MADISON COUNTY

jbird1

We have had a good pre-rut. I have watched several younger bucks chasing for the last 2 weeks. I think we are getting into the breeding period now and the more mature bucks are getting involved. I think that next week and the week after are the 2 best weeks for where I hunt. The 4.5 and 5.5 year old bucks I have been fortunate enough to see and sometimes take have come during that 2 week period.

Yep. I usually see a great buck or two in the back of pickup trucks at the gas stations in Comer and Danielsville around Thanksgiving.

Esau

My 2 best ever were both killed on November 26th.

jbird1

It's interesting that the GON rut map has a date line that runs right in between where I hunt and just to the North in Madison county. It's uncanny...and accurate!

Esau

A lot of people think it changes from year to year. From what I have seen it is pretty consistent. The weather may make one day a little better than the next, but the timing is pretty much the same. I will certainly be hunting on the 26th.

Souhternhunter17

My future in laws have some property in northern Madison Co. that I hunt some but haven't much since bow season this year. I killed a nice 7 a few years back on November 25th chasing does. My future pa in law has been hunting several times the past week and he has seen young bucks working scrapes and sparring but not any chasing yet- and there are tons of does on that property. I tend to think the peak is a little later than the GON map predicts in that area of Madison Co.

Lshaw97

The woods are awake. The past couple sits I’ve seen bucks chasing does. Yearlings and 2.5s, no big boys yet

Esau

No whoppers for me. I shot a doe with the muzzle loader and an older 7 point at the end of November. I have meat in the freezer and a fun time in the woods. I am hunting ducks and squirrels now and scouting for next year. We will be moving stands, cutting lanes and checking cameras to see what is out there. I love this stuff.

the Lackster

My future in laws have some property in northern Madison Co. that I hunt some but haven't much since bow season this year. I killed a nice 7 a few years back on November 25th chasing does. My future pa in law has been hunting several times the past week and he has seen young bucks working scrapes and sparring but not any chasing yet- and there are tons of does on that property. I tend to think the peak is a little later than the GON map predicts in that area of Madison Co.
Lived and hunted madison county my whole life. As far as rut action i would take 5 days of thanksgiving week.

Kootie

162 Acre farm in Madison Co.
We had a great year.....seen more deer this year than years past. Great rut for us from about the second week in November until the end of the month. The ladies (wife and DIL) killed an eight pointer each. Two mature shooter bucks were seen but no shots presented themselves. Looking forward to next year.
Other notes:
Probably the least amount of shooting by neighbors in years
No hogs ever seen on our property
Turkeys seem to be disappearing
Had poacher and DNR (Ryan) was excellent at responding
We haven't shot a doe in three years and numbers seem up