Marlin 336 stock

leroy

Who would think they would be in short supply. Broke mine several years ago but put it in back of safe and forgot about it was thinking I would put new one on it and can't find one anywhere, any suggestions

hayseed_theology

eBay is your friend.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

not sure which one you broke...the Barrel band forend is $59.95 the pistol grip buttstock starts at $79.95

Two good suggestions here. I would normally suggest checking Numrich, but they appear to be out

I put a set of Boyd's stocks on my Marlin a little while back. They have the traditional walnut, but that's not the route I went. I chose the pepper laminate with a scale pattern instead of checkering. Came out great.

Attachments

• MarlinFinal1.jpg
    MarlinFinal1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 79
  • MarlinFinal2.jpg
    MarlinFinal2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 82
  • MarlinFinal3.jpg
    MarlinFinal3.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 81
  • MarlinFinal4.jpg
    MarlinFinal4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 78
  • MarlinFinal5.jpg
    MarlinFinal5.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 73

Dub

Two good suggestions here. I would normally suggest checking Numrich, but they appear to be out

I put a set of Boyd's stocks on my Marlin a little while back. They have the traditional walnut, but that's not the route I went. I chose the pepper laminate with a scale pattern instead of checkering. Came out great.

Outstanding!!!!!

leroy

Received mine today, did you have to modify stock to fit? Unfortunately my forearm came in damaged.

hayseed_theology

Received mine today, did you have to modify stock to fit? Unfortunately my forearm came in damaged.

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember that it required a little bit of fitting. You could use a small chisel or an facto knife to open up around the tang. Here is my write up on it from my Lever Gun Project thread. Bummer that the forearm was damaged.

7/16/17 Update #1

Three months after receiving the stocks, I finally had a few hours to put them on the gun. Before the stocks, I swapped out the the Weaver Scout Rail for the longer XS Sights Lever Rail. Some folks have issues with alignment, but my installation was about as simple as they come. I like the fact that it offers multiple optic mounting locations.

The Boyd's forend went on pretty easily. It is very snug and doesn't rattle like my factory one did. The buttstock took some fitting. I'd say about an hour and a half of slowly filing and chiseling by hand then test fitting. A Dremel is a much faster way... to ruin a new stock. Patience is your friend.

The Boyd's stocks are designed to fit various years and models of Marlin lever actions, so a little bit of finish inletting and less than perfect alignment is to be expected. The fit is snug, but the wood is a bit proud on the receiver and the tang. This gun isn't a show piece, so I'm not terribly worried about it. But, I wouldn't buy a factory gun with those tolerances. I could shave the wood down, but then I have to refinish everything. So, I will leave it for now.

I ordered the stock with Boyd's laser cut checkering. The particular style of checkering I chose was a scale pattern. Combined with the pepper laminate stock color, it is not your traditional lever gun furniture, but I am pleased with it.

Pics of the new stocks and lever rail.

ucfireman

Did y'all reblue your guns or were they in that good of shape?
Leroy and Hayseed yalls look good, may do a 30-30 I got and see what happens.
Was there a lot of fitting to do?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Those are some sharp looking rifles guys. Got me to thinking about my old Marlin 30A.

hayseed_theology

Did y'all reblue your guns or were they in that good of shape?
Leroy and Hayseed yalls look good, may do a 30-30 I got and see what happens.
Was there a lot of fitting to do?

That's the original finish on mine. I had just wiped it down with a light coat of rust preventive, so that covers some of the imperfections. You can't tell it but the bluing is worn off the lever on the edges. There is some freckling on the receiver. All the typical stuff. It just doesn't show up in the pics. It's actually more of my "all-weather" gun.

Reactions: Dub

ucfireman

A number of years ago my .35 had some surface rust. Not knowing any better I used steel wool to get the rust off. It took off the bluing too. Left a gray steel look. I keep it oiled and haven't had any more rust issues.
I think it looks cool in the gray so I'm leaving it.

leroy

That's the original finish on mine. I had just wiped it down with a light coat of rust preventive, so that covers some of the imperfections. You can't tell it but the bluing is worn off the lever on the edges. There is some freckling on the receiver. All the typical stuff. It just doesn't show up in the pics. It's actually more of my "all-weather" gun.

Same here, the stock comes with a ear that had to be taken off each side on the end, and had to widen mine out some to fit, wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Forearm fit perfect with no fitting.

leroy

Talked to a gun trader friend that said the marlin levers were hot right now if you can find one, said he seen 30/30 sold at pawn shop recently for $650, .35 were higher and said .444 was close to 1000.00?

ucfireman

Stupid prices. I paid 100 for mine from my dads FF friend in 1991 or 92. First gun I ever bought. I used to think 300-400 was high.
My father has 2 older Marlin 336 in 3030, He doesn't shoot or hunt, Don't know why he bought them. I will probably buy 1 or both and restock it. They have some surface rust but shoot well so.

simpleman30

A couple of years ago, I traded a coworker a Ruger LCP 380 pistol for his Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. The stock was cracked and had been repaired with screws and wood putty. It doesn't look the greatest but it's solid. I killed 2 deer with it this year and it's probably my favorite rifle right now. I go back and forth about replacing the stock and fore end, but can't bring myself to do it just yet..35 rem.JPG