Miguel Cervantes

Matthew6

Banned thug
Never give up, my friend. Here is another story for your enjoyment:

My Grandfather purchased a farm in 1929. Tup, One of his older brothers, was a carpenter and told him that when the time was right he would build a new house to replace the 1850s one that was there. (Dad said that you could look through the cracks in the floorboards and see the chickens under the house.) Grandad had the money saved for materials by 1935 but Tup had had a stroke and had little use of one arm and leg. He told PaPa that he would build the house. My Dad was 22 and he had a couple of late teenaged brothers to help. PaPa actually laughed at him but they ordered the materials and got started. Dad said that about half way through the job Tup discarded the crutch that he had been using and by the time he finished he was climbing ladders and using both hands.

Side story:
Tup was a typical carpenter of the era. The last hour or so of each day he spent cleaning and sharpening his tools. He had purchased a new Disston hand saw just before starting on PaPa's house. Several weeks into the job he got disgusted with the saw claiming that it would not hold an edge. He threw the saw out in the yard where it lay till after the house was finished. Dad picked it up later. He used that saw for the rest of his life and I have had it for about 30 years. It is far and away the best handsaw that I own and I have never sharpened it. LOL

We are all rooting for you Hugh. Get after it with the 60Grit.
I woke up with a lazy streak this morning and you just motivated me to get off my tail and take care of my work

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Wish I could do the same like I used to. Need a rest every 30 to 45 minutes now. That wouldn't be so bad but for the rests being an hour or two long.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Wish I could do the same like I used to. Need a rest every 30 to 45 minutes now. That wouldn't be so bad but for the rests being an hour or two long.

I understand the situation completely. However, I doubt the 30 to 45 minute work sessions. Probably more like 15-20 minutes ::ke:

GunnSmokeer

Hugh, get well soon. I'm praying for your successful recovery.

And to the extent that this thread serves as a warning to other people about the danger of strokes, I should mention that a good friend of mine who is only a couple years older than myself suddenly died at age 55 from a brain-bleeding stroke a week ago. She did not complain about any particular health problems in the hours, days, or weeks before the fatal stroke.

P.S. I say she "died suddenly" but that's not technically true. She passed out suddenly and was rushed to the hospital where doctors found almost no brain function other than what little part of the brain stem was being used to keep her heart pumping and her lungs breathing. That lasted a few days, and then even that stopped.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Preciate all of the prayers and well wishes.

Still not 100% up to speed on work with autocad, but making progress.
Getting up to speed on getting back in shape is gonna be tougher. We took our first hike since the stroke up to Amicolola falls yesterday. I made the trail and 175 stairs to the base of the falls, but learned enough between my knees and my brain pounding that I wasn't going to do the other 500 stairs to the top.

We plan on hitting a good many trails this fall so with the new Vegetarian / Pescatarian diet and regular exercise I should get back to some other shape besides a pear. Not giving up for sure, just not sure if I'll ever be able to take those back country treks I used to do anymore.

The new diet means I'm contemplating whether I even need to keep some of my pea shooters or not since bambi isn't on the diet anymore. Lot's of ponderin to do on that matter.

Life is good, live it for all it's worth..........one day at a time.

Cmp1

BANNED

Getting up to speed on getting back in shape is gonna be tougher. We took our first hike since the stroke up to Amicolola falls yesterday. I made the trail and 175 stairs to the base of the falls, but learned enough between my knees and my brain pounding that I wasn't going to do the other 500 stairs to the top.

We plan on hitting a good many trails this fall so with the new Vegetarian / Pescatarian diet and regular exercise I should get back to some other shape besides a pear. Not giving up for sure, just not sure if I'll ever be able to take those back country treks I used to do anymore.

The new diet means I'm contemplating whether I even need to keep some of my pea shooters or not since bambi isn't on the diet anymore. Lot's of ponderin to do on that matter.

Amen brother,,,,Howdy buds,,,,Prayers for you,,,,

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good to hear from you!!!

So no more Potluck breakfast??

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Wow just saw this.

Sweetwater

Great to see you on the forum Hugh. Keep fighting the fight man, never surrender.
Your contributions to this forum are invaluable, from your detailed display of weather knowledge to your .....cough....bubbly personality, you are one of the bedrock posters here that make this place the awesome place it is.

Hurry back bro.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Overall, sounds like good news to me Hugh. Hope to hear of future improvements and progress.

Stay strong and continued prayers for you bud.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Great to see you on the forum Hugh. Keep fighting the fight man, never surrender.
Your contributions to this forum are invaluable, from your detailed display of weather knowledge to your .....cough....bubbly personality, you are one of the bedrock posters here that make this place the awesome place it is.

Hurry back bro.
:smash: Sweeeeeet, git ova here & clean up my 'puter screen for me!!:rofl::rofl:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
miggy

thanks for counting the stairs. I have often wondered. Keep working at it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Keep your hands on those pea shooters Hugh. You're going to get back in fighting trim. I know the real 60 Grit well. Tha boy ain't got no quit in him.:wink::rockon:

Dub

Hang in there and keep on grinding it out.....do what works for you and do it with the passion and zeal that comes with knowing the gift of life is a precious one. Everything is gonna fall in line for you.

Hang onto those pea shooters.....or trade them for some some target-fun guns.

Prayers for you.