Management Plan

The Fever

Hey guys. My father and I were put in charge of writing up a management plan for our swamps and ponds we own. Here is a copy I will be presenting the hunting committee soon. Feel free to tell me what yall think I missed or forgot.

Duck Management Plan

Goals: To maintain a healthy population of ducks while being able to harvest game in a balanced manner.

Management steps:

1) Ensure the availability of habitat.(includes the following)
-Cover
-Nesting sits
-Food sources

Cover is an important step to making the ducks feel safe and comfortable with staying in the Duck Pond. The ducks seem to favor the inner circle of the pond mainly due to the amount of water plants and grasses that have grown up and trees that are leaning that provide a perch. These areas need to remain and continue to be protected. The addition of other safe zones for ducks is essential. The Goose Pond would be a good place for this. The addition of a well to flood the Goose pond would provide this safe haven for ducks. Recently a new pond was dug near the trash cans. This area as already held ducks and in years to come will provide a new safe haven or place to hunt.

It is apparent that Wood Ducks are the most common resident to our pond. In years past there have been duck boxes provided for their use however they are in need of attention. Some are broken others need to be cleaned out. The repair of these old boxes and the addition of new boxes is vital for the Wood Duck population to reproduce and become resident ducks furthering the amount of game birds seen during the season. The Duck Pond is roughly 8 acres total. The Alabama Wildlife Federation recommends around 3 to 5 nesting sits per acre. At the three nesting site minimum would put us at 24 nesting boxes for the Duck Pond. Our current count is around 5 or 6. The goal of 24 nesting boxes could be acquired with the addition of 3-5 boxes added each year.

With the addition of the well flowing, we can rely on the nearby oaks and gum trees to provide seed and acorn for the ducks. However oak trees do not produce at the constant rate annually and not all species of ducks rely on acorns as a food substance. According to the Alabama Wildlife Federation the Duck Pond falls into the category of a beaver pond. They recommend that in late March to early June that the edges of the pond are drained to allow the natural water grasses to grow. These plants provide cover for aquatic insects, as well as producing seed with a high protein content. This is vital for the ducks if our oak trees do not produce, and also if we want to attract other species of ducks.

2) Selective harvesting of game birds.(includes the following)
-limiting shooting days and times
-properly recording the harvest record.

It is important to limit the use of the Duck Pond. The Alabama Wildlife Federation recommends for beaver ponds to be hunted only on mornings and only 1-2 times a week. This gives the birds time to adjust to the hunting pressure and not be driven away.

Just like in deer hunting at The Bluff we need to have a harvest record for duck hunting. This need to include amount of ducks shot, time of harvest, species, date, temperature. Over the years this data will be critical in the adjustment of the management plans.

Last edited:

The Fever

c'mon guys....never been around a group of guys who dont have opinions...

Wishin I was Fishin

Hunting committee? Is this here in Ga? Why?

You might want to explain how you plan on exposing the edges of the pond to allow for growth. It usually won't happen correctly on its own so I assume you'll be installing a clemson leveler or flashboard riser to control the water level. If you do that you could go as far as planting millet, corn, rice, etc. for the ducks also.

Other than that it looks okay I guess... Like I said I don't fully understand the purpose of it.

Larry Young Jr

What other ducks do you get during the season. Do you get Mallards. If so I'd work on keep them around during nesting time. You might not want to hunt it for a year.
Larry

across the river

What other ducks do you get during the season. Do you get Mallards. If so I'd work on keep them around during nesting time. You might not want to hunt it for a year.
Larry

Mallards don't nest in GA unless they are of the feral variety. If you want those around it is just easier to get them from the local park or feed and seed store.

Mark K

Banned
"Hey guys. My father and I were put in charge of writing up a management plan for our swamps and ponds we own."

Why is someone requiring that you come up with a management plan on swamps and ponds that you own??

Unless you have food - you won't have ducks. You might have a roost pond but you want to hunt it in the AM you'll need food!!

I'm hoping your somewhere near a river or some other area of navigation for the ducks - like a FLYWAY!!

It also helps if there are other hunters around that are hunting as well to keep the birds from finding totally unpressured areas.

I hope you have a rather large population of Woodducks!!!

Good Luck!!