was no question when I mis-guessed. On those few times I got it right, I got my shot.

Pay attention to wind, try not to walk across the path the deer will take getting to your stand, and be patient. You will be rewarded.

Horns

Sounds like you are on the right path to seal the deal. Some acorns are starting to fall early due to the drought. Also get scent free like you said and scout out that draw

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I had a setup a few years ago (urban hunting) that I had a ladder stand at the top of a hill and another at the bottom, probably 40 yards apart. I can't tell you how many times I'd pick one, and the deer would all be walking past the other that hunt. I could see each stand from the other, so there was no question when I mis-guessed. On those few times I got it right, I got my shot.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :bounce:

Waddams

You need to get yourself a portable climbing stand and hunt the transition area with your bow.

Thinking about it. Trying to not spend a lot of money this season, though. Was just trolling a few 2nd hand websites for local used climbers.

I can't tell you how many times I'd pick one, and the deer would all be walking past the other that hunt. I could see each stand from the other, so there was no question when I mis-guessed. On those few times I got it right, I got my shot.

There's some of that too, I know! I knew they could come out and go the way they did, I stuck my ladder stand where I did because they come that way too sometimes, and it was less disturbance to get put there.

It's just a matter of time, I think, at this point.

Gone Fishin

They didn't wind your "pee". It doesn't matter how much scent killer spray, ozonics, etc you have, if the deer are down wind they will smell you.

Hunt the wind, and limit you scents. You will still be busted. Nothing you can do.

Also keep in mind: There is lots of harvesting happening right now. Cotton, peanuts, etc. Tons of food just laying on the ground.

Hillbilly stalker

Find the food......kill the deer. Listen for acorns dropping and or squirrels cutting acorns. I found pin oaks and water oaks the deer were feeding on a couple days ago. Found a red oak that was starting to get hit this morning. You need a climber or some sticks and a loc on stand. The deer game changes when the food changes, when pressure is applied and when the leaves drop. It also changes when the boys get a little frisky. It's a game of chess...that's why it's so fun. Good luck !

Jim Boyd

You sound like a very analytical guy, you are going to do well.

The only way to get experience is... well.. by experience.

Best of luck!

Sixes

One thing to always consider is that just because you feel the wind or see leaves moving does not necessarily mean that is where your scent is blowing to.

I know that is hard to understand but thermals will take your scent any and everywhere.

Best bet is to climb high, try your best to play the thermals and not let getting busted bother you too much. It happens to everyone.

Anyone that tells you that they never get busted either aren't around any deer, lying or don't know they have been busted. Not every deer blows, some just crouch down and sneak away.

I watched an older buck cross a gas line and stop on a dime at a hanging orange vest from the night before. He stopped, basically laid down and scooted backwards across the gasline from where he came from. He never made a noise, just melted back into the woods.

F.A.R.R.

Keep going out as much as you can with the bow and by the time gun season opens you should have it figured out where they will be-getting it to all come together for the right bow shot can be tuff.

Try to find a white oak tree (or several in an area) that are dropping good and you will be in deer.

Agree a lock on stand and stick ladder make it much easier to change your spots. Climber is nice too-but they sure make you sweat in the early part of the season.

Since the bugs love you —-spend a few bucks on a thermocell and trust me you won’t look back.

oldfella1962

Find the food......kill the deer. Listen for acorns dropping and or squirrels cutting acorns. I found pin oaks and water oaks the deer were feeding on a couple days ago. Found a red oak that was starting to get hit this morning. You need a climber or some sticks and a loc on stand. The deer game changes when the food changes, when pressure is applied and when the leaves drop. It also changes when the boys get a little frisky. It's a game of chess...that's why it's so fun. Good luck !

oldfella1962

totally agree about acorns and squirrels. Where I hunt there are no farms or crops so acorns are the big food source. Find the squirrels and you find the deer. It might sound too simple but it works.

shdw633

I am going to go a different school of thought for you on this and take it back old school. Before you move your stands all over the place I highly recommend that you try getting a chair or something like a Dead Ringer Hammock stand and maybe some ground blind, doesn't have to be a fancy one, just some mesh netting to hide some of the squirming that hunters do sometimes. Take that combination out to the woods and just sit with the wind in your face in areas you think you may see something. As much as your hunting right now you are also getting information for the gun season. Don't move your stands all over the place, get basic and just sit on the ground. Believe it or not that use to be the only way you could hunt a deer back in the day. The biggest benefit is the deer don't have any idea you are there. You can be more mobile until you get an idea of where you want to put a stand, kind of the measure twice, cut once mentality. Even if you hunt the area you have your stand in right now you might be surprised to watch the deer come out and stare at your stand while you are on the ground getting ready to take a shot!! One of the best late season tactics I do is to hunt on the ground behind my permanent stands and catch the deer that are walking behind my stand all the time. Get camoed up, get downwind and put yourself on the ground and hunt like that for a little bit and you might be surprised at the results. Good luck this season.

Turpentine

The most difficult learning curve for me in hunting was trusting my instincts and the knowledge I gained each season that leads to success. give yourself some credit!! trust in your spot and do not move. Be a tree....
Keep going and keep learning.

When you get agrivated and decided to move spots or leave and you spook your first buck. You have already figured it out.

Just be patient and trust yourself.

Plus you don't always have to hunt from a stand. Stalk, still hunt, get into the thick stuff. Get on all fours and spend a few hours crawling just to see it from their perspective.

Take off running threw the woods spook a couple, watch them take off and then stop and look at you presenting them selves for a perfect shot. (Don't take the shot) just observe.

Don't be afaid to try different things and find out what you are best at.

I was only tought four things.
1. Heel first
2.hunt in the thickest patch possible
3. Doe urine stinks
4. Be ? about your target!!!

That is it. Sink or swim.
I have learned (learning) everything else from the ground up.
I have had far more success being a deer then I have being a Hunter.
I know it's less wisdom then the old timers but maybe something from here might help along the way.

Trust your gut and have faith in yourself.

No luck needed, YOU got this!

bany

That was a good hunt for ya. I suspect you’ll learn some more this weekend. I’m about full circle at this stage in life. Started when I was 12, seen all the hunting shows really turn into advertising gimmicks that I will not sit through. Now I steer away from most every thing thought to be necessary nowadays. The beauty of deer hunting is being there and being there the deer will teach you.

Waddams

Thank you for all the responses and advice! Not going to try to quote everything to respond to, just going to say that I have been thinking about getting a low lounger chair I could carry with me and just sit in various places. A few of the places where I think they might be cooling it to get out of the heat actually have some spots where you could sit on the ground, but still have elevated view of the draws/ravines.

I've actually stomped around about 50% of this particular area of woods. There are game trails that kind of criss cross everywhere. It's not near any kind of agriculture. There are also various thickets, thick pine stands, and then more open forest floor with lots of ground growth, there a few open meadows, and also areas where the trees are thicker and there's not much ground growth. Being it's so dry, I think the best water spots are probably at the edge of a lake.

My plan for this weekend is to go sit the stand in the morning and see if I can catch one headed to bed down for the day, around 10 or 10:30am, go wander around the draws where it's shadier and there's access to water, and if I find a spot where there's sign their coming to drink, or have an afternoon snack, sit there and wait for them to get up after riding out the afternoon heat. If nothing else, I can sit in a cooler spot myself!

ASH556

My experience has been human pee doesn't bother deer one bit. If anything, especially as the rut starts I've seen it be an attractant.

Latest posts