Let's see your Kayak trailer...

Geffellz18

here is mine, I just finished it right before the kayak fishing symposium in perry. it can haul 6 yaks and gear or 8 yaks or more if I put my Malone stax on top LOL I can remove the rack with 4 bolts and be back to just my utility trailer. I like it :bounce:

That's some serious yak stackin feral. Looks great!

24tesla

Here is my recent build.

Needed a way to get multiple yaks to and from the water, since the roof of my Saturn Vue is limited in space. :huh:

Anyway, I had an old fiberglass boat that was unused, and the rusted trailer behind my house. (Boat was neglected for too long in the weather, and was in rough shape when it was given to me years before. Needed work and I just never had a lot of time, nor desire to do it.) I sold the boat sans trailer. Drug the trailer into my shop. One wheel was seized, and both tires were rotten. I stripped the bunk supports off, and the light mounts, (Should have taken a pic before but I forgot, so pic 1 is it in the shop after all the bunk supports and light mounts were removed)

trailer1_zps78c6e10d.jpg

Spent a few nights after work in the shop with a drill motor and wire wheel, and then moved to a 3M Paint and Rust stripper wheel. This proved to be the best method to strip it down. Once I had it pretty clean, I brushed the entire thing in OSPHO and let her sit. Eventually I got back on it and sanded it smooth. Welded a new 3x3 section between the back and middle of the trailer for more support and a mounting point for my rear tree.

trailer2_zps78d0b0d7.jpg

trailer4_zpscb561899.jpg

trailer5_zpsa4e663ed.jpg

390_zps5525e39b.jpg

Used Dupli-Color Filler primer, Dupli-Color Jet Black Base coat, and Dupli-Color High Gloss clear. I sprayed the underside of both fenders and the inside of the C-Channel of the frame, as well as the underside of the frame in Truck Bed Bedliner spray. Also ordered new hubs and bearings, as well as new wheels and tires.

393_zps62526d94.jpg

394_zps8a14b6bf.jpg

Next I built trees from 2x2 with 1x1 welded at angles. Also welded chain link to the bottom of each branch. This made for great anchor points for straps, and make it where if we need to haul more than 4 total yaks, it can be done easy, by rolling them to the sides, and tie into the anchor points.
The trees were welded onto 1/2 inch plate, and double u-bolted to the frame of the trailer. I added a 1/2 plate with u-bolts up front for tie downs, as well as u-bolts to the rear of the frame for tie downs. 1x1 brace up front on 1/8" plate, and a brace between trees on 1/8" plate. All bolted into place. This means I can take this trailer apart and it would take up very little room if needed. (All but the long front beam will pretty much fit against a wall in one of my walk in closets.)

388_zps30bd189c.jpg

389_zps50d8b2f2.jpg

401_zps2a55d302.jpg

406_zps3bf6a8ec.jpg

Everything is Wire Loomed, and added the LED lights all the way around. New chains, as well as new guts for the tongue. Added a spare, and used split pipe insulation on each branch, and high density foam from my kydex press foam against the main posts. The cheap pipe foam did not last long at all, so I have ordered 36" rack pads from ACK.com which will arrive today. Pics show the test fitting with my old Prism (Red) we keep as a spare for guests, and my 12 year old daughters Pelican (Orange/Yellow) The green ones in the other pic below are my Cuda 14 (Limon), and the wife's Hurricane Skimmer 116 White and Wasabi Green). Hauls all we need so far, and never know it is behind you.

489_zps28450be7.jpg

trailer3_zps8c4625a5.jpg

Latest posts