Miguel Cervantes

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Do as you're told Shuggums and I don't have a doubt you'll bounce back pretty quick!! Take care & hugs, prayers and good vibes being sent out to you!

georgia357

Prayers sent, Hugh.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Thanks everyone for the support and prayers. It means a lot to me as I continue to sort out my "new normal".

You don't realize how critical hand / eye dexterity is until you lose it to some degree and your job is working with autocad all day. For now, it simply isn't working out, but I'm pushing little by little to see if improvements can be gained.

You folks encouragement and prayers are important to me.

Thank you.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Thanks everyone for the support and prayers. It means a lot to me as I continue to sort out my "new normal".

You don't realize how critical hand / eye dexterity is until you lose it to some degree and your job is working with autocad all day. For now, it simply isn't working out, but I'm pushing little by little to see if improvements can be gained.

Thank you.

Thanks for stopping by, know your in my prayers.
Keep up the good fight my friend.

Cmp1

BANNED

Thank you.
Great to hear from you Miggy,,,,continue to heal my friend,,,,prayers with you,,,,miss your commentary over in the PF,,,,

cramer

You can't keep a good man down!
Prayers for continued improvement and relentless energy to over come , Hugh!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Thank you.
Glad to hear this. The therapy will do wonders

normaldave

GON Weatherman

Thank you.

Great to hear from you...You know the drill, when confronted with an obstacle, sometimes you have to wait, and find the unexpected path around it. There is always another way. Your designs and ability to visualize outcomes are in the brain, just find another way to transfer/communicate them through recovery. Reminds me of WSB radio political reporter Jamie Dupree and losing his ability to speak:
Jamie Dupree 2.0

My greatest victories, in the face of certain mechanical defeat, have come after taking a break, a turkey sandwich, sweet tea, thinking about something else, and as you already know, more and different conversations with our Creator doesn't hurt either.

So, since you dropped in, can you give me an update on the forecast of "spinney things", specifically IMBY? :bounce:::ke: (translation: looking forward to a huge recovery for you).

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster

Thank you.

Hugh,
Hang in there. I know that age does make a difference (young brains tend to recover better that us old guys), but the brain is one of the body's organs that is still very little understood, and pretty remarkable. My daughter had a traumatic brain injury in 2011, the spring before she graduated from high school (auto accident). Her early prognosis was not very good. Docs told us to go home and start adding ramps, handicap-accessible showers, etc., as part of the effect of her injury was that she lost motor control of her legs and could not walk. The docs did say that (as you elaborated in your story) that the brain can bypass the damaged cells and re-route it's signals.

Paige ended up at Shepard Center in Atlanta for a month, and they worked wonders, although I think the real motivator for her was her grandmother showing up one day and started showing her pictures of dresses that would work for prom and graduation in a wheelchair. She decided she'd have none of that, and her progress increased dramatically. A few weeks later, she walked out of Shepard. She has completely recovered, graduated from UGA a couple years ago, and is now at LSU Law School.

Hang in the buddy. Find something you are passionate about and let that be your motivator. Best wishes.
Dave

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear from you, and hope the new normal gets back to the old normal soon. That's scary stuff.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things

Thank you.
Keep at it Hugh, glad you stopped by. Continued prayers for you brother!

georgia357

Hugh,
Hang in there. I know that age does make a difference (young brains tend to recover better that us old guys), but the brain is one of the body's organs that is still very little understood, and pretty remarkable. My daughter had a traumatic brain injury in 2011, the spring before she graduated from high school (auto accident). Her early prognosis was not very good. Docs told us to go home and start adding ramps, handicap-accessible showers, etc., as part of the effect of her injury was that she lost motor control of her legs and could not walk. The docs did say that (as you elaborated in your story) that the brain can bypass the damaged cells and re-route it's signals.

Paige ended up at Shepard Center in Atlanta for a month, and they worked wonders, although I think the real motivator for her was her grandmother showing up one day and started showing her pictures of dresses that would work for prom and graduation in a wheelchair. She decided she'd have none of that, and her progress increased dramatically. A few weeks later, she walked out of Shepard. She has completely recovered, graduated from UGA a couple years ago, and is now at LSU Law School.

Hang in the buddy. Find something you are passionate about and let that be your motivator. Best wishes.
Dave

Thank you for sharing that, congratulations to your daughter for not giving up.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Never give up, my friend. Here is another story for your enjoyment:

My Grandfather purchased a farm in 1929. Tup, One of his older brothers, was a carpenter and told him that when the time was right he would build a new house to replace the 1850s one that was there. (Dad said that you could look through the cracks in the floorboards and see the chickens under the house.) Grandad had the money saved for materials by 1935 but Tup had had a stroke and had little use of one arm and leg. He told PaPa that he would build the house. My Dad was 22 and he had a couple of late teenaged brothers to help. PaPa actually laughed at him but they ordered the materials and got started. Dad said that about half way through the job Tup discarded the crutch that he had been using and by the time he finished he was climbing ladders and using both hands.

Side story:
Tup was a typical carpenter of the era. The last hour or so of each day he spent cleaning and sharpening his tools. He had purchased a new Disston hand saw just before starting on PaPa's house. Several weeks into the job he got disgusted with the saw claiming that it would not hold an edge. He threw the saw out in the yard where it lay till after the house was finished. Dad picked it up later. He used that saw for the rest of his life and I have had it for about 30 years. It is far and away the best handsaw that I own and I have never sharpened it. LOL

We are all rooting for you Hugh. Get after it with the 60Grit.