Many hens together today

FootLongDawg

Was driving down a paved road yesterday afternoon when I came upon a single hen crossing the road. She wanted to go back to the left from which she came, but after much indecision going left, then right several times she went on across the road. By this time I was completely stopped wanting her to make up her mind. When I looked back to the left, I counted around 12 birds, not so much as a jake amoung them. I thought this time of the year, they were somewhat split up, nesting and such. This was like you see them during deer season, big flocks of hens roaming around.

Last edited:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’ve been getting pics of up to 10 hens together. Sometimes they are alone. Sometimes there’s 3 gobblers with them. Like antharper said, the gobblers aren’t far away even if they aren’t in the picture. I’ve even got pics of the 3 gobblers alone this week.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My dad just called me and had been watching 6 gobblers strut in a field for 30 minutes and not a hen in sight , who knows

chrislibby88

Saw a group of 6 birds yesterday morning truck scouting. Some were jakes, saw one medium length beard, and a few looked like hens, or very juvenile jakes maybe, another truck busted them up before I could ID them all. Saw a lone hen in the same area this morning, and heard a group of birds gobbling, sounded like at least two jakes and possibly one mature bird, they were pretty far so it was hard to tell. They have all the gates locked except a few that the rednecks have busted down, so I can only listen from the main roads and a few spots where the gates are down.

buckpasser

Was driving down a paved road yesterday afternoon when I came upon a single hen crossing the road. She wanted to go back to the left from which she came, but after much indecision going left, then right several times she went on across the road. By this time I was completely stopped wanting her to make up her mind. When I looked back to the left, I counted around 12 birds, not so much as a jake amoung them. I thought this time of the year, they were somewhat split up, nesting and such. This was like you see them during deer season, big flocks of hens roaming around.

What county?

Big7

The Oracle
Charlie Elliott and Clybel stay tore up with them.
Only problem is there is a private tract on the left going in. (Charlie Elliott)

After the first few days, after they been called to death and heard a few shotgun shells go off, that's where they go. You can drive right up to the line and they won't even flush.

Almost like they know you can't shoot them on that parcel. ?

I'm probably going to hunt Clybel. That's far enough from that private land and I've see them there too just out riding around looking for hunting and fishing spots and I saved a lot of way points. There are some houses in there and you better be able to read a map. It gets quirky real quick on the WMA. boundary lines.