Met Karen on Lake Lanier yesterday

treadwell

This! I sure don't mind folks fishing my dock.
But when they anchor & start bait fishing with minners , I go get my labs & start throwing a bumper..works every time:p:oops:

What has fishing with minnows got to do with it? You acting like that to mess up someone's fishing just doesn't make sense. I would call the game warden instantly, as Ga law prohibits interference with sportsman enjoying the outdoors. (Google search...people getting fined for harassing outdoorsman). Spoiler alert......you may own the dock, BUT, you don't own the water or the fish that swim around your dock.

hawkeye123

What has fishing with minnows got to do with it? You acting like that to mess up someone's fishing just doesn't make sense. I would call the game warden instantly, as Ga law prohibits interference with sportsman enjoying the outdoors. (Google search...people getting fined for harassing outdoorsman). Spoiler alert......you may own the dock, BUT, you don't own the water or the fish that swim around your dock.[/QUOTE
Tongue is in my cheek, it was a joke, fish w/ minners all the time, don't anchor off anybody's dock and catch 50 fish however that's common courtesy

Dr. Strangelove

Get checked within a hundred feet of a dock, don't pay them what they deem is the proper amount of respect and I'll bet some will write that ticket. Some of them can't get enough humbling out of a person and some of them deserve no respect but you gotta treat all of them with kid gloves even when they are acting a fool. Most are very cordial and professional and do deserve respect but occasionally you come across one who just ain't fit to deal with people...and you best respect that one as much as possible or your going to have a bad day.

I flagged a couple of wardens down in the Oconee National Forest one day to ask simple question, I don't even recall what it was now.

One guy looked about ready to retire and the other, it must have been his first day. The young guy was nothing but attitude. I though he and my buddy were about to get into it physically, finally the older warden said "You guys have a good day and good luck" and tells the new guy to drive. Young guy was nothing but mouth and attitude, I hope he learned something from the older guy before he retired.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I flagged a couple of wardens down in the Oconee National Forest one day to ask simple question, I don't even recall what it was now.

One guy looked about ready to retire and the other, it must have been his first day. The young guy was nothing but attitude. I though he and my buddy were about to get into it physically, finally the older warden said "You guys have a good day and good luck" and tells the new guy to drive. Young guy was nothing but mouth and attitude, I hope he learned something from the older guy before he retired.

I readily admit I have a problem with authority figures and, knowing this, go out of my way to avoid having any contact with them. In my experience Georgia game wardens are pretty decent sorts for the most part, much better than the average Florida warden and miles better than federal game wardens....but you still find Georgia game wardens who aren't very good at doing their jobs without causing a confrontation. When I see the approaching I get everything I know they will ask to see out and ready for them and it is astonishing how often this seems to irritate them. I try to keep the encounter as brief as possible because I hope they got better things to do, I know I do, I don't particularly enjoy having another boat along side mine bouncing and trying to destroy stuff, I don't like dealing with government agents and if it lasts long enough one of them is going to say or do something that hits me wrong, given my propensity for being anti-authority to begin with, and I suffer from the inability to ignore such things. At the end of the day I am in violation of something it was mistake on my part and I will gladly own that and whatever the fine is is so miniscule as to be meaningless to me so I do not need a lecture from a 30 year old who is earning $70K a year. I am happy they are happy with their lives but I am a grown man and if I have made a mistake, which I am certainly capable of doing, I am man enough to own it without being lectured about it. In my experience the mistake in question is not one of my making....it is their misunderstanding of their job and their authority and the rules and regulations that are in place. In 57 years I have been wrong once and I forgot to put a third PFD in a boat when a buddy showed up unexpectedly. Fine was $35 LOL. The other times I have been ticketed by Fish and Game wardens, twice, once for shooting ducks after hours and once for not having a proper registration card were both dismissed because I was guilty of neither charge. But I have received a bunch of lectures about how they would do things differently if they were me....and thats fine, they are free to do whatever the like....but I will do the same, thank you very much.

GAHUNTER60

64 posts and no mention of Karen's looks? Was she fine?

We could not see her very well. She was about 50 yards away on her second story deck, and the glare was pretty bad. We could see that she was maybe a little on the heavy side with blond hair.

However, it would not have mattered one iota even if she looked like Megan Fox, her foul mouth and entitled attitude made about as attractive as Nancy Pelosi!

Whitefeather

Management Material
We could not see her very well. She was about 50 yards away on her second story deck, and the glare was pretty bad. We could see that she was maybe a little on the heavy side with blond hair.

However, it would not have mattered one iota even if she looked like Megan Fox, her foul mouth and entitled attitude made about as attractive as Nancy Pelosi!

So no pics….dangg

Jack Flynn

Did she have a southern drawl or one of those "you ain't from around here are ya"? sounds lol

sleepr71

You should have pulled out your Air Horn & started “testing” it. You know..in case your boat breaks down,or something…?

ghadarits

I'm a dock owner and have to say it is aggravating to have to dee hook the dock before letting kids on it can be a pain. Especially when they're imbedded in the boat upholstery and carpet. The stuff hung up on the wood or wedged in between poles and wood decking isn't too bad. I fish other peoples docks also but try and be extra respectful since I have to deal with it also.

I'll have to take a picture of all the line and lures I take off of the light when I have to reposition after the fisherman drag it around trying to get un hung.

I could probably cut my aggravation way back if I got rid of the all the brush from around the dock and got rid of my light but I like them so I deal with it.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
What has fishing with minnows got to do with it? You acting like that to mess up someone's fishing just doesn't make sense. I would call the game warden instantly, as Ga law prohibits interference with sportsman enjoying the outdoors. (Google search...people getting fined for harassing outdoorsman). Spoiler alert......you may own the dock, BUT, you don't own the water or the fish that swim around your dock.

Yeah, I have never understood getting mad at someone catching fish in any public water. They ain't mine. They're Gods and everyone has an equal right to catch them, I don't care where the fish are located. If I'm not on your private property fishing, or damaging your private property in the act of fishing then it should be a non issue.

Dr. Strangelove

My family had a lakehouse on Keowee for many years. We never really minded the fishermen as long as they kept their distance if we were actively using the dock. Jet Skis and ski boats were more of an issue for us.

hawkeye123

Yeah, I have never understood getting mad at someone catching fish in any public water. They ain't mine. They're Gods and everyone has an equal right to catch them, I don't care where the fish are located. If I'm not on your private property fishing, or damaging your private property in the act of fishing then it should be a non issue.
Totally agree, my comment was a joke, have never actually done this, just told my neighbors I should, when someone anchored off my dock on more than 1 occasion and caught 30+ spawning crappie while we were fishing off our dock! Literally could only fish off one side cause they had 5-6 corks bobbing, of course they are fisherman not Sportsman- big difference, my dad and grandad taught me that you have lowest scum- poachers, then you have hunters & fisherman, who mostly obey game laws then you have a Sportsman which you should aspire to be, steward who leaves an area cleaner then when he arrives & only takes wheat he eats , etc, etc

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
According to the states release it applies to those lakes when in the state. I assume it makes no difference where your boat is registered or where you put in etc.
The SC law applies to the docks on the SC side of the Lake only.

Robust Redhorse

Yeah, it's ignorant that Karen and her 1,000 friends don't have the intelligence to know that they don't have ANY rights to "their" dock, which is almost always sitting on public (USACOE) property.

These lake-dwellers don't have a clue that their property line ends 100 - 200 feet BEFORE their boat dock.

But, by the same token, do you know that someone might camp and fish in your front yard, if there is a federal, state or local public right-of-way between the road and your house?

Just saying...

No substantial legal difference.

Last edited:

natureman

I did hear several years ago, one of the big marinas was running fishermen out, and if they didn't leave, they called Hall Count Police. When Hall County's finest arrived, they first told the fishermen to leave, and if they argued their rights, they cited them! Apparently, the Hall County Court upheld the citations and fined the "offenders."

I guess the fine was low enough that no one ever took it further up the legal chain.
The marina leases are written to include control of the water area since that is where the docks and big money is. Some operators take it a little too seriously while others welcome fishermen who spend money there. Although a strong argument can be made that it is public water, in reality the lease instrument would rule. Like anything it is probably selectively enforced.