Marlin 336y Youth Model 30-30... or another rifle to get the job done?

simpleman30

Looking for recommendations on a youth model rifle for my 3 sons to use deer hunting as they grow into full size rifles. It goes without saying that most any rifle is hard to come by these days at a traditional price, but I've located a Marlin 336Y youth model in 30-30 that I'm willing to pay asking price for. I wouldn't be opposed to a single shot or bolt action .223 or .300 BO, as that matches the ammo I have. Not really wanting to go with a caliber I don't currently own. My sons are 6, 3, and 4 months old, so we'll be using this rifle for the next 10+ years. Lord help us if mama wants to try for a girl...

Tight Lines

Looking for recommendations on a youth model rifle for my 3 sons to use deer hunting as they grow into full size rifles. It goes without saying that most any rifle is hard to come by these days at a traditional price, but I've located a Marlin 336Y youth model in 30-30 that I'm willing to pay asking price for. I wouldn't be opposed to a single shot or bolt action .223 or .300 BO, as that matches the ammo I have. Not really wanting to go with a caliber I don't currently own. My sons are 6, 3, and 4 months old, so we'll be using this rifle for the next 10+ years. Lord help us if mama wants to try for a girl...

I've not ever handled the youth model of a 336, and what I've done is get them shooting a .22 Cricket and once they can handle that, a .22 BLR, and then start hunting with an AR (short stock), and then a youth Tikka that is a full size rifle with a spacer in the stock...

I also am on the other end of a lot of parents today...if they can't handle the gun safely and hold it on their own, I don't think they are big enough to hunt...and I also hate spending money on youth weapons or cutting down stocks...hence the first rifle was the cheap Cricket...

simpleman30

I've not ever handled the youth model of a 336, and what I've done is get them shooting a .22 Cricket and once they can handle that, a .22 BLR, and then start hunting with an AR (short stock), and then a youth Tikka that is a full size rifle with a spacer in the stock...

I also am on the other end of a lot of parents today...if they can't handle the gun safely and hold it on their own, I don't think they are big enough to hunt...and I also hate spending money on youth weapons or cutting down stocks...hence the first rifle was the cheap Cricket...
When it comes to learning to shoot, I want to do it different than how I was taught but similar to what you're saying. I want them to learn the fundamentals and the right way with a rifle that they can handle, but I also want them to be able to know how and what to do with any long gun... like I was brought up to do. My grandpa started me rabbit hunting with his beagles on a over/under .410. Then he upgraded me to his Browning A5 running deer. Somewhere in the mix he let me still-hunt with his 6mm bolt action rifle. In his later years he told me that if he had to do it over again, he would've never given me a shotgun until I mastered that 6mm.

Tight Lines

When it comes to learning to shoot, I want to do it different than how I was taught but similar to what you're saying. I want them to learn the fundamentals and the right way with a rifle that they can handle, but I also want them to be able to know how and what to do with any long gun... like I was brought up to do. My grandpa started me rabbit hunting with his beagles on a over/under .410. Then he upgraded me to his Browning A5 running deer. Somewhere in the mix he let me still-hunt with his 6mm bolt action rifle. In his later years he told me that if he had to do it over again, he would've never given me a shotgun until I mastered that 6mm.

Makes sense...my youngest is just a small kid, so his deer rifle is still just too big to handle...but he has been whacking them with his AR the past few years no problem...

If you go that route, or 5.56/.223 look at the TUI ammo from Fort Scott Munitions. It is deadly on deer. None of his have gone more than 40-50 yards. Downside is, there are no blood trails. So if you are hunting in thick stuff, you gotta pay attention to where the deer goes...

Ray357

AWOL
Nothing wrong with the rifle if that's what you want. IMO a .30-30 recoils a bit much for younger kids. Withe the ammo shortage I guess you just got to do what you can. Rifle no good without ammo

Reactions: Dub

simpleman30

Makes sense...my youngest is just a small kid, so his deer rifle is still just too big to handle...but he has been whacking them with his AR the past few years no problem...

If you go that route, or 5.56/.223 look at the TUI ammo from Fort Scott Munitions. It is deadly on deer. None of his have gone more than 40-50 yards. Downside is, there are no blood trails. So if you are hunting in thick stuff, you gotta pay attention to where the deer goes...

I think we'll be OK regardless of what they're shooting. We still have some deer hounds on the yard and a couple of Labs to put on a blood trail or fresh track if we need to.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If momma presents you with a sweet little girl,break out the can of pink spray paint,tape up the metal parts,and feminize that rifle. You've got plenty of time to plan.

Rich M

I just saw the ammo you have statement.

The light recoiling round are great. I like 357 mag and 350 Legend rifles the best due to bullet weight and diameter.

dwbarg

7mm-08 in a youth model. My daughter got one at 14 and used reduced recoil to start out with. Shes 20 now and still uses that Marlin bolt action. Sorry can't remember the model

Robust Redhorse

In my experience a 336 Youth 30-30 kicks a little too much.

Id'd buy a youth 300 BO as a first choice, but a youth 223 will get the job done, if you buy big game bullets.

bighonkinjeep

The what caliber for kids question is obsolete.
As long as you find something that fits them then you can go ahead and get them any "big boy" or standard deer caliber that you wish. The Ruger American Compacts are pretty sweet for off the shelf kid (and adult) friendly rigs.
Handloading with H4895 (Hodgdon lists the formula for reduced recoil loads to be used ONLY with H4895. Basically it's 60% of the maximum load LISTED for the particular load/bullet/cartridge combination to start and work up slowly. ) and/or factory "reduced recoil" ammunition (a couple like Remington "managed recoil" claim 50% recoil reduction) has made the "What caliber for kids" question obsolete. Also much less muzzle blast and though not exactly quiet,much less noise.
My Grandkids, Nieces, Nephews will go through 50 rounds of "reduced" .308 handloaded with 125gr bullets and a reduced charge H4895 in a range session and ask "Got any more ammo Pop?". I load them a fair amount above the absolute minimum, and it still recoils less than a standard .243 and still hammers deer. Heck I've gotten where I like to shoot them myself. Here's one of the older nephew at age 12 with his first deer using reduced handloads in .308 (125grSST and H4895)
Andrew first buck big pic.jpg
and another Nephew at age 8 with his first buck using factory Hornady "custom lite" ammo in .243 (87grSST). He also took his first deer, a doe at 7 with the same load.
gus's 1st buck 4 wheeler.jpg

Good luck with whatever you decide, and thanks for passing the outdoors on to the kids
PS, Bet there isn't much that would make their chests swell up like shooting "Daddys" rifle :)

Last edited:

lonewolf247

Right now at their ages, a .22LR, with a low power scope, would be about the best training tool, IMO.

As far as youth hunting rifles, I personally wouldn’t start my son quite that young on a 30-30. I’d think .223 maybe at age 7, then hand that rifle down when the middle child reaches that age. Buy a .243, 30-30, or 7mm-08, or similar for the oldest child at that time. And so on, for the youngest when his time comes.

Practice now with .22LR and a riflescope, and get all of them shooting as young as your comfortable with.

common man

If you can still find it remington makes a 125 grain managed recoil that is very pleasant to shoot for a kid in 30-30. Could let them practice a bunch with that and then slip the 150 grain in at game time.

2nd choice I would say a short bolt action in 7.62x 39.

3rd choice if you have a muzzleloader work up a light load like 40-50 grains and keep shots close.

common man

A muzzleloader might be your best option actually single shot good for kids, control recoil by experimenting with powder, very reasonable at entry level CVA wolf etc around $200. Doesnt require ffl with shipment, just order online shipped to your house.

Dub

A scoped .22lr bolt action for lots of practice.

A scoped youth model bolt action in .243 for lots of hunting and practice.

Somewhere along the line one of the youth model sized Henry .22lr lever action can be a pile of fun, too.....especially shooting sporting clays disks, steel spinners and reactive targets.

menhadenman

Your mind is in the right place getting them set up. I'm just coming out of your realm (now 7, 9, 11 year olds) and they've all shot 22LR since maybe 4 years old (a Savage Rascal). I also have a lot of options in the safe for them. In my experience these are the most important factors:

- Something they like and want to get behind
- Something that fits so they don't develop bad form
- Something that doesn't bark so they don't become gun shy
- Something that is cheap to shoot so they can get trigger time in
- Something that has good bullet selection for hunting in different situations

My daughter (11) is now shooting a Howa in 6.5 G and youth stock. Great gun and she's 2 animals down with only 2 bullets. But if you don't reload I'd tend to go another route.

My middle boy (9) just got a 243 from Santa, a Ruger American "compact." Proven killer, easy to handle, common ammo, and mild report. I reload so easy to get trigger time in. He's also got animals down with the 6.5G (one shot) and a crossbow (one shot).

My youngest boy (7) is now shooting a 223 Savage Axis with the adjustable stock. He's the odd one out being left-handed. If you go 223, I'd look for a 1-7" twist if possible (can stabilize up to 80 gr bullets) and definitely no less than 1-9"(maybe 69 gr bullets).

The kids also shoot a 300 BLK from time to time - I have a can on that one so it's a real pleasure to shoot. But it doesn't have the distance and ammo availability compared to the 223 and 243.

The 223 might be my first choice if I only had to pick one. A suppressor is also a great addition. There's a Savage combo with a Vortext scope and adjustable stock that could fit the bill.

Good luck - your kids will appreciate having a father that brought them into shooting sports once you are long gone. There are a lot of great options.