Lost a deer

across the river

I think point is, it won't be at that temp...

Didn't take the time read through, huh?

The original post at 6pm said "Shot a doe at 400 this evening tracked her about 200 yards it's 35 degrees will she be ok if I find her in the morning pretty sure I gut shot her" Unless he was hunting in South America near or South of the equator and meant 35 degrees Celsisus, which would be 95F, I think it would be at that temp, or even colder between the time he made the post and the next morning.

Tight Lines

Didn't take the time read through, huh?

The original post at 6pm said "Shot a doe at 400 this evening tracked her about 200 yards it's 35 degrees will she be ok if I find her in the morning pretty sure I gut shot her" Unless he was hunting in South America near or South of the equator and meant 35 degrees Celsisus, which would be 95F, I think it would be at that temp, or even colder between the time he made the post and the next morning.

I read it. A deer is 101.5 degrees. Assuming a normal mature doe, lets say she was 120 lbs. For that deer to reach the ambient air temperature would take that body of 120 lbs. to be reduced in temperature by free conduction (air moved by wind) to drop 66.5 degrees. All the while insulated by the ground (which is probably 50 degrees) and the hide which is a great insulator. So the point is that it would still take that deer several hours to reach 35 degrees minimum. This is a method game wardens use by the way to determine time of death...because you can't gut a deer and hang it and have it cool any faster than the laws of thermodynamics unless you have a cooler or a blast freezer, which still follow the laws of thermodynamics except now you have a much great delta in temperature and forced convection vs. free convection and conduction from the ground.

across the river

I read it. A deer is 101.5 degrees. Assuming a normal mature doe, lets say she was 120 lbs. For that deer to reach the ambient air temperature would take that body of 120 lbs. to be reduced in temperature by free conduction (air moved by wind) to drop 66.5 degrees. All the while insulated by the ground (which is probably 50 degrees) and the hide which is a great insulator. So the point is that it would still take that deer several hours to reach 35 degrees minimum. This is a method game wardens use by the way to determine time of death...because you can't gut a deer and hang it and have it cool any faster than the laws of thermodynamics unless you have a cooler or a blast freezer, which still follow the laws of thermodynamics except now you have a much great delta in temperature and forced convection vs. free convection and conduction from the ground.

Thank you Bill Nye. The question was, will the meat be good? If you don't think the meat on a doe that laid overnight in 35F or less temperatures will be ay good, just say it won't be good. Could some of it spoil, possibly, but he is a big boy, so he or his processor, or whomever cleans it should be able to tell. In most all situations, will all, or the overwhelming majority of the meat that sat overnight at or below freezing temperatures ,be good? In my experience, and apparently that of many other, yes. Unless like many others have already mentioned, the coyotes eat on him, or part of it was shot up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Bill Nye. The question was, will the meat be good? If you don't think the meat on a doe that laid overnight in 35F or less temperatures will be ay good, just say it won't be good. Could some of it spoil, possibly, but he is a big boy, so he or his processor, or whomever cleans it should be able to tell. In most all situations, will all, or the overwhelming majority of the meat that sat overnight at or below freezing temperatures ,be good? In my experience, and apparently that of many other, yes. Unless like many others have already mentioned, the coyotes eat on him, or part of it was shot up.
Yep. I think a deer that lays overnight in <35 temps is going to be mostly good. You might lose the tenderloins and some meat around the ball joints, but it's going to be mostly fine.

BDD

Growing up, if you shot it and didn't find it in time we still processed it into dog food. Cut it up boil it drain it, let it dry and but it in a paper bag in the frig. It will last for a month or more, I mix it with dry and they love it.

Tight Lines

That was seriously funny. The best answer I could give is it depends. How long did it live? Gut shot? Did it bed down or is it laid out? I'd say that 35 isn't bad but that it's marginal depending on other factors and you'll probably lose some meat. If the yotes didn't get to it first...